Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:12 PM
Telltolin
Sarnak

Default Exporting character models

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I want to export character models from EQ's S3D files - I found a program that lets me rip the models (EQ Model Viewer), but when I export character models it doesn't preserve any of the texture mapping or, apparently the rigging because they come out looking like this:

It's pretty much impossible to fix, especially without texture mapping being preserved after the export (that screenshot is within the model viewer).

The reason why is because I've taken to 3d printing and, even though my success has been limited so far (with what's linked below, I printed successfully but broke some pieces trying to remove the supports)
https://i.imgur.com/yaXE3zY.png
I'd like to be able to print more than just the statues and props if possible but so far eq model viewer is the only program I've found that can successfully rip models at all with most everything else dealing with textures.

If this is the wrong subforum let me know and I can delete+repost where appropriate

Also unrelated, but hot dang my last login was: 07-29-2012 at 07:25 PM
Old 06-06-2020, 05:35 PM
Gnomish1987
Fire Beetle

If you can get your hands on the oooold file chequip_chr.s3d, you'll find Model Viewer renders and exports those models with all rigging intact. Unfortunately, this file only includes pre-Kunark models (races 1 - 127) and a small, seemingly random handful of Kunark models (scattered across races 128 - 167). Still, that's a sizable chunk of models to work with, including most of what old-school EQ fans would consider worthy of 3D printing.

Here's how gnn looks when viewed from chequip_chr.s3d:

The lack of rigging in other files is a great disappointment for me, too. I do lots of experiments with EQ textures, and if there's no properly rigged model to work on in 3D modeling software, I have to resort to the incredibly clunky process of logging into the game just to see if one little change I made to a texture will look the way I expect it to.