Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:27 PM
Eealer
Fire Beetle

Default Remote Client Crashing

Hello all,

I am hosting a Server on a Windows 10 x64 VM, and it all seems to be working for the most part. One of the Minor issues being that if you create a character and try to connect to the world the client crashes, but once the client reloads you can get in with no issues.

The issue I am posting about today, unfortunately has no logs for backing it up. Basically what was happening, is that I was playing my EQ on the VM's host machine (VM has 16GB memory, Host has a total of 64GB) and a friend of mine was playing from outside of the local network. Everything seemed to be going fine, but then he suddenly crashed for no apparent reason. When he got the game to load up again we were able to play again for a bit but then it randomly crashed again within 20-30 minutes of connecting. We thought this was odd, but he tried to connect again. This time it kicked him out after his character had only moved a couple of feet.

The locations where he crashed: Once in Crescent Reach, just across the bridge to where the Bear Cubs and Puma Cubs are, while fighting 2 bears and a puma.

Once in Gloomingdeep (tutorialb) over by the ogre and troll scout while fighting a slave warden.

Once in Gloomingdeep at the initial spawn point (across from Aries in the camp)

As for the initial spawn point bit, Gloomingdeep makes us respawn at the starting point everytime a character logs into that zone
, so that's why he was there.

When I started looking at all the server windows, I noticed in the loginserver that it there was a couple of error complaints where the loginserver was complaining about bad allocation from client but I couldn't see anything else in any of the server windows that looked like an error.

Has anybody else had that issue? I noticed that the bad allocation error had been showing up for probably 1-2 hours worth of logs though.

Is there a fix for this error?

I will post the exact text from the loginserver next time it shows up, but for now, that is all that I have got. Please let me know if there is anything that I can provide that might help with troubleshooting this issue
Old 07-06-2018, 01:48 AM
Eealer
Fire Beetle

Default Local Network Access now too

So my local network client has also decided to start crashing. I grabbed 2 of the debug logs (I dont know if that helps anyone or anything)
Log 1: Occured when I pressed tab to target myself
Log 1

Log 2: Occurred immediatly after I logged into the game
Log 2

When I log in with a different character, it looks like it is working perfectly fine. It never crashed when I logged in, and I can target myself.

The error that the loginserver keeps throwing at me is: "[Error] Error parsing message from client: bad allocation"

Any ideas on we can login and stay connected consistently?
Old 07-06-2018, 04:55 PM
Uleat
Developer

I haven't seen that from the loginserver..but, it should be separate from world or zone server issues - even if it is related.

If you're able to get into the 'world' and play, there should be some logging occurring in the zone server.

Can you post a copy of your zone log showing client connects and disconnects?

You can/should redact any non-LAN or localhost ips, as well as any account-based infomation - other than the toon's name.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 07-06-2018, 05:45 PM
Eealer
Fire Beetle

Thanks for replying Uleat,

I found the zone logs and uploaded them below (I also have some World logs there, Account Names modified and Local IP Address changed); I don't see any account names or IP's in the zone files however.

Zone Logs

Is there anything else that you will need me to upload? I am also open to letting someone remote into the VM if it would make it easier to help troubleshoot;
Old 07-06-2018, 06:57 PM
Uleat
Developer

I can see where the world server is telling the zone server to spin-up..

..but, nothing about the actual client communicating with the zone server.

I have no experience with vms..but, someone with might chime in

Compilin' Dirty
Old 07-07-2018, 11:58 PM
Eealer
Fire Beetle

Thanks for looking at those logs anyway Uleat;

As far as I understand the VM shouldn't be much different from running on its own dedicated computer, other than that some drivers are made by the VM provider instead of by the manufacturer. Im not sure though;

Like I had said though, I wouldn't have any issue letting you into the VM to check things that you might need or want to check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
I can see where the world server is telling the zone server to spin-up..

..but, nothing about the actual client communicating with the zone server.

I have no experience with vms..but, someone with might chime in
Old 07-09-2018, 10:06 PM
Eealer
Fire Beetle

So, as an update to this;

I moved the server off the virtual machine and onto a physical machine and I am still having the same issue. I have also re-installed the EQ client twice but nothing is fixing the issue. What else could I try?

Also, my loginserver is still complaining about this "[Error] Error parsing message from client: bad allocation"; Is there anything anyone can suggest? Or assist me with or anything like that?
Old 07-11-2018, 01:49 PM
Eealer
Fire Beetle

Does anyone have some idea that could help with this?
Old 07-11-2018, 02:04 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

What clients are connecting?

Specifically, what versions are you using?

I remember seeing something like this in my setup a while back.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:21 PM
Eealer
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post
What clients are connecting?

Specifically, what versions are you using?

I remember seeing something like this in my setup a while back.

Hi Maze,

Both me and the friend are running the Secrets of Faydwer client, but we had had that issues with Titanium as well
Old 07-11-2018, 03:53 PM
Cusser
Sarnak

Delete the character UI files in your client.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:02 PM
Eealer
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the reply Cussar,

I have tried doing that, and also re-installed the client and it didn't make a difference for the character. It still wasn't able to login to the world. Is there more than one place where I would find the character UI files? I only deleted the ones from the root install folder for the client as well as all the character data that was stored in the userdata folder
Old 07-11-2018, 05:20 PM
Uleat
Developer

I have the SoF install discs myself.

Make sure that the eqhost.txt in your client directory is pointing to port 5998 (for SoF and older clients.)

Compilin' Dirty
Old 07-11-2018, 08:00 PM
Eealer
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
I have the SoF install discs myself.

Make sure that the eqhost.txt in your client directory is pointing to port 5998 (for SoF and older clients.)
Hi Uleat,

I have the discs as well for SOF and that's the client that we are actively using to play, but im not sure what the eqhost would have to do with this in this case; I can login with other characters into my server, its just one specific character right now on my account, one on my friends account and there had been the login server bad allocation error (That doesn't appear to be happening right now, since running the server on an updated version and on a physical pc).

I have made sure the port is pointing to the right place, but I still cant get that one toon in
Old 07-11-2018, 11:08 PM
Cusser
Sarnak

If you and your friend both, by coincidence, have only one toon that you can't login, then the problem is obviously in the
database, with those two characters. It could be a defective item in the character's inventory, or something happened to
create a bug in those particular toons. I had a toon once with a bad item and couldn't get it logged on worth crap, but I
just wiped the toon altogether in the database. Do those toons have items on them that are out of era for SoF ? (bags,etc)