Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:38 AM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

I took a few minutes playing around with the eqbrowser, seeing how stuff is being done. Since sounds and animations are interesting, wrote a quick mouse raycaster thingie and now you can click stuff.

@ensane I would love to help with the EQEMU/browser support, I just know I don't have enough time due to RL projects.

Here's that demo. (I forked the project and pushed any changes I did)
http://gigaplox.com/eq/web.html

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 11-21-2013, 05:30 AM
Tyen05
Discordant

Any help on networking is valuable. I plan on purchasing NGUI way later.

Lol at your build. The NPCs were a good touch, and lol @ dark elf doing a human monk animation with keypress 6. Some hilarious wiggle arms.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Tyen05
Discordant

Update:

New assets incoming soon, this includes another pass of the NPCs as there are more heads and textures that need to be added.

As shown in Shin's build there were some textures missing, so that's going to be fixed.

More info on this round of Assets soon.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Tyen05
Discordant

ECOMMONS example - textures, texture maps, zone model, object models, object Locations via XML

Models in .x format - I use http://mofo.pns.to/wibs/#5 to import .x into 3ds max

http://eqbrowser.com/misc/ecommons.rar

Old 12-12-2013, 05:39 PM
sereal
Fire Beetle

A lot of the work could be mitigated by using an already established opensource client.
One example would be "Ryzom" http://www.ryzomcore.org/ One of the interesting things they did was release ALL of their games assets under the CC license.

Worldforge is another one... http://www.worldforge.org/

I mean don't reinvent the wheel guys.

I'll also say that I think there are some issues with unity and linux. The main one that comes to mind (I could be wrong) is that development can't be done on linux you can only target binaries for linux.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Tyen05
Discordant

-Importing EQ assets and having the client communicate with an Eqemu server has to happen regardless of what we use.
-We are using EQ assets only.
-Both of those clients look like they don't run in a browser.
-Id rather use a platform that is becoming the standard for game development which has employees and updates.

-I don't believe the phrase "reinventing the wheel" is applicable when saying "Move from Unity to some other platform."
Old 12-13-2013, 02:57 PM
sereal
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyen05 View Post
-Importing EQ assets and having the client communicate with an Eqemu server has to happen regardless of what we use.
-We are using EQ assets only.
Agreed. Though there are advantages in regards to having alternate free to distribute and modify assets. Someone else might be more qualified to discuss the legality of distributing the EQ client assets (and effectively running it in the browser is doing that)

Quote:
-Both of those clients look like they don't run in a browser.
Unity browser extension does not run in linux (as far as I can tell). The advantage of the browser is portability and what you're proposing is not portable. Technology like http://threejs.org/ is far more portable.

Quote:
-Id rather use a platform that is becoming the standard for game development which has employees and updates.
That's arguable. Unity has a indie following for sure. Ryzom has employees and if you bothered to look at the technology at all you would see a very active reop https://bitbucket.org/ryzom/ryzomcore/commits/all

Quote:
-I don't believe the phrase "reinventing the wheel" is applicable when saying "Move from Unity to some other platform."
Of course it is applicable. You are doing the work other platforms have already done. It's not like i'm says to use say a techX engine.

Going with unity means you exclude certain developers. Specifically any linux developers.

Regardless it's not my project. I can understand why someone familiar with unity might want to stick with it instead of learning something new. Maybe I misinterpreted the reasons behind the project.

I had mostly assumed this was to allow the EQ client to be run on platforms other than ms windows.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Ensane
Fire Beetle

Actually Unity does compile to Linux now and unity is far more powerful then Ryzom and will save alot more time with a better pipeline for importing and using are from eq too being able to code and test systems.

Anyways, im working with the EQ browser project now as well and im working on a UI system to load EQ's ui .xml data and recreate EQ's ui within Unity.

We are also working on getting a simple connection to authenticate to and from eqemu and unity.

