Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Fadedspirit
Sarnak

Default Any Race/Class combo classic servers?

Been mulling around the idea for awhile, but I wanted to see if anyone has one of these in the works or up already?

I've always thought it was dumb that frogloks can't be magicians, or that gnomes can't be monks (seriously, the short people have the best center of gravity for kung-fu!).

I heard there use to be two servers that had this, but stopped for unknown reasons (it wasn't due to the any race/class combo, it was easily achieved according to an x-Guide from one of these servers I spoke to playing EQ-Live).

Is it "actually" that hard to achieve? What would I have to do other than setting all gear to any race ?

Cheers,
Faded
Old 10-12-2013, 06:53 PM
NatedogEZ
Developer

char_create_combinations table .. just gotta add all the ones you don't have
Old 10-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

You must modify two tables, char_create_combinations and char_create_point_allocations, you may modify these to have any race, any class, and even make all the classes have the same level of allocation in order to balance them.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:53 AM
Fadedspirit
Sarnak

Neato, thanks !

Trying to think if I want to set my own server up or not and work on it over time.

Couple more things though....

How hard is it to add new races to the global set? I just found one that has added like 138 races or so from the monster pool. However, most of them are pretty lame :P.

Was wondering if it was possible to say....add gnolls from BlackBurrow as a choosable race once you get in the game? Obviously the issue is that the way EQ used to work is that you could only have X number of global mob skins due to how it was designed.

Has that changed?

My idea:
-Add a couple basic new races, such as Gnolls, Goblins, Kobolds, Orcs, and otters.

-Allow anyone to become any race they want with any class they want (only possible at character creation!)

-1.25x normal experience

-Either a progression unlock or a normal server with Classic, Kunark, Velious, and PoP unlocked from start.

-Spawn times reduces for major mobs to 1/4th of their normal timers. In other words a Raid boss that takes 24hrs to respawn will only take 6hrs .

-Doubled drop-rate of items. (ie: FBSS will drop in every 10kills rather than 20kills on average).

The purpose of the server would be to harken back to "like live" old-school days, but with the idea that people have jobs/kids now and cannot play for 20hr playsessions at a time anymore . Also, I've just always wanted to play a gnoll magician !
Old 10-13-2013, 12:58 AM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

With races like that you could just have an NPC do that, that will work fine as long as you're not using the Rain of Fear client. Also, there are globalloads out now that allow all races to be global, although they're rather resource requiring.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:03 AM
knowom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadedspirit View Post
Neato, thanks !

Trying to think if I want to set my own server up or not and work on it over time.

How hard is it to add new races to the global set? I just found one that has added like 138 races or so from the monster pool. However, most of them are pretty lame :P.

Was wondering if it was possible to say....add gnolls from BlackBurrow as a choosable race once you get in the game? Obviously the issue is that the way EQ used to work is that you could only have X number of global mob skins due to how it was designed.

Has that changed?

My idea:
-Add a couple basic new races, such as Gnolls, Goblins, Kobolds, Orcs, and otters.

-Allow anyone to become any race they want with any class they want (only possible at character creation!)

-1.25x normal experience

-Either a progression unlock or a normal server with Classic, Kunark, Velious, and PoP unlocked from start.

-Spawn times reduces for major mobs to 1/4th of their normal timers. In other words a Raid boss that takes 24hrs to respawn will only take 6hrs .

-Doubled drop-rate of items. (ie: FBSS will drop in every 10kills rather than 20kills on average).

The purpose of the server would be to harken back to "like live" old-school days, but with the idea that people have jobs/kids now and cannot play for 20hr playsessions at a time anymore . Also, I've just always wanted to play a gnoll magician !
Chetari + Burynai + Otter = Redwall! FYI Burynai aggro radius should be zone wide because let's face it Honey badger dgaf and eats everything!
Old 10-13-2013, 02:15 AM
Fadedspirit
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowom View Post
Chetari + Burynai + Otter = Redwall! FYI Burynai aggro radius should be zone wide because let's face it Honey badger dgaf and eats everything!
ROFL!

Yea, and yea I was thinking about having new players spawn in a specific starter area that is locked off from the rest of the game that they cannot get back to. In this area, it would facilitate race/class change, and then once you're happy you start the game in your starter city !

If you picked a mob race it'd start in the city that it closest originates from.

ie: Gnolls come from Qeynos, Orcs from Freeport, etc.

