Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:15 AM
MarcusD
Banned

Default Open source Unity Everquest spiritual successor game Nature's Key

Hey everyone. So thankful for this community and how it has enabled me to run a local EQ server. I have realized everquest is the first and last game in the line of Survival-MMORPG's and I want to bring it back. I have started working on an open source everquest spiritual successor unity game. The plan is to get something small done that works then go from there. Currently I have a zone made which is kinda a throw back to Ro. I have a placeholder character that can run around the zone in first person (only). I have a harsh (gets dark as hell) 1 hr day night cycle. I have a very basic AI where a skeleton can aggro and follow you around and swing if he gets close enough. I have very basic networking for multiplayer (hoepfully). I encourage you to try it out and if you like it pick up the unity 5.4 save file so you can mess around with it and take it forward. I hope to start a push for indie survival-mmo's; the genre that EQ started and no one kept alive. If I can do it with no experience coding, anyone can, I basically followed Holistic3D's and other youtube unity tutorials to get this far. I've been working on it for a couple weeks for a couple dozen hours so far.

Here is the game so far. Simply download the file, unzip it and send both the file and folder to desktop or wherever and double click the icon to run it. The folder needs to be in the same directory as the exe. It doesn't need to be installed. Once the game loads up there will be a white screen and click the top button to host your own server locally and play.

pick the newest build (currently 1.6f)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fz18txcg2...7M1ggGUNa?dl=0

If you like it and want to work on it/fork it in unity:

Simply download unity 5.4 (will probably work with subsequent unity builds too) and when you boot it up open the following folder as the save file.

Unity 5.4 save file (unzip once you download it):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/p5..._1.6f_save.zip

If you have any questions (lots of the game scripts are located in the asset daynightscripts folder currently btw) post them here and I will try to respond in a reasonable time frame.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:25 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Old 09-04-2016, 03:28 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Old 09-04-2016, 03:29 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Old 09-05-2016, 11:22 AM
jpyou127
Discordant

Wow! Cool stuff!

Celestial
Old 09-05-2016, 12:53 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpyou127 View Post
Wow! Cool stuff!

Celestial
I appreciate it! But it is so easy to do it is almost embarrassing. Unity 5 is totally free and there are so many free assets on the asset store that it is mostly a drag and drop experience. I want to encourage people to get unity and play around, its basically as much fun to me to make a game as playing one. My current to do list is to add damage and a UI.

If anyone has questions about unity in their own game or this game I can help.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:58 PM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

This is pretty cool! When I get a bit more spare time, I will have to check this out!
Old 09-06-2016, 04:39 AM
MarcusD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyotte View Post
This is pretty cool! When I get a bit more spare time, I will have to check this out!
Awesome. Also I want to say that I don't think staying alive by charging money is wrong so I am releasing anything I do free and clear, you can sell and/or close source any derivative works without attribution. Better than BSD license lol.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:56 AM
HalinaEgerton
Fire Beetle

Very beautiful
Old 02-09-2019, 06:13 PM
daleafiest
Fire Beetle

looks smooth...are the gfx assests?