There should be alot of progress made in the comming weeks, as this develops we may need more help. Right now it would be kind of EQEmu to release us a few of there source files so this process can speed up =P
Old 12-13-2013, 03:49 PM
sereal
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Actually Unity does compile to Linux now and unity is far more powerful then Ryzom and will save alot more time with a better pipeline for importing and using are from eq too being able to code and test systems.
Unity will compile. The web browser thing does not (a quick google showed that apparently they plan on releasing a plugin for linux, but the requirement for a plugin is broken one)

I haven't actually looked too deep into Ryzom so I can't really say one way or the other. Unity is certainly more flexible as a general purpose engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Anyways, im working with the EQ browser project now as well and im working on a UI system to load EQ's ui .xml data and recreate EQ's ui within Unity.

We are also working on getting a simple connection to authenticate to and from eqemu and unity.

There should be alot of progress made in the comming weeks, as this develops we may need more help. Right now it would be kind of EQEmu to release us a few of there source files so this process can speed up =P
What files? EQEmu code is completely available. https://github.com/EQEmu/Server

If you mean the loginserver crypto stuff - that should be released to the public. I still have never received a clear answer to why it hasn't been. That's another discussion though.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:51 PM
sereal
Fire Beetle

on a side note, I take it this isn't the correct git anymore? https://github.com/eqbrowser/EQBrowser only one commit from 6 months ago.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:15 PM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

That is a bummer...
Old 12-13-2013, 11:12 PM
Tyen05
Discordant

Quote:
I haven't actually looked too deep into Ryzom so I can't really say one way or the other.
Ryzom is a joke compared to Unity. This is a Unity thread.

Quote:
Someone else might be more qualified to discuss the legality of distributing the EQ client assets
I don't care

Quote:
Unity has a indie following for sure
Unity has received over $17 million in Venture Capital and has more corporate partnerships than any game development platform on the market.

Quote:
You are doing the work other platforms have already done
Ryzom has not successfully connected to Eqemu nor does it have EQ's assets nor does it run in a browser. Therefore what you said is false.

Quote:
I had mostly assumed this was to allow the EQ client to be run on platforms other than ms windows.
Our domain is eqBROWSER, therefore it is safe to assume it will be for the BROWSER.

Quote:
only one commit from 6 months ago.
That is the correct RELEASE git.

You are most likely not going to see a public repository of non-stable or questionable source linked on Eqbrowser.com. When a big milestone is reached, the git is updated, which contains big plays.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:27 AM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

Running linux here... no browser plugin. Hopefully they get the linux plugin soonish.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:46 AM
Tyen05
Discordant

Update-

Basic Summary:
Besides the regular asset/mechanics grind, we can send and receive packets from Unity to an Eqemu server, but we have to do a handshake for each packet (which is our current networking issue).

Advanced Summary:
We are halfway/half-assed through setting up the EQ packet protocol checksum.

The packets are the easy part, but the protocol acknowledgement system is still unimplemented (OP_Ack) which is our current "hangup".

I've included the Prototype's Source below if you want to check it out.

http://eqbrowser.com/misc/EQLoginClient.zip

Code:
public enum EQProtocolOpCodes 
    { 
        OP_SessionRequest     =       0x01, 
        OP_SessionResponse    =       0x02, 
        OP_Combined           =       0x03, 
        OP_SessionDisconnect  =       0x05, 
        OP_KeepAlive          =       0x06, 
        OP_SessionStatRequest =       0x07, 
        OP_SessionStatResponse=       0x08, 
        OP_Packet             =       0x09, 
        OP_Fragment           =       0x0d, 
        OP_OutOfOrderAck      =       0x11, 
        OP_Ack                =       0x15, 
        OP_AppCombined        =       0x19, 
        OP_OutOfSession       =       0x1d 
    }
Old 12-30-2013, 02:13 PM
drakelord
Hill Giant

When you say hangup, do you mean you just haven't done it yet or are you having an active problem with it?

Edit: And the handshake issue, are you having a problem where you have to re-establish the tcp connection for every packet or something? That would be horrendous.

Tags
pras eqbrowser.com, unity3d