Watcha think? Personally I like the sound of a classic legit server with a little "twist", but not so much of one that it ruins the feel of the server.

ps: Any recommendations for a server provider? How much do good ones run on average per month?
Old 10-13-2013, 04:24 AM
knowom
Discordant

It's your call really if your designing it you can do what you want to really. As far as server hosting I think it depends on your requirements. I think I recall reading you can expect about 10-20 people online at a time from a 1mbps upload connection. I think most just host it themselves if it's a small scale server they might upgrade their cable plan and pay $10-$30's more a month though for a plan with a better upload connection.

In terms of design it's entirely up to the developer how they want to setup the server players will either like it or won't and plenty won't mince words about their personal feelings about it if they do hate it. I think a twist is a good thing generally if it's too classic you run the risk of coming off as just another rip off server of project 1999 with a smaller player base, but that's just my personal take on the matter honestly.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Fadedspirit
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowom View Post
It's your call really if your designing it you can do what you want to really. As far as server hosting I think it depends on your requirements. I think I recall reading you can expect about 10-20 people online at a time from a 1mbps upload connection. I think most just host it themselves if it's a small scale server they might upgrade their cable plan and pay $10-$30's more a month though for a plan with a better upload connection.

In terms of design it's entirely up to the developer how they want to setup the server players will either like it or won't and plenty won't mince words about their personal feelings about it if they do hate it. I think a twist is a good thing generally if it's too classic you run the risk of coming off as just another rip off server of project 1999 with a smaller player base, but that's just my personal take on the matter honestly.
Honestly I cannot stand project 1999. They look down on multiboxers like we're cheaters. I multiboxed back in 1999 just fine, but then again I was in the 5% of EQ players whom had really good internet "Relatively" for the time.

That and I was a 10yr old that built computers and sold them to people rather than mowing lawns !

Trying to recreate that classic feel without stepping on people's toes telling them they're evil if they don't play how I experienced the game back then :I.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Tabaluga_Dragon
Fire Beetle

Make a server like that I for one would check it out.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:42 AM
rdnck
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadedspirit View Post
Neato, thanks !

Has that changed?

My idea:

-1.25x normal experience

eh? Normal server with no Luclin? What do you have against the kitties?
Old 10-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Fadedspirit
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnck View Post
eh? Normal server with no Luclin? What do you have against the kitties?
Not sure if I want to hate on kitties or not. I definitely will hate on the Drakken though. It all depends how people feel about it. Right now i'm on the fence.

Either:

Lock the server on release to Classic only, and allow cats, Iksars, and Frogloks.

OR

Lock the server on release to Classic only, and only allow Iksars.

The whole idea of the server is to have a classic feel, but not be 100%. I like to give people choices, which is why I'm currently trying to add Gnolls into the game as playable characters. So restricting races (other than Drakken whom can burn in a pit for all eternity) is kind of counter-intuitive to that mindset of choices.

I DO have All Race/Class/Deity combo working, and I decided on a landing hub-zone for initial character creation for you to choose your starting city from and/or if you want to play an extra monster race.

Right now my current problem is:
-Trying to find all the known textures for the different gnolls. I was only able to find 4 so far.
-Trying to figure out how to add Gnoll, and all its textures as a global model.
-Trying to figure out why I'm seeing human models in blackburrow for the gnolls there, but if i go into Qeynos Hills I see gnolls just fine?

Cheers,
Faded
Old 10-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Davood
Discordant

nobody mentioned Alakamin!

I have like 150+ races and all can be all classes on my server... i even have equipment working for monster races, and I figured out how to force display stuff for the regular pc races that they shouldn't be able to display normally (human with erudite hoodie etc).. only works in Titanium, SoD and RoF , but not in UF

And there is a bug with monster races, you can't enter the game if you are using the RoF client... it works on all earlier clients though.

i even have tiered skill progression using # commands for the non standard races.... as well as physical growth adn other goodies...

example:

dragons get various ae attacks and stuns..

also
you don't have to download anything to play on my server. its all serverside.

I hvae been maintaining it but i haven't developed for it since april as I've been involved in a massive project IRL that will result in $, eqemu is a hobby for me.. i put in the time I can.

I have tiers 1 through 30 open, but i have a design modeled and ready to go up to tier 70, and I will be experimenting with a newgame+ mode (when I have time.) where you can play continually more challenging instances of everything.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Davood
Discordant

oh yeah

i will be hacking together my own version of "project M" when I do have serious development time. (december probably). as my reason for making monster races was to eventually have two diametrically opposed ways of progressing through the content on my server.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Davood
Discordant

send me a pm and I can help you figure all this stuff out.. my server code (95% same as main eqemu) is on github too if you want to see what i did with beastlord pets and the special combat abilities (i changed some formulae)