Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

View Poll Results: What server is desired?
Legit-Custom 67 41.88%
Legit-EQLive 26 16.25%
PVP 5 3.13%
PVP-Team (i.e. teams by continents/expansions) 16 10.00%
PVP-Guilds 4 2.50%
Semi-Legit (#si, #zone) 16 10.00%
Non-Legit (almost all commands) 24 15.00%
Other (please post) 2 1.25%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Liscadipesce
Hill Giant

Default What kind of server are YOU looking for?

This is a poll to get an understanding of what servers are needed on the most. The top voted will most likely be made, but no promises. Pleae don't vote for an option where their is already a steady server that runs that server type, but rather for a server that you would like to play on, that doesn't exist.

Not only will this be helpful to myself, but to others who may be setting up a server.

(Liscadipesce) then how do you expect to run a bot?
(Liscadipesce) It has to be run off of your computer...
(Tajk) ftp? =D
Old 01-07-2005, 10:56 AM
KhaN
Dragon

For, superservers is needed, Totally custom (New Class, New Spells, New Zones, New Musics, ...) nothing from SoE, all new contents.

Old 01-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Liscadipesce
Hill Giant

Those looking at KhaN's post and might think about choosing that option, I won't be going that far

(Liscadipesce) then how do you expect to run a bot?
(Liscadipesce) It has to be run off of your computer...
(Tajk) ftp? =D
Old 01-07-2005, 12:45 PM
MrPanz
Banned

Quote:
Pleae don't vote for an option where their is already a steady server that runs that server type
Quote:
Legit-Custom 53% [ 7 ]
I want pvp-race, so i chose team. closest to it.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Woodlife Treestrider
Banned

Default .....

to khan... changing the whole DB is not that easy, just so you know. New zones, new items, new npcs, blah blah blah is not simple. The new music part is a little far anyway in my opinion. Very few servers have custom zones, whether they have custom spawns or just plain out new zone created using openzone. Path of Chaos, which im working on with Boppoom and some others, should be very custom, and if you want to check it out, you might find you like it.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:24 AM
KhaN
Dragon

Building a DB is easy comparing to model new zones/objects, hell, even my grand'ma could build a DB. For example, spawn a whole zone, lets say, EC, it take what, an hour ?
Also, actually, technically, no servers run custom zones, many servers plan to make custom zones, but none were really released to public and used on a server.

Thru, thanks for offer, but im already working on a small thing

Old 01-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Woodlife Treestrider
Banned

Default .....

You have obviously not had much experience with MySql if you think its easy to change it as you might suggest. Changing small bits at a time is easy in general, that's if you have all the information you need. Let's take editing items for example (which believe it or not, is NOT the easiest thing to change, theres much simpler ones.). To change an item you must first have the idea of what type of item you want it to be. Let take an uber sword you plan on making for example. Ok, first, think of a creative name that players will want to use. Then, think, "Well, I need the weapon to be balanced class-wise, so what stats can I use or NOT use. And also, will the stats I give it be to weak or too powerful for the mobs on my server? Also, how do I get the itemids or the fileids, or the iconids. These are NECESARY pretty much. Now, maybe I want to make it a 1hs, ok, whats the skill number. Now, I want it to have a spell that procs, ok, whats the spell id? Now, whats the number to make it a worn proc? Ok, got those, let's go in game and check it out!" So, now your in game, you summon the item and.... oh. It doesn't work? Well, let's go back to the DB, find the item, and either redo everything or find the source of the problem. These problems can be SO small its unbelieveable. From having the wrong class number (the number that tells the DB which classes can use) to the wrong weapon type. So, let's fix the problem, go back in game and check it out. Ok, it works but the graphic isn't what I was wanting, lets go back and change it real quick. Now, what if you want the epic 2.0 graphic? Well, I have only known of few people whom know these numbers. One being myself, and I even have the class written next to it for each graphic. ok, we got 'em, lets go change it and check it out. Ok, in game, woot, it works and freakin awesome lookin now. Now, to try it on the mobs in my game. Well, this weapon will be available to people who will get exp in these zones, so let's go try it out on those mobs. Hmmm, seems a little strong or a little weak even, gonna have to beef it up. Well anyway, the problems and lists of things to do, can go on and on and on. Obviously, its not simple as you think. And also, making zones from scratch using openzone isn't all that easy and can get somewhat annoying trying to work with it. And, my server had new zones, but my comp being a piece of crap couldn't handle a server so I never got a chance to put it up for the public. But don't worry, the server im working on now (Path of Chaos) should be awesome and will have custom zones. So, to sum it up, no its not simple to edit a WHOLE DB to make the server totally custom. For the person who has to work on it, its a pain in the ass, but of course its worth it in the end, but it still is a job in its self to get there. So, even though I simpathize with you in that I would love to make a whole new EverQuest so to speak, it is NOT as easy as you so make it.

