Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Doomfire
Fire Beetle

Default Guildwars Server Down - Discuss

Here are the last screenshots of Guildwars being up.

After these screenshots were posted on the Guildwars forums the forums were all locked.

Discuss.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Doomfire
Fire Beetle

Old 04-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Doomfire
Fire Beetle

Old 04-02-2005, 02:14 AM
Deserx01
Sarnak

I just wanna say its fucking bullshit that you guys closed down the server, many people donated hard erned money to the server. You cant just close it b/c a coupple faggots were being disrespectful. Devnoob, I kno there were alot of people saying shit, but come on its an online game, this isnt real life and besiede a coupple retards, alot of people really respected the work you and image put into the server. If anything, bring GW back for the donators, the people who supported the server, and filter out the jackasses that didnt appreciate it.

-Gambit
Old 04-02-2005, 03:05 AM
Wiz
Dragon

GW down to staff drama?

Who'd have thought.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:11 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

People have donated some hard earned money to keep the server up, and according to the donation schedule they were paid THRU the end of May.

If you must close the server, especially on a petty issue like this, I think it's only appropriate that all persons who sent a donation for April or May get refunded.
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:25 AM
Wiz
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDown
People have donated some hard earned money to keep the server up, and according to the donation schedule they were paid THRU the end of May.

If you must close the server, especially on a petty issue like this, I think it's only appropriate that all persons who sent a donation for April or May get refunded.
Clearly they were disrespectful bitches who deserve nothing back.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:32 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz
GW down to staff drama?

Who'd have thought.
My thoughts exactly.

On a side note, let me just say now that if this thread gets too roudy it will be locked.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:58 AM
jammey97
Fire Beetle

Here's a link to my irc log. I was afk for the whole thing so I didn't know about this crap until this morning.

http://techrono.net/other/guildwars.txt

jam^

--------
Old 04-02-2005, 04:51 AM
killspree
Dragon

Disappointing to hear - I was really interested in how guildwars would shape up this time around, because it's a really good concept for a pvp server using eq mechanics.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:04 AM
Melwin
Fire Beetle

Quote:

Quote:
I think it's only appropriate that all persons who sent a donation for April or May get refunded.
Quote:
refunded.
ahahahahahahaha
Old 04-02-2005, 05:19 AM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default refund

asking for a refund is silly...
I think the term donate...means just that....

---------------
I want a refund from that bum I gave a dollar to... he didnt use it for food.
----------------

www.cheaterz.info
Old 04-02-2005, 05:26 AM
Wiz
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdabbs65
asking for a refund is silly...
I think the term donate...means just that....

---------------
I want a refund from that bum I gave a dollar to... he didnt use it for food.
----------------
If you donate to the Red Cross, would you be a-OK with them spending the money on booze?
Old 04-02-2005, 06:29 AM
Ellie
Sarnak

Guild Wars was a perfect example of people who have great ideas, good programming skills and not enough PR savvy. It would have been a great server if those guys (Image/Dev) were the main design team but someone else actually ran the server.

Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of idiotic low-lifes that had absolutely no appreciation for the hard work that was put into creating and running the server- and that has got to be frustrating. But frankly, Image, but moreover Dev honestly, had some serious powertrip/ego issues and little to no patience.

Again, I respect the hard work and diligence that went into the server, but because of wide variety of ages and, uh, "mental capacities", of some of the player base, it takes a very mature, "non-ego-based" personality to keep the server up and running smoothly. Clearly, this wasn't the case here, as evidenced by the numerous times the server has been up and down and up and down again.

Great ideas, not enough management skill- but hey, not everyone is cut out for dealing with the fickle and often rancorous public. God knows, it's not an easy job.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:52 AM
Piranor
Fire Beetle

Default About "donations"

"I think the term donate...means just that...."

You were right if this was actually a donation situation.
A donation to the law is the of giving to a fund or a cause; it's a gift, a grant. If you stick to that it does sound right for GW case.
However take a look at the definition of a contract and let's see the differences.
It is set of promises made by one party to another for the breach of which the law provides a remedy. The promise or promises may be express (either written or oral) or may be implied from circumstances.

In the case of GW, they were taking so-called "donations" and promising to keep the server up for "X" amount of time with it. But the main problem is that donators were actually getting advantages and services from it such as guildwars "donator" items. It was more like "We are taking donations for the month of may and for every X$ you get you will receive this".

Hence according to that mere fact, it is a contract and they have to either respect their engagement or refund the buyers. That's right they were buyers not donators because they did receive their share in the trade.

GW can't hide behind the laws there saying it was a "donation". Any company would offer you services for money down and call it a donation when they feel like dropping you. You can't call it a donation if there's an actual exchange/trade proper to this very donation. It's a contract *period*

Thank you

p.s. I did not donate I just wanted to set things straight and I don't really mind if they closed the server.
Closed Thread