Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Tools

Archive::Tools Archive area for Tools's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:26 AM
mburnett

I can certainly make one that would use a config file similar to leslamarchs old one for the button urls and have the launcher setup to automaticly update the ip address the same way i do now there are some tweaks that leslamarch asked me to incorperate for him for easy usage but i can make a basic one for everyone and then build on the more hardcore one so to speak but ill be straight with you all im gunna need a bit of help with where i want to take it from here i cant do it on my own
Old 04-20-2008, 10:49 AM
mburnett

Ok everyone I am going to post a link within the next hour or so to a launcher for private server owners this wont have the mysql functionality but will instead utilize a variation of the peq updater script it will have just about all the functionality of the hard coded version but with one addition that being that there is a config file in the build where the server admin can set up the app how they want to with a few very fast edits to the values it will auto update the ip for the user based on their logging into the launcher and for people who play from the same ip there is a button they click to update their ip before zoning so their ip updates with the click of the mouse saving time from having to relogin....

more to come
Old 04-20-2008, 11:48 AM
mburnett

Default sorry hit a snag with the launcher

sorry everyone hit a slight snag witht he launcher i think im actually getting tired lol might have to wait till later for me to post the binaries
Old 04-20-2008, 12:22 PM
mburnett

Default Release

http://filebeam.com/de7c0b77ca076c1c161398caa6d37710

follow the readme

this is an alpha release so it might be buggy so keep me informed
Old 04-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Knightly
Accomplished Programmer

I'd recommend being careful about compiling the login information for MySQL into the code. It may be paranoia, but I always feel that anything that goes into the code can be retrieved from the code. Since the user you're using has to have rights to update your account table, it's something you really want to protect.

The way I've seen a lot of them done is that they interface with a back end (other than MySQL) that does the database authentication for them. That way any code authenticating to the back end is client side...but if it's compromised all you have access to is what a user would have access to, rather than what a DB writer would have access to.

If you're not good at client/server programming (I'm sure not), the way that I did mine was using a backend web interface that the user authenticates to. It's just a bunch of PHP pages that return error/success codes. Not to say that's the best way to do it, client/server apps are much more elegant...but it works with little effort.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:09 PM
mburnett

actually dofuscator thats all i got to say on that one lol try retrieving it from the code ill even tell you where it is in the code and give you binaries with my db information in them lol however youhavent paid attention to what said this is a version for the community it has none of that and uses an adaptation of peq updater not that it matters because you would need alot more then a normal pc's processing power to successfully decompile and decrypt the binaries
Old 04-20-2008, 08:13 PM
mburnett

oh and one more thing as already stated the launcher DOES NOT update the mysql at all a web script does that i would have to say that client server apps that you suggest are by far more insecure because my way they have to decrypt a whole binary and decompile it where as your way all they gotta do is crack the packet structure
Old 04-21-2008, 08:56 AM
mburnett

also if this gets a good response in time i want to get togeter with the main emu devs and see if they cant make a version that works with the public loginserver, not really for any reason other then one ease of use for the end user instead of having to make a sortcut and edit it and all that and for a means of making ls accounts besides the forums but i dunno ill have to talk privatly with the devs about that
Old 04-21-2008, 11:02 AM
TheLieka
Developer

Very interesting.

Dax

Former ServerOp - Vallon Zek / Tallon Zek Emu Server - Legit / Guild PvP - (2007 - 2011 RIP)
Old 04-21-2008, 11:15 AM
mburnett

ummm what is? lol
Old 04-21-2008, 11:24 AM
mburnett

UPDATE!!!!

i have updated it to automaticly creat the eqhost.txt file based on the info in the configuration file

http://filebeam.com/dad4abaa35da6de89427df5be3ad0816 NEW BINARY
Old 04-21-2008, 06:32 PM
mburnett

Ok here is an informational update on the project. As suggested i have begun work on a new version that will use client and server protocol for the authentication account creation and automatic updating of the up address. I have also contacted Doodman to discuss the possibility of working the server end of the authentication code into minilogin itself so taht it accepts the information from the launcher and updates the ip that way. PLEASE NOTE that this will NOT in any way change how minilogin works it will only do this authentication with the launcher not the everquest client IF He decides to help me with this
Old 04-21-2008, 08:13 PM
mburnett

ok I have put up a site

http://eqemulaunch.no-ip.org:83/default.aspx

Id greatly appreciate it if a mod or admin could put this in the main post

Id like everyone who has downloaded this launcher to register on the site and use the forums to give me feedback and bug reports and questions / requests as this post will only be updated for major changes from now on
Old 04-22-2008, 09:25 AM
mburnett

Default Launcher Auto ip updater

Ok I have made it a client server application binaries will be up on the site ASAP it works perfectly and the server handles all the authentication and ip updating i havent made it create the accounts yet so keep using the modified peq updater script i include in the zip files

Also i have added the abbility to either use md5 password encryption or turn it off and use plain text in the launcher config file

this requires .net 2.0 to run!
Just putting the finishing touches on the readme in the archives

http://eqemulaunch.no-ip.org:83/page...page=downloads

TO THE EMU DEVS: if posible id like to get this included in the minilogin releases if you guys need the source just let me know.

Last edited by TheLieka; 04-22-2008 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: Merged post into stickied thread.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:30 AM
mburnett

There was a bug in the way the eqhost.txt file updates i am fixing it now sorry guys