Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 06-29-2005, 07:03 AM
Charmy
Discordant

Sorry to hear this about WR, sucks, Hope DT will be successful, i can't wait to see some actual media.

As for Khan's Work, Khan does amazing work. And as said halo 2 environments suck, they are restricted on a system that is over 3 years old.

In any event, Sorry Wiz hope DT works out.

and Khan CHECK YOUR PMs! or sign on aim or somthing.
Any Other Questions, please refer to the Following:
http://iliilllli1.netfirms.com
Old 06-29-2005, 07:05 AM
smogo
Discordant

Hmm, ... it seems there's a lot of emotion around here. The point is : one of the highest quality and most achieved server in EQEmu family is down. Because maybe it was getting too good and too popular.

This sounds like a threat to work given by all valuable pple around this place : aren't devs and sops trying to build good and popular servers ? What if SOE just decides to close it down when it becomes good and popular ?

I've pushed several times for a EQEmu client. Together with custom content, this is ihmo a good way to go for this community.

Prolly a dev or two will read about this thread, and are already thinking of the future. I humblalilly (?) wish they think and eventually talk about it.

Wiz's team have been clairvoyant about this (maybe not the Cease call, but at least the issues when not mastering the client). Maybe they want to share their work at some point, as they did with the merge a few months ago. I wish EQEMu goes for it's own client, and it might be a helpfull sign if some loud and sound voice (read : the names in dev's group) could support the idea.

I could see the nice work done on WR, some time ago. 200+ pple counter shows it had turned out really good. I really hope you get to a replacement client soon.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:31 AM
solid11
Discordant

Here it is plain and simple. Sony doesn't like to see over 300 players on a server based after them. That could be revenue for them, plus they're just dicks. With a custom game, Sony no longer cares because they know some independent developers with a home made game will no longer be a threat.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:43 AM
Woodlife Treestrider
Banned

WindCatcher: I am not positive on our project as well, only because what we want to do is rather extensive. I will give my best guess to what we plan on, but it will be up to Kate to decide the future of the project.

Own client: Hopefully. Given the staff and support, we will probably do the same thing as Dawntide in just creating a new client and seperating ourselves from EQ entirely.

As to defending Khan: I feel responsible for any misconceptions Kerosh and/or Khan are feeling about the whole thing. To clarify a second time, Khan's work is great, and I guess I used his work as an example of how good Percy is. In saying that Khan, basically the master at OpenZone in the EQEmu community, does not match the work of Percy for modeling says a lot. At least to some people. To others it may seem as a hit against Khan. It isn't. I respect Khan and his work very much. Please do not take it the wrong way. If it was possible, I would actually like to have Khan and Percy work together. Unfortunately, im sure Khan has his own work to be doing, and with the hits he probably feels he is taking in this thread, would not be to compelled to do so.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:50 AM
smogo
Discordant

hmm, Solid11, should we read 'home made software wouldn't reach 300+' ?

Does this mean EQEMu can't make a nice looking and playable software, or that EQEMu players just want to play EQ clone for free, regardless of different flavours the EQEMu servers can provide ?

Personal point of view : EQEMu is not EQ, technically, nor as per content. WR was a very custom server, and yet the most popular. This puts aside the second choice. As for the first (dev's capability), maybe give it a try, and result could be interesting.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:49 AM
Payens
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by smogo
Personal point of view : EQEMu is not EQ, technically, nor as per content. WR was a very custom server, and yet the most popular. This puts aside the second choice. As for the first (dev's capability), maybe give it a try, and result could be interesting.
As a former WR player with years of EQ Live experience I'll give my two cents. It's true that WR (or any customized EQEmu) and EQ Live are not the same thing. I liken it to taking identical twins and splitting them up so they were raised by different families. When they grow up they will have a lot in common, those basic characteristics that they inherited which give away the fact that they are related, and yet they will still be different people in many ways. The latter part is the result of the influence of the ones who nurtured & cared for them, shaping their personalities as they grew.

WR was highly customized but at the end of the day it felt very much like early EQ. For me, it was like a time warp into the Kunark Era. Despite the content being unique (except the zones were the same, just renamed & connected differently) it still felt just like EQ Live in so many ways when I played back in the early days. I think that's what made WR so successful, nostalgia is a powerful feeling and through the years SOE made many players unhappy by making changes (and EQ is a living game after all, it does change over time).
Old 07-02-2005, 03:35 AM
phasepuma
Sarnak

edit::

yeah I did

Last edited by phasepuma; 07-02-2005 at 12:42 PM..
Old 07-02-2005, 04:16 AM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

I think you have me mixed up with someone else. I haven't invested any time in WR at all...I've never even seen it. I'm a tool builder
Old 07-02-2005, 04:17 AM
mwmdragon
Discordant

Default release

Will the Winters Roar team be releaseing thire code and database to others my enjoy it even though they can't be the sole server for it ? This would be a huge help to the community, seeing how all the custom stuff was done.

AND it is about time we has a real Login released so others may have a private server for thier friends to play on.

Make this stuff available please, even if it is just a login server that can be publicly used,

NeverQuest
http://neverquest.gotdns.com
Emucade
http://dragonsden.emuunlim.com
Old 08-10-2005, 04:58 AM
Iceman12321
Fire Beetle

Looks like there's still hope...

Link

Awesome news if you ask me.

...Are there any other servers out that are like this that are up and running? A free server with more than just a couple people?
Old 08-20-2005, 02:02 PM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default fg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman12321
Looks like there's still hope...

Link

Awesome news if you ask me.

...Are there any other servers out that are like this that are up and running? A free server with more than just a couple people?

I think your in luck.;.

www.cheaterz.info