Orknel

P.S.
Path of Chaos website is www.boppoom.net check it out, it should be alot of fun.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Baron Sprite
Dragon

can someone give me the cliff notes of that dude's post it's too long to read and riddicule
Old 01-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Baron: He basically was ranting on how if you dont remember stuff or take reference notes, db editing isnt easy.

Woodlife: I completely disagree. With good organization, db editing is probably the easiest part of an eqemu. Doing it en masse is where it gets...more difficult.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Woodlife Treestrider
Banned

Default .....

Pathetic. Khan, you posting this on the IRC shows your newb-ness. These posts where NOT meant to be a flame but rather a way to show you and others that there aren't enough skilled and willing people to make a totally custom server with all new zones and mob types and blah blah blah. I NEVER said that there are none, but that its highly unlikely we will see very many. There are a few servers around, namely scorp2k and another one I forgot, that got close to having a truely awesome server. Unfortunately, they got boring cause class balance was not very great, and grouping wasn't even working and it was useless anyhow. Also, a good server requires more than just leveling everytime you get on. If you want to make a good server, have multiple zones (I mean like, ALOT of them) that you can level in, not just 8 or 9 inbetween level ranges. Also, you need to have a really great story, and implement it to incorporate itself into the game somehow. Cause all leveling and no story is BORING and dumb. I mean, I could type up a freakin' essay telling you how to make a good server but im sure you are smart enough to figure it out. Now, please remember, this ISN'T a flame, but im just trying to show people that custom servers are awesome, but being able to make a server where the eq zones and the mobs are all different isn't easy. Even though I would honestly put the time into doing this, I don't have the money to afford a better comp or a host. So, the closest I can get to it is by helping out boppoom. So, once again, THIS ISN'T A FLAME, IT'S A REALLITY CHECK FOR PEOPLE EXPECTING TOO MUCH OF THIS COMMUNITY.

Orknel

P.S.
Rich: You mention how Khan was a senior member.... big freakin' whoop, just means he posts more than I do.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Woodlife Treestrider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisyouc
Woodlife: I completely disagree. With good organization, db editing is probably the easiest part of an eqemu. Doing it en masse is where it gets...more difficult.
No, I feel you. I took this as an example cause it is what easy to give an example. But yes, I was trying to show how a person new to DB editing or server creating could have many problems. I mean, even the best can have problems and it can get annoying. But in general, yea DB editing is the easiest part, but when you try to edit the WHOLE thing to make a completely custom server, that's where problems and errors occur.

Baron: I have nothing to say, but this. Don't be a follower. If you were really a smart guy and what not, you would read and do with Cisyouc did. You post what you did cause your afraid of saying someone is right or wrong, and looking at the whole picture. Do yourself a favor, grow up.

Orknel
Old 01-10-2005, 01:37 PM
Knight Errant
Sarnak

Though I have not played an EQ Private Server I would probably like EQ Live\Roleplaying. Anyone know any Servers out there like that?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Pins
Fire Beetle

I would like to see a server that is a recreation of classic everquest (no expansions what so ever) with Guild VS. Guild or Everyone vs. Everyone PVP with no level restrictions on killing.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:00 PM
Woodlife Treestrider
Banned

Default empire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pins
I would like to see a server that is a recreation of classic everquest (no expansions what so ever) with Guild VS. Guild or Everyone vs. Everyone PVP with no level restrictions on killing.
I don't know if it's still around but Empire was a really fun server with that exact type of thing your asking. It was all old world (save for one zone which was the highest zone at the time that was Veeshan's Temple.). It was alot of fun and the was no level req. on pvp and was meant to be guild vs guild but you could kill your own guild members. I liked it, it was alot of fun, but was annoying as first trying to get high level cause people would PK you all day. Other than that, it was fun.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:03 PM
GAYLOVEPANDA
Banned

Quote:
There are a few servers around, namely scorp2k and another one I forgot, that got close to having a truely awesome server.
hahahahahaa, that was funnay.