Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:53 AM
Grundy
Sarnak

Default Swamp Wars

would anyone be interested in a small (3 zone) legit team base pvp server between the frogloks of guk and the trolls of grobb? guk would be changed to be the froglok starting city with their merchants and trainers and everything in there and trolls and frogloks would both use innothule swamp for their newbie grounds and fighting arena. new characters spawn at level 5 with all skills capped for level 5 (ie: warrior's 1h slashing would be at 30, wizard's peircing would be 1. oh yea, and the frogloks would be restricted to their old races, no shadow knights or necromancers.

some ideas not set in stone but being considered:
1. purpose for player killing
1a. the only way to make money is to kill enemies, when a player kills a player you can loot its head and turn it in for money in the city to purchase weapons/spells/armor/food/drink/bandages/potions/whatever. if we did this then potions and the bind wound skill would be buffed.
1b. collecting the heads of your enemies can be turned in by 4's to get a +1 stat bonus

2. mobs are stronger the farther away from guk and grobb you get, various named NPCs will have a chance to spawn in certain locations that can drop weapons, armor, spells, potions, bandages, food, drink, basically anything you could buy in the cities the named mobs have a chance to drop but they would be unsellable.

3. new recpies - fine steel weapons that occasionally drop from named mobs could be combined with potions, spell recipies, and other igredients to add proc effects to weapons. the idea is to make a ton of recipes and new items that proc any enemy targetted spell. flash of light, fear, darkness, snare, root, flame lick, burst of flame, disease cloud - you know, whatever. higher level spells will require more expensive ingredients.

4. similar to the weapon proc effects, maybe ranged item recipies that have beneficial targeted spells, like clarity, spirit armor, light healing, dexterous aura, rapicous subversion, etc...

5. "GM Event" wars between frogloks and trolls. the events would be announced in advance to get the most involvment and the goal would be to break into the other race's city and slaughter their NPCs. the race that wins will get small benefit like maybe a faction increase with their city for cheaper prices on items, or earn extra gold for killing NPCs or unlock a new class for their race to play as - everyone who participated would get to vote for their race's new class and the class with the most votes wins.

6. Adding an extra zone to server, the Feerrott.
6a. Ogres could be a playable race that spawn in the feerrott near innothule instead of ogguk. 3 way swamp wars instead of 2.
6b. Ogres are a non-playable NPC race that occasionally wonder through the swamp and the troll and froglok factions with ogres change depending on who wins the last Swamp War, the winning team gains access to the Feerrott temporarily to purchase ogre weapons/armors/spells/foods/drinks/potions/crafting ingredients/whatever

7. Adding an extra zone to server, The Southern Desert of Ro.
7a. similar idea to number 6 except with humans. It could turn into a 4 way Swamp War or humans could be NPC controlled race that help the winner of the Swamp War, either Ogres & Humans would be playable or one of them would be playable. Humans and Ogres would not both be NPC controlled
7b. Ogres ally with Trolls, Humans ally with Frogloks either with humans and ogres both playable or both non playable, winning the Swamp Wars increase faction with your ally, losing decreases faction - faction cannot be lowered to KOS from continually losing.

Last edited by Grundy; 06-23-2006 at 06:09 PM..
Old 06-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Elysius
Sarnak

Sounds like a neat idea, but personally, I would keep Guk as a dungeon. Something to fight for control of.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Rithien
Fire Beetle

Sounds pretty cool to me
Old 06-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Deserx01
Sarnak

Sounds like a really good idea, personally i wouldn't use collecting heads as the only way to collect money because people would get fed up with better more well geared players beating them up over and over... money should come from npc's, the heads could be turned in for better gear. One thing you might want to consider is using some newer zones, the zones you are using are great...they have just been over used in emu and i would really like to see some newer zones (luclin+) used for a server. If ya get it up and running im sure you will get the attention of alot of old guild wars players, including myself. Im sure you would have a large player base with such a simple server. Good Luck with everything!

-Gambit
Old 06-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Grundy
Sarnak

yea you're probably right about the heads for money thing. i didnt think about that. i thought about winning a swamp war and gaining access to a non-playable race's superior merchendice so to stop it from becoming completely imbalanced they only have a limited time to be in their zone before being kicked out. and their items would be more expensive so if one race saved up their money before the swamp war they would have weaker gear than the race that has spent their money and have a greater chance of losing. then when they gain access to more expensive items they wouldnt be able to afford what they wanted and its for a limited time so they wouldnt be able to farm up enough loot before they get kicked out. but if the team that fought without buying gear wins then they have money saved up to buy the expensive gear for a limited time.

i was thinking another idea could be like eq2 workshop tasks, fill out crafting orders for NPCs to get paid, or collecting ground spawn items in the swamp for NPCs

Last edited by Grundy; 06-23-2006 at 07:16 PM..
Old 06-23-2006, 12:28 PM
Deserx01
Sarnak

I would say your best bet is to keep the server simple, most servers that get complicated quickly die out. If your server is going to be successful you need a set of rules that will never be changed (ie. level cap, number of zones, objectives) Just to throw out some suggestions I would try to have the server based around killing the opposing faction, taking heads and turing them in for gear. Each sides city could be raidable so both factions could battle over the cities; npc guards would drop loot and money. You could also have the gm war events at a specified time and place. The server would be simple but fun and addictive. I would recommend a level cap at 50 and to make experience very fast so that people can focus on pvp and getting gear.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Grundy
Sarnak

anyone know if theres a way to gain experience from killing players? if there is i'll probably do that
Old 06-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Rithien
Fire Beetle

To be honest I'd love to see this server
Old 06-24-2006, 07:23 AM
Funno
Fire Beetle

i would play for sure
Old 06-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Grundy
Sarnak

which of the other ideas for this server do you guys like/not like
Old 06-24-2006, 01:02 PM
mattmeck

how are you going to handle 30 people playing one side and 2 playing the other?
Old 06-24-2006, 01:06 PM
Grundy
Sarnak

no offense but if people do that they're kinda stupid there would be no point in even playing on this server if one side had such a huge advantage like that because for 1 thing the people on the 2 side would get sick of it and probably leave or the people on the 30 side would get bored of not being able to find anything to do. if that does happen though, then i might introduce another race to try to spread it out or add more class options to the side thats completely out numbered
Old 06-24-2006, 01:30 PM
mattmeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grundy
no offense but if people do that they're kinda stupid there would be no point in even playing on this server
no offence taken, I just saw this happen in a few similar themed servers that tried to make it.

People WILL join the team with more people that way they have the advantage.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:34 PM
Rithien
Fire Beetle

I would join the outnumbered side

More enemies = more potential kills
Old 06-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Grundy
Sarnak

if that does happen i would make incentives for people to switch sides and if they didnt i would maybe make a 3rd race that is allied with the outnumbered race to make it 2v1 and the if the 2 races began to out number the one race then their alliance would be severed and it would become 1v1v1 but any kind of change like that wouldnt happen over night. you wouldnt just login one day and find out hey they're my enemy all of a sudden with no explaination. there would be in-game events that make or break alliances