Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:22 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Default EQ2002: The Better Planes of Power [ROF2]

Hey folks,

It's been a while since I had an EverQuest itch, let alone any sort of itch for EverQuest :)

I'd like to share with you all what I have been working on, and would appreciate some feedback regarding the concept.

What is EQ2002/BetterEQ?

EverQuest 2002: The Better Planes of Power is a new server similar to The Al'Kabor Project or Project2002 - but instead of recreating the era as it was in to a tee, I am allowing modern conveniences that are seen in servers such as Phinigel to exist.
Consider it a server that is aiming to recreate the feeling of 2002 EverQuest, but with modern conveniences that do not compromise the experience such as instancing, IP limits, mercenaries (at 10% effectiveness), the extended target window, and aggro meters.
One thing that will be removed, however, is the resting feature from modern EQ. This is the only feature I feel that is too extreme to keep in. The lack of resting would only

Why do we need this? What separates the server from Phinigel and what separates the server from TAKP/P2002?
Phinigel does not recreate the era and mechanics close enough that you would find the experience enjoyable or challenging, but TAKP/P2002's clients, 3-boxing limit, and contested environments leave out the casual player that just wants to play EverQuest through rose-tinted glasses using a single character.
To come to these conclusions, I ask myself, "is this a game I would like to play?" and make changes based on that. In a traditional Dungeons and Dragons sense, it is up to your game master to create the world and for you to embrace the experience within.

Policies, Rules and Regulations
  • Experience gain will be close, or similar, to the P99 rate of experience. The reason for this is the modern benefits of being able to progress all the time.

• MacroQuest/Cheating/Automation is high treason. You will be executed for using exploits of any kind if found out. By executed, I mean de-leveled to 1 with all your gear nuked. There won't be punishments for guild drama as every raid zone will eventually be instanced. As such, there will be little rule enforcement outside of this.

• Corpse runs will be disabled, however, res effects will be applied for full duration upon death above level 30 or higher, or rez - additionally, your mana pool and endurance pool will be set to 0 if level 30 or higher. I realize you all have lives, and some of you wives. Medding for 5 minutes won't kill you.

• You choose when to have an experience bonus via the once-per-day 30 minute experience buff, located under your AAs. When this is depleted, you have to gain experience the old way for 24 hours.

• The Vet AA that returns you to guild lobby functions once per day, and takes you to PoK; One of the most frustrating functions of classic EverQuest is that you will end up getting left behind on a raid or group as a melee, with no port out. This is also a great way of getting a level 1 to PoK to get a mercenary.

• Mercenaries are enabled, however, they have 10% of the stats they normally do on live. This is in order to re-balance mercenaries and provide a method for soloing on melee classes. Or maybe you just need to fill a spot in your group; I am not your dad, I don't tell you what to do. There is a single mercenary vendor in PoK near the Main Bank. If you prefer a chick to follow you around, there's one at the Dark Bank, because girls are edgy.

• High ZEM (zone experience modifier) zones, such as any zone that has a ZEM over 110, are now set to 110. This is to allow for variety in dungeon crawls and to prevent the situation where Highkeep is the only zone to play in.

• IP limit of 1 character. This is to ensure you don't get carpal tunnel or frustration from boxing multiple characters. Unless you play a bard on P99, then you have other issues. Strictly speaking, this is one of the defining features of the server.

• Instancing. We're all adults now, I don't think there is/was a person who used to play EverQuest that is still in highschool/college unless they saw their dad playing it at one point. Camping/socking NPCs is something I would like to keep in the past.

• IP exemptions will not be handed out until the server is more established. I don't care that your mother/father/gentleman/wife/dog wants to play EverQuest, they can play it later.

• All zones have been returned to their classic variants except for the Bazaar and Arena. This is just, in general, a good idea and adds to the experience. This includes highkeep.

• The spells file used on this server is from the latest Rain of Fear client, in order to provide modern focus/worn support and general gameplay enhancements. In addition, spells from later eras, such as Salve and Discs are in. There are optional text file downloads that you may have to perform to play this server, more information in the MOTD when you log in.

