Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-06-2005, 05:28 AM
Neoburn
Fire Beetle

Default Cobalt Qube 3 for a EQ server?

I have a chance to get a Cobalt Qube 3 server from our tech department at my campus and was pondering wether or not a 300mhz server will work sufficiently enough to host a eq server? Let me know what ya guys think. I myself have not experimented much with this so my knowledge is lacking in this department.

Below are the specs

COBALT QUBE 3 BUSINESS EDITION SPECIFICATIONS:
External Internet/intranet appliance, 300MHz AMD processor, 256Mb of RAM, 20Gb IDE hard disk, 10/100BaseTX Ethernet port, RJ-45 WAN port, nine-pin serial port, USB port. Web, FTP, email, file-sharing server services, integral firewall, supports CGI, Perl and PHP scripting, SMTP, POP3 and IMAP4 email protocols, NAT, DHCP, LDAP, DNS. Sun Server Web browser management interface.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:27 AM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoburn
I have a chance to get a Cobalt Qube 3 server from our tech department at my campus and was pondering wether or not a 300mhz server will work sufficiently enough to host a eq server? Let me know what ya guys think. I myself have not experimented much with this so my knowledge is lacking in this department.

Below are the specs

External Internet/intranet appliance, 300MHz AMD processor, 256Mb of RAM, 20Gb IDE hard disk, 10/100BaseTX Ethernet port, RJ-45 WAN port, nine-pin serial port, USB port. Web, FTP, email, file-sharing server services, integral firewall, supports CGI, Perl and PHP scripting, SMTP, POP3 and IMAP4 email protocols, NAT, DHCP, LDAP, DNS. Sun Server Web browser management interface.
well I have a 2gig and my cpu useage is thu the roof at times.
Im also looking to buy a new server but im also thinking
about leaseing a remote game server.

www.cheaterz.info

Last edited by sdabbs65; 08-06-2005 at 04:32 PM..
Old 08-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Traul
Hill Giant

I think you're going to need more RAM.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Neoburn
Fire Beetle

I did some research on it, and it will take up to 512mb of ram. Still not sure if that will be enough to run a server or not though....

Thoughts?
Old 08-07-2005, 10:05 AM
krusher
Sarnak

Not a chance in hell. Well i should'nt say that. You could run that box as your world/DB server and get another server to handle the zones. The heavy hitter in the emu world are the zone servers. Their the ones that take the load. But for a world/DB server that cobalt might be just fine.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:13 AM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoburn

Below are the specs

300MHz, I think it would be very laggy with process's
if you booted more than 5 zones. esp if there tons of mobs and I know of at least 5 zone you would have to lock out/ or delete npcs to keep from overloading your cpu.

www.cheaterz.info