Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Tools

Archive::Tools Archive area for Tools's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 07-24-2003, 05:52 PM
Draugr
Hill Giant

Default Exporting Zones for use in????

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone ever created a tool that would allow you to export a zone or zones in EQ and convert them to a format useable in other first person games like Quake III, Unreal (the latest version), Tribes, etc...

If anyone has any info on this please let me know or if you know of a site where someone is converting zones to other game formats.

Thanks
John
Old 07-24-2003, 05:58 PM
Draugr
Hill Giant

Ok, one more question. I am a BIG EQ fan obviously as I probably wouldn't be here if I wasn't. I just thought about this. Is there any programs that will elt you export a model and skins and place them into another game like Quake III, Tribes, etc....

What I'd love to do is use the EQ zones in a FPS type game and even import and use bots or NPC enemies that would be EQ Hill Giants, Dragons, Gnolls and such. Does anyone know if this is possible? If it is I'll fall over dead from a heart attack.

Thanks Again
John
Old 07-25-2003, 01:25 AM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

I know your post isn't specifically about OpenZone, but I thought I'd put my two cents in...

Adding the ability to export an existing zone in OpenZone might be possible, but I deliberately left out the ability to load existing zones for two reasons:

1. Existing zones, models, etc. are the property of SOE regardless of what file format they're in, and it isn't legal to distribute that information. OpenZone's main purpose is for people to create original content. If I add the abiltity to work with SOE zones, we all know some idiot would start distributing exported SOE zones and OpenZone would wind up taking the blame (yes, I know, there's no reason why I should be held responsible for other people's actions, but this is what happens when too many lawyers are sucking oxygen).

2. I don't want people using OpenZone to cheat in EQLive. It would understandably make SOE go ballistic, and it would rub me the wrong way, too. If OpenZone could load existing SOE zones there's the possibility that people could put shortcuts in zones to cheat (e.g. putting bridges in Sol B). That is definitely not the purpose of OpenZone and I don't want it twisted that way (I also don't want OpenZone or EQEmu in general taking the blame for idiots using it to cheat).

WC
Old 07-26-2003, 08:59 AM
steve
Discordant

Hmm...

I don't think they could blame you for releasing the program. It's possible, but unlikely. This reminds me of a certain filesharing program that was sued because it allowed people to share illegal files. The judge ruled in favor of the developers of the program, since they had no control over how the program was used once it was out of their hands.

As for cheating in EQ... I'm pretty sure it checksums the zone before it lets you zone in, and if it's wrong, it kicks you to the server select. Can anyone verify this?
Old 08-08-2003, 05:57 AM
daeken_bb
Discordant

There are always ways around checksums.

Check out my deviantART page at http://daeken.deviantart.com/
Old 10-23-2003, 12:54 PM
Bluezone
Fire Beetle

I've been wanting exactly this for a long time. Mostly just maps for something like half-life, but character models would be great too :P . Anyway.. I would totally love that, unfortunately I can't offer anything to help it happen..
Old 01-18-2005, 08:46 AM
Bluezone
Fire Beetle

I know this hasn't been touched on in forever, but I thought I'd comment here again in case it sparks any interest.

Now that Half-Life 2 and some other FPS's are out, Wouldn't it be beat to have EQ themed maps? Kelethin would be such an awesome HL2 - deathmatch map :|

Previously, I had messed with some of the zones in 3Dstudio and imported random objects into Hammer.. but it would be nice to import all of the world geometry from, say, North Freeport into the HL editor.
What kinds of legalities might get in the way of that?
Old 01-18-2005, 10:40 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

If you're making it just to send to a few friends, you won't run into legal issues. If you distribute it publicly, SOE has every right to take legal action, as you're creating and distributing derivative works without their consent. Whether you charge for your zone or not has no bearing on their right to take legal action against you.

Under various laws such as the DMCA, SOE may even be able to argue that since the primary goal of a zone converter is to create derivative works of their zones, then the tool itself is illegal. You are effectively asking others to risk their neck creating a tool whose primary objective is to infringe copyright.

Maybe somebody will make one for you. Will it be me? Not just no, but HELL NO!
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.