• Tradeskills function like live. Not much to say here. Less carpal tunnel.

• Extended Target / Threat Meter is in.
Feedback
I would like to hear feedback, so please post in this topic with your experiences or if you have any suggestions. I am open to suggestions but very concrete on this plan for the game server.

Testing
There will be an open test this weekend based on what I have completed thus far. The server will be open from 12AM EST March 11th, 2017 until 12AM EST March 13th, 2017 and changes will be made based on your feedback.

Special thanks
Lastly, I would like to give thanks to the EQEmulator, PEQ and TAKP team and contributors for making this possible and for maintaining the codebase for all of these years. The emulator is in a shape it's never been before, and it's all thanks to you guys.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:38 PM
jhiller
Fire Beetle

And how long before you get bored of this and abandon it? I cannot believe anyone would play on one of your servers. No one's characters are safe. How many is this for you now? Any player can go back years and years ago and see all the threads of the abandoned servers you created. You just start them up, play with them a while and then either get pissed or bored of it and abandon. This is going to be like watching a rerun of "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:56 PM
The_Beast
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiller View Post
And how long before you get bored of this and abandon it? I cannot believe anyone would play on one of your servers. No one's characters are safe. How many is this for you now? Any player can go back years and years ago and see all the threads of the abandoned servers you created. You just start them up, play with them a while and then either get pissed or bored of it and abandon. This is going to be like watching a rerun of "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray.
You talk like these servers owe you something. They are not obligated to commit themselves to a lifetime of creating enjoyment for you, so enjoy them when they are around.
drama queens with no gratitude for anything.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:59 PM
jhiller
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beast View Post
You talk like these servers owe you something. They are not obligated to commit themselves to a lifetime of creating enjoyment for you, so enjoy them when they are around.
drama queens with no gratitude for anything.
No, they do not owe me anything. But reading the fallout for the 20th time is entertaining. I will just pull up a chair and eat some popcorn. Hell why not, should be entertaining again....

/chomp_popcorn
Old 03-11-2017, 12:02 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
I am not forcing you or anyone else to play here. I am providing an option for you to play EverQuest.

If you don't like it, or myself - don't play here.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:02 AM
jhiller
Fire Beetle

Not an issue, most will not. Also nice how you do not have to go through the normal server procedures to get a green server.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:04 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Not an issue, most will not.
That's okay, I wasn't looking for your approval anyways.

The server is not green, that was an accident based on an old server I ran.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:06 AM
jhiller
Fire Beetle

Nice accident. Been like that a few days now. Cannot get the accident fixed?
Old 03-11-2017, 12:06 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Nice accident. Been like that a few days now. Cannot get the accident fixed?
If I had control over the server listings, I would change it. Talk to Akkadius about it.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:14 AM
jhiller
Fire Beetle

I will quit pooping on your thread, but I do not think I will be the last one with an opinion on this.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:16 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
I will quit pooping on your thread, but I do not think I will be the last one with an opinion on this.
I don't expect you to be.

Thank you for being respectful.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:41 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

By the looks of this whole Server Discussion section, it's just not worth it to post a discussion on here and expect an intelligent
conversation. This server hasn't even started yet. Definately an eye opener for me. I am a big fan of classic era servers, so I
hope it goes well with you Secrets.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:50 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPY View Post
By the looks of this whole Server Discussion section, it's just not worth it to post a discussion on here and expect an intelligent
conversation. This server hasn't even started yet. Definately an eye opener for me. I am a big fan of classic era servers, so I
hope it goes well with you Secrets.
Thank you; I hope it goes well too.
I look forward to anyone checking things out.

I have opened the server in a testing phase a bit early. Barring major exploits, I do not expect a wipe at this time, but be prepared in any case if something goes wrong.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:34 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

The only thing that I have against Secrets is that he still hasn't seen Grandma's Boy after I've been telling him to see it for years.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:41 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkadius View Post
The only thing that I have against Secrets is that he still hasn't seen Grandma's Boy after I've been telling him to see it for years.
I even bought the movie and haven't watched it yet.