Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:27 PM
fennixad
Fire Beetle

Default Accessing and modifying models on client

I play P99, and I am curious if anybody has developed a workflow that allows you to modify the character models.

I've been working with some success on modifying the skins, but my major limitation is that they're wrapped around boxes. If I could wrap them around some more modern geometry, I think I'd have a much better shot.

Any suggestions? I haven't found much in the archives, but I don't exactly know what I'm looking for either.

Thanks a ton.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

I would assume what you're asking is impossible, as it would require modifying the actual client to make it able to read the models in a newer format, however, the impossible becomes the improbable with time and effort. I personally haven't messed with the models, however doing as you're wanting to do seems rather improbable, if not completely impossible.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Tharkun
Hill Giant

wasn't someone messing around with a Open Source client of some type a while back?
Old 11-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharkun View Post
wasn't someone messing around with a Open Source client of some type a while back?
I'm not sure, but if they were, they were likely developing it themselves and not messing with Sony's client.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Tharkun
Hill Giant

You are correct from what I remember. Could be whom ever was working on it, had trouble keeping up with what was being added to Sony's client I'd imagine. SoF is 2 friggin DVD's as it is.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharkun View Post
You are correct from what I remember. Could be whom ever was working on it, had trouble keeping up with what was being added to Sony's client I'd imagine. SoF is 2 friggin DVD's as it is.
Haha, yeah, it would be insane to create your own client and try to keep up with all the new features.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fennixad View Post
I play P99, and I am curious if anybody has developed a workflow that allows you to modify the character models.

I've been working with some success on modifying the skins, but my major limitation is that they're wrapped around boxes. If I could wrap them around some more modern geometry, I think I'd have a much better shot.

Any suggestions? I haven't found much in the archives, but I don't exactly know what I'm looking for either.

Thanks a ton.
Windcatcher wrote some documentation on .wld (geometry) files in the s3d archives a long time ago. If I can dig it up i'll send it your way.

Also we do have a wld file parser in the source already; it's in the azone project, and would have to be heavily modified.

As for adding new races, you'd have to replace existing ones to get that to work.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Telin
Fire Beetle

This would be great. You could do what blizzard just did in the upcoming expansion and make the original EverQuest models look modern instead of changing the art direction and style completely as they did in Luclin.