Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 07-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Pattos
Fire Beetle

Default what class should i play?

the way i get it, in the EQemule servers there are alot less players then in the EQlive, obviously, so i just can't decide which class to play as my main?

do i need to play a soloing class assuming that i'll be left alone prolly and won't be able to get groups due to the low number of players?
my best soloing class is a mage, i suck with necros lol...

seconds option is, playing a class which is group-only, assuming i'll be able to get groups. my best un-twinked class play is a chanter, but i'm afraid that i won't be able to get groups with one, and we all know chanters can't solo... anything.

so i'm asking the more experienced ones that actually played EQemule,
is it tough to find groups out-there?
Old 07-07-2005, 04:28 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Depends on the server, really.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:42 AM
Sarepean
Discordant

In my experience, I never really had trouble finding groups, but it could be really tough for all I know. I'd say assume that you won't be able to find one.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Dr Zauis
I know how to fix that!

I have only played on PEQ for a couple months so far..I can say it wouldnt be hard to find a group there. Although there is no Bazaar finding weapons and armor isnt difficult.
I play a Bard on live and I am still soloing at lvl 50 and expect to solo till 60 so I would say a Bard is a good solo class but dont reccomend it at this time
(At least not on PEQ)as song twisting is not working correctly.

So I would start a warrior first. If you have trouble finding a group you can always 2 box and play both or just play a cleric for awhile so that you can have him waiting for you to heal and buff. Remember tha you can always #zone to get back to a safe area like Halas. Cleric can heal and you can go back to where you were fighting and finish off the mob.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Ademonde
Hill Giant

depends on the server really.... semi-legit servers you could solo forever. At least that was back in the day

AKA - Dread
Old 07-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Pattos
Fire Beetle

Default warr and cleric?

warrior and clerics are known as good pp absorbers....
because a warrior needs good gear to be good and so is a cleric.

and i'm not the boxing kind of guy :/

but a caster, well a nec,mage,or chanter,druid or shammy are good even at low gear because all they need to do is to know what spells to cast at what times.

in EQlive i had a ranger as a main, up to level 52.
NOT a good choice... rangers suck without good gear so i spent alot of time making pp instead of leveling, while watching my guildie druids, and mages leveling like MAD with leather armor and summoned items lol...

so what's the biggest server where getting groups is easiest?
i also want one closest to EQlive's structure, and most expensions
(i have EQplatinum)
Old 07-08-2005, 05:08 AM
wooow
Fire Beetle

bard will be the best soloing class. My main was a 65 bard on live, soloed all the way up. It feels fantansitic swarming 10+ mobs each run. Killing a deep blue mob will only take 20 seconds, and even without FT item I can still keep swarming for at least 1 hour, go AFK 1 hr, then repeat. Sadly for such a solo toon I only magaged to get crappy gears, I never got hold of any FT item.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:36 AM
Pattos
Fire Beetle

Default 20 sec?

i'm not really the bard guy... i find them um... too hybrid for me... the only hybrid i can actually like playing and being is a Ranger due to the tracking and cool spells and cool look (wolf form!!! hawoooo!!!)
and how did you drop a mob in 20 sec? lol never heard of that... i thought that bard DOT are poor compared for like nec,druid DOTs.

what's the most populated server now?
Old 07-09-2005, 03:04 AM
wooow
Fire Beetle

most people find it impressed when I swarm 10+ mobs simultaneously (BTW I hit level 65 two years ago, and quit live since then). You can charm one mob, let it attack the other 9, rest assured it will be at 10% hp in 5 seconds, then break charm by invis, and use chants of flame etc. to DOT and kill that mob, won't take more than 10 seconds. At level 65 I normally solo in plane of desease, but I can only grab 5 mobs or so, alittel slower due to safety concerns, still good exp. level 50 -60, Maiden's eye is best choice.

Edit: ranger is cool. EXP slows down at level 50, when dawnshroud peak no longer gives decent exp. I was only able to solo my ranger up to 55 or so. Unfortuanetely compared to grouping it is boring because I spent level 30-55 all in the same zone.

