Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:53 PM
kris1
Sarnak

Default Changing your servers database...HELP!!

I've got Heidi connected to the DB...I've made changes tirelessly...How in god's name do I get that into my server???!!!
Old 07-10-2018, 11:09 PM
Uleat
Developer

Some changes take effect immediately, some can be used by using #hotfix..

..the rest require a server reboot.

When making changes in your database through heidisql, make sure that you 'commit' the changes to any row you're editing by
clicking off of that row.

Any entries with a red triangle in the lower left corner will not be saved if you exit immediately.

As far as the 'pre-loaded' shared memory binary files, those should be created every time you start your server - if you're using the provided bat files.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 07-10-2018, 11:34 PM
kris1
Sarnak

none of that makes any sense to me. I'm making the changes in HeidiSQL...then I'm clicking on "tools", then "Export database as SQL"...I make sure I have both "create" boxes checked, and select my servers root directory, I name the file, and I click extract. Then I run "t_stop_server.bat", then I run "t_start_server_with_login_server.bat"

Am I missing a step?
Old 07-11-2018, 12:43 AM
Nightrider84
Discordant

Yeah, your doing an extra step for no reason.

You don't need to export database as SQL if your making the changes in heidisql.

Like Uleat was saying you just make the change to the row you want then click somewhere else and it saves the change.

And when I say click somewhere else, just select a different row or something and the previous row that you changed will save the change.

No exporting database or anything its all done right there.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:40 AM
Cusser
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris1 View Post
none of that makes any sense to me.
I am not trying to sound discouraging, but there is lot of information and knowledge that needs to be gained
for customizing one of these "out of the box" servers. The basic install allows someone to easily have a vanilla
server up and running, enabling them to start playing on it, but it's definately not like a game you can simply
insert a disc into a console and start playing. For anyone with a desire to tailor their own needs should, atleast
have somewhat of a good understanding of working with computer files, folders and types of file formats, as well
as what they do, or how they function. If you're planning on any extensive customizing, learning how the server
works is a good start, before editing files or altering tables in the database.

The knowledge and information that is needed for much of the advanced work, can take hours and hours of reading.
It takes a lot patience to sit there, day after day, reading, searching, wash, rinse, repeat and some become
frustrated when they realize they didn't know what they were getting themselves into. There is literally 100's
(or more) questions that need answers, but unfortunately, it may not be feasible to ask them one by one on
these forums. It's difficult. I get it, we've all been there. There was a time when the most common answer to
anyone's question was, "Search the forums!". Sometimes those answers included rude remarks, but in general,
many people who try to help lose patience, because they already know that many of the questions have been
answered over and over again, but they truly expect the "curious" to put a lot more effort into searching and
reading. They don't mean just a simple 2-3 hours, because the online literature available can take days and
days of reading, depending on how much daily time you have to spend on it.

Many people who have been through all this learning do not necessarily have all that info burned into their brain,
so they wouldn't be able to answer a question off the top of their head and they would have to do the ultimate.
They would have to do the searching and reading for the person, just to help them, but not too many people are
willing to be quite that supportive. There will be a few, but for others to make the time out of their schedule
is not common. They much prefer to give someone a shovel and let you do your own digging, unless you run into a
boulder, they will gladly help you work around it.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:38 AM
kris1
Sarnak

I appreciate all of your help. I get that it will be a lot of work. I'm certainly not looking for an easy or quick solution to anything. Or a solution at all really...I just want something to do, and will enjoy tweaking and playing with this. So, I really am in the right mindset for it.

And though it's a considerably simpler version, I used to own a restaurant, and this DB does not seem dissimilar to setting up a point of sale cash register.

What I was/am struggling with is the HeidiSQL. And it's just growing pains. And it's frustrating, because the guides on here are very heavy in information relating to the server DB and very light in how some of the software actually works. I think that guide on how to install the server could use a tab on that list that explains ever so briefly how HeidiSQL works...I didn't even get to the point where trial and error to figure out the DB was possible, because I wasn't sure whether or not the things i was doing in HeidiSQL were actually impacting my server. A single sentence in one of the guides would have saved me almost an entire day of just trying to figure that out.

Again, not blaming anyone...it's super sweet that this is even a thing, and everyone involved deserves nothing but praise for it. And after all my pissing and moaning, after meeting one seemingly insurmountable wall after another, I am no longer stuck on getting the server installed...and I'm no longer stuck on getting the LAN login working...and I'm no longer stuck on trying to get HeidiSQL to connect to my server...and I'm no longer stuck on trying to gt the changes made in HeidiSQL active on my server. I've moved on to my newest seemingly insurmountable wall, getting my server locked, and giving my and my friend's accounts the proper status to be able to log into the locked server.

Anyways, I'm not afraid of spending hours and hours reading about this. That's actually exactly what I am looking for, a new hobby and time sink. What I am afraid of is wasting hours and hours trying to find that which I should spend hours and hours reading, when someone might be able to point me to these resources expediently.

I personally do not feel like i was handed a shovel. i feel like i was handed a billet of steel and a log, and told about the possible existence of a wood lathe that could help me make that log into a handle, and that there are furnaces that are capable of heating the steel enough for you to make a spade head out of it.

I don't want someone to do any digging for me, I just want some advice as to how to get the oven hot enough for me to make the shovel head, and where do I plug in the lathe? Oh...and does anyone know where I can find an anvil?

I totally get where you are coming from, and every day I am still shocked, after years of playing on THF, and P99, as to exactly how many volunteered man hours have gone into this. And every time I come to the forums for something I surprised by exactly how much time people are willing to dedicate to helping each other.

So, thanks again for all of your help.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:06 PM
Cusser
Sarnak

To set your server in locked mode, go into your main server folder and open up the eqemu_config.json file with a text editor.
Right above the loginserver line, should be a "locked" line like the one below. If that is set to "true" when your server starts,
it will be locked on launch. Or more simple, when you are logged into the game with a GM toon, just type #lock. That will lock
your server until you restart it next time. Or type #unlock to let your friends in, then #lock it again.

Code:
"locked" : "false",
               "loginserver" : {
                    "account" : "",
                    "host" : "login.eqemulator.net",
                    "legacy" : "1",
                    "password" : "",
                    "port" : "5998"