Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:49 PM
amphibian74
Fire Beetle

Default Memory error when trying to initiate game

I have completed all of the directions for playing Everquest titanium online. When I click on the new shortcut icon, I receive this error message:

"The instruction at 0x1000f0ce referenced memory at 0xfffffffc. The memory could not be read.

Does anyone have any clue why or what I can do to play?
Old 10-20-2011, 02:48 AM
trevius
Developer

Check the FAQ in my sig. Most likely, you are running into a resolution issue, but you may also be missing DX9. Also, if you have a very small amount of RAM available, that can cause it too.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:54 PM
amphibian74
Fire Beetle

I have a brand new laptop, just days old. I5 chip with 8 GB RAM so memeory isn't a problem. I attempted to adjust the resolution issue prior to the first post with negative results. I'm hesitant to disable certain features as recommended. After reading all of the other problems, I'm wondering if it is just too complicated to continue trying to play it. Can anyone recommend any other games similar to this, EQ2, WOW? I'm not into the space age stuff. THanks.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:30 AM
jdklaw
Fire Beetle

Im getting the same error on my laptop. The game used to run and I would get the error occasionally, but now it does not run at all. I'd say I havn't played for the last two patches or so. Game works fine on my desktop, I even tried copying the folder over and still no fix:

"The instruction at 0x02d0f0ce referenced memory at 0xfffffffc. The memory could not be read."
Old 10-27-2011, 12:31 AM
jdklaw
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
Check the FAQ in my sig. Most likely, you are running into a resolution issue, but you may also be missing DX9. Also, if you have a very small amount of RAM available, that can cause it too.
I am checking out your sig FAQs atm
Old 10-27-2011, 03:56 PM
jdklaw
Fire Beetle

So I tried messing with the resolutions both in the .ini file and via the option app in Everquest folder. Also tried running in recommended capadability mode (Win 7) and I was able to get into EQ with one of the lower res settings and adjusted in game to the optimal setting. When I attempted to relog and save the settings the game went back to error upon launch.

Any recommendations? Again, I was able to play the game with no problems until about a week ago when I updated after having not ran it for awhile on my laptop and now I can't launch at all. I was getting these errors from day 1 occasionally but never to the point where I could not launch at all.

Desktop plays the game fine and I even tried Replacing my laptop file with my desktop file but problem persist.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:49 PM
gibroni
Hill Giant

if your using vista or windows 7, try running it with administrator.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:26 PM
jdklaw
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibroni View Post
if your using vista or windows 7, try running it with administrator.
no difference
Old 10-27-2011, 09:24 PM
gibroni
Hill Giant

i have had that error and it was either of these two things, in game resolution needed to be adjusted and needed to run administrator. after that worked fine. other then that im not sure what else may cause that issue. you can change in game resolution by editing eqclient.ini in the everquest folder. lower it down to 800 x 640 and see if works, then once in the game can change it to whatever your screen will do.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:09 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdklaw View Post
I was able to play the game with no problems until about a week ago when I updated
What exactly did you update? If it broke after an update, then the update is probably to blame. If you are using custom files from a particular server, maybe those files are causing your issue. You can always try uninstalling EQ, deleting your EQ folder and installing it again, or just install it fresh to a completely NEW folder and see if that works.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:10 PM
jdklaw
Fire Beetle

I deleted the game folder and reinstalled, but still get the same memory crash.

I am able to launch in compatibility mode, 256 colors, and low res all the way up to server selection. After trying to join a server, I get the music and then crash again.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:53 AM
liquest
"Special" Member

If you are still experiencing it after a freshinstall i must me a Dx9 issue. Also if its a resolution issue try running game under the WinEQ program to pop it up in windowed mode and customize the game from Ingame options not the options at the main screen. That tends to cause issues. if you are able to login to a character in WinEQ Alt-O to options and change resolution and such there. and if it is a memory issue try program Gamebooster 3.0 it will speed things up. Though i was able to run game under a half gig of ram with luclin models on a laptop i got in 1999. Hope any of that helps.

Liquest Auctions, WTB AA's up to the current compatable clients PST with offer.

"A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." ~Fredrick Nietzsche

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.." ~Albert Einstein
Old 11-24-2011, 01:10 PM
jdklaw
Fire Beetle

Default Working now!

Ok...

So, I never gave UP!

I ended up deleting the game completely, including all of the regedit info on Everquest. I then followed the resolution instructions located in the EQEmuFAQ:
When I try to open EQ, the window blinks black and then closes and I get an error, but EQ never even starts.
Most likely you are having a resolution or drivers issue. Try adjusting your EQ or Desktop Resolutions or updating your video drivers. It may just be that EQ is trying to start in a resolution that it does not support. If setting your desktop to 1024X768 does not work, then you may need to set it in your eqclient.ini. There should be a file named OptionsEditor.exe in your Everquest folder. Open that program and set your resolution to 1024X768 and see if that helps. If not, run it again and try other resolutions. Once you have it working, you should be able to adjust your resolution from in game and then /camp out to save the new settings.
After this, the game works fine. I believe the problem I was having was that my laptop's recommended setting is 1366x768 and the game only supports 1360x768. This was my resolution error. I had also changed the res settings in the eqclient.ini file and this stopped the game from loading windowed and it would just load into full screen with the unsupported resolution and crash.

Just in time for Thanksgiving, thanks for all of the help!

jdklaw
Old 12-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Zaide
Fire Beetle

I am having literally the exact same issues described by Jdklaw. Using the method described in his final post I was able to run eqemu once. Upon logging out however, I am unable to get past the original error message once again.

I have tried changing the resolution to all available options, both on my desktop, in the ini file and in options editor. My drivers are all up to date and I am running it as an administrator. I get this same problem with both UF and SoD clients.

-Edit-

I was able to log in again only after completely deleting everything in my eqclient.ini file and redoing the resolution changes outlined in the post above. While this technically allows me to play, it is rather inconvenient and of course forces me to redo my key bindings etc all over again every time I log in. If anyone has any idea what the problem is here I would love any information that could help.

Last edited by Zaide; 12-07-2011 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Additional Information
Old 12-07-2011, 07:05 AM
pepsiphreak79
Sarnak

Things ive done to get games working past gfx errors...
Right click eqgame.exe shoose run as admin box so it always runs as admin
Turn off advanced text service
Disable visual themes
The compatibility mode helps some ive never had to use it

Other things that are a little fuzzier
alot of video cards old and new good or bad have there own app installed with drivers they all have alot of random custom settings mines limited
but it allows me to change options like triple buffer recommend on for alot of games
it may have an option to force certain resolutions mine only has panel fit that can at times interfere
options like use desktop colordepth and use desktop resolution make sure they are off.
best to let the games handle them if there touchy

again all the vid drivers and there custom apps are different i hope this helps you

I hear eq and Direct X 10 fight