Last edited by wooow; 07-09-2005 at 11:15 AM..
Old 07-09-2005, 03:46 AM
Pattos
Fire Beetle

Default ...

getting the bard to the level 50 takes lots of time...
and i don't get how you soloed with a ranger... (i had one at level 52 on live)
cause fear-kiting is really, really, really time consumable and boring...
and hybrids need great gear to be able to fight, let alone solo well.
a poorly equipped ranger is the most pathetic life form on earth.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:20 AM
wooow
Fire Beetle

Dawnshroud peak is the only place I know suitable for rangers soloing, safely from level 30-50. Zelniaks/wolves should last till level 45+, and rockhoppers from 45 to 55, just stay at the entrance of hopper cave and root the first add, zone if get a second add. At level 50 I can handle 3 rockhoppers with root for group control. And yes, it took me more than one year to hit level 50 with the ranger solo (30+ hours per week), and it got really boring. But, keep in mind hopper hides are worth a fortune on live, I can farm a few kpp worth hopper hides each day's playing (5-8 hours/evening, flawless/superb hides are 100pp+, with other lower levels hides priced accordingly lower). That's the reason I stayed till level 55 untill there is no longer any exp available.

Again, bard is the most fun and versatile class, everyone give it a trial if you like to stay busy (involved) all the time. Swarm kiting can start from level 27, with 3 or 4 mobs each time. Level 0-27 shouldn't be any problem to anyone, just act as a warrior lol. Level 0-65 won't take more than half a year without twinking (30 hrs/week), invest on a good drum if possible, armor is useless for soloing at high levels.

Last edited by wooow; 07-09-2005 at 07:26 PM..
Old 07-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Dr Zauis
I know how to fix that!

Im soloing like mad right now in Maidens Eye at lvl 50 with my Bard on live.
I found that cool llittle area right next to Dawnshroud zoneline. I just chant
and run..I dont dare to take on more than 2 at a time right now! Besides I use a Trueborn Drum and it dont take that long to kill a blue. I prefer to kite the whites/yellows and low reds though. I dont know if it gives me any more faster XP that way but it sure feels good. LOL..
I wouldnt say I have very good armor..In fact I dont wear my best as Im interested more in the regen properties.
I played my Bard as a warrior type till my mid 40s. But now I will be grouping soon so its back to the books to figure out the best songs and melodys.
I know the high level groups are gonna expect me to know something. Of wich I dont. I picked a Bard cause I played D&D as a kid in the late 70s and it seems EQ is based on that somewhat.
If the Bard class actually worked right on PEQ I would say go for it.
I expect to solo till 60 in Maidens. But I have Family that groups with the big guys so I know I will have to work on that part.
If I were running a server I would give everyone a Fungi from the start. Those classes that cant have it would get something as good as a fungi.
One wouldnt have to worry much about grouping with a fungi equiped.
Compared to live as it is now at least for PEQ regen is alot faster and damage and XP is much higher.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:59 AM
wooow
Fire Beetle

Go bard go! I was trying to tell everyone to start a bard when I was still playing on live two years ago.

BTW, don't hesitate to take on more than 2 blues (stay away from casters, root=instant death). Actually, I do die frequently that way, especially at only level 50 with tons of resists, but death also means instant recover to full mana, and a full mana bar can easily turn to two yellows exp. I would spend all the mana before I went to dawnshroud peak asking for a 50% or higher rezz, which is always available and they are normally happy when I gaive them a Centi short sword as reqard (hmmm, two years ago though). Most of the Cent SS rots, but I always keep one in my backpack as rezz gift.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Aydun
Sarnak

Default Just a thought

I played a Trollio SK on live (and a human necro (from day1)). I can tell you they're a pretty fast acting class. You have the benefits of spells and you have good damage output. The other thing is unlike the ranger almost all of their spells harm and enemy to make you better, it's complete profit. Especially with the some of the newer spells that cam eout w/ luclin, i think they were shouts or something (it's been a w hile), I had little down time and could solo about 3-4 dark blues before having to sit, and that was o nly because of mana. I never level'd in luclin, I spent my days in the field of bone/ swamp of no hope (AWESOME for low teens, and no one EVER goes in there) / warsliks (monkies that spawn in the caves are low hp , high xp :P ). and I did not have phenomenal gear, i'm a true blue rp'r, and I can tell you .. i had a cleaver of grobb, and some hand made leathers until my mid 20's .. so if I can do it with that you can certainly do it... it's all what you make of it, I have played a solo ench before, way way back when, it was impractical but you can do n e thing if you want !! also .. you get FD later on w/ SK (pretty early) it is effective and just another perk.. I recommend the SK, race is up to you , but i have a soft spot for the luvable trollio's

PS (if you pick the troll DEAR GOD ! turn off the luclin graphics, trolls were meant to be big and goofy, not this hunchbach BS w/ a pot belly!)
Old 07-19-2005, 01:18 AM
Aonelyn
Hill Giant

well it depends on the server, i recomend high elf mages though