Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:17 PM
mrkcmty3
Sarnak

Default I'm BACK!

Hey,

College got chaotic so I haven't been doing anything EQ/EQemu related for literally 2 1/2 years but I'm back now.

I've been browsing the forums about ships/boats again. (Ordering a copy of SoF, so I can't go online yet.) But have there been any developments with boats?

I'm interested about collision detection still but was wondering the technical feasibility of having an instance/quest which you play as a boat and attack other boats, in an armada clashing scenario?

I gather it won't be hard to get two dozen or so boats fighting one another based off faction standings, but is it possible to get people on them or controlling them?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:49 AM
joligario
Developer

Here's a little info on boats from some step brothers I know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8T095mFdW8
Old 05-27-2010, 01:55 AM
mrkcmty3
Sarnak

Wow, we've come a long way! Will Farrel and the guy from Tom Goes to the Mayor/Tim and Eric's Awesome Show solved the problem?
Old 05-27-2010, 02:22 AM
joligario
Developer

Yeah, I couldn't help myself.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Zothen
Hill Giant

Could someone please tell me the current status on ships and why they are such a problem? I just realized the raft in oasis isnt working at all and the boats in qeynos / freeport are warping badly.

Maybe we could work something out together to get them working.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Demi-God

The old school EQ boats have not worked for a long time as far as you being able to properly walk on them and such due to a DX upgrade in EQ. They were replacd by NPC's at docks and such that you hail for your destination.

The rafts could be setup to work but by default without a quest file no they do not do anything.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:12 PM
devn00b
Demi-God

/cough thread necros!
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 05-17-2011, 09:39 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

the alternative gender of race 73 ship, display some pre-beta viking boat which is very solid
however that thing is HUGE (size of icebreaker) and won't re-size - it simply doesn't fit into a qeynos harbor
Old 05-18-2011, 01:58 AM
Zothen
Hill Giant

1. Where is the solidity of the models stored?

2. Can't we just import a custom model or edit the existing one or is there no editor for that?
Old 05-18-2011, 10:55 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

most likely somewhere in the Client.
repainting the boat, won't make it any more solid
Old 05-18-2011, 12:28 PM
devn00b
Demi-God

The old boats used the old DX6 i think features when they updated to dx7 or 8 (one of those) it broke the old features that made the boats solid. on EQlive they went lazy and just introduced porters at the docks.

You can't really hack in that sorta thing as it a directX feature that is now gone.

That's my understanding of it anyway.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 05-18-2011, 01:26 PM
KLS
Administrator

You could potentially hack the files to make the boat solid by rebuilding it to use the same methods as the iceclad / timerous boats which are still boats and still solid.

It's just a matter of how much reverse engineering and manual file editing you really want to do. I get the feeling it's probably not worth it though.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:34 PM
KingMort
Banned

Quote:
All the servers ive played on knowone uses them,even Live dosent anymore.
Yes they are on Live, they are back , not sure how long they have been back but you can no longer just use a teleporter to get between you have to take the ship just like back in the day.

Anyway Raid Addicts has working Boats / Ships all designed by "Cripp" however right currently they aren't working exactly as they should.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Robregen
Developer

Yes, there were back but since Fippy Darkpaw TLP went live. Many players were getting stuck in OoT and/or boat were not operating as intended. So SoE just put the TL back in place last month. As of now, it's still a problem with boats.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:11 PM
BaobobMiller
Fire Beetle

Default Live boats

The only problem with the boats on live is that SOE is too damn lazy to fix the pathing... the boat model they have is solid as a rock. and you can ride it all day if you want to keep swimming back to catch it... Taking it from Erudin for example gets you to the island just fine... but when the boat leaves the island on it's way back to Qeynos it runs through the zone wall and then warps back on path (without you).

When returning from Qeynos the boat works just fine as well... again until it leaves the dock at the island and promptly wails right through the island itself.

The point about the "editing" the models that was made earlier is completely valid... we have solid character models shaped like boats that can be used. such as the "viking" ship that is used on p99.

No one is talking about "painting" the boats there talking about re-building or rather updating the structure using something tried tested and true... like 3ds max.