Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:39 AM
kokey98
Hill Giant

Default is this normal for win10

I recently upgraded to win 10... forced due to new gpu and dx12 etc.

i removed all the old eqserver stuff and started anew. decided to compile a x64 server and didn't have any problems during compiling etc.

in order for the .bat files to work or world/zone.exe i have to set them to run as administrator. my UAC is as low as possible, fwiw. (the individual files themselves, not just the overall script or bat file alone)

in order for world.exe to not have problems or "5" loaded zone.exe closed and reopened constatnly in console readout (5/5 up/down etc), i had to set them individually as "run as admin" in addition the starting script. (via shortcuts, because win10 doesn't have an option in properties to "run as admin" for .bat files for some f%ing reason, so let's have redundant nonsense for no reason in my folder that i can accidentally click the wrong one that won't load, lol).

anway, is this dangerous or anythign to be worried about? not just 'as long as firewall rules exist... actually safe etc. every exe file is set to run as admin as well as any .pl script or bat file... otherwise it won't load properly. maybe i don't need all this way, but trial and error showed world and zone definitely need to be.

what i read online trying to find an easier solution with no effort invovled is that it isn't wise to force all thigns to run as admin by default to avoid this extra work. if that's not wise, then maybe this isn't either.

fwiw, it's not open to public. private loginserver only, but i am connected and various services are running that have the ability to do so, which could be a securty hole, maybe?

while i didn't verify everything, the server loads, i can log on... create a bot... it casts magic etc... npcs are talking.. quests work... things seem okay in a not so thorough investigation.