Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:53 PM
zenthrose
Fire Beetle

so what your telling me then @demonstar55 is i have to play on live if i want to play eq?
there has got to be some way i can play on the eqemulator sites with some of the files from patching to live (multiple copies) up til the lastest patches i wasnt able to, but since then i can play live, so why cant there be some way for me to use those files so i can play here?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:51 PM
Uleat
Developer

In short, yes...

If none of the existing (and supported) releases of the client will run correctly on your computer, then you will have to make
do with a live-patched version of the client that will run correctly on your system.

Unfortunately, due to the difficulty of creating a client translator for the server, we don't have the resources to keep a 'live'
patched client actively supported.

As far as what you can use from a live-patched client...

That's really dependent on where the 'fix' occurred..though, I still doubt that a substitution strategy would prove fruitful.

The core of client integration lies in the 'eqgame.exe' binary. If the fix occurs inside of that file, then there is no feasible way
to force that 'client version' to connect to the emulator. It would take an entire translator construction to adapt its use...

IF the fix occurred inside of a dynamically-linked library file (like the dx file, for example,) then you 'might' get lucky...
But, since code changes usually change the entry points of binary files, you would likely suffer client crashes here too...

Someone else may have suggestions..but, from a developer's point of view, there's not much we can do.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 04-09-2015, 08:40 AM
trevius
Developer

I agree with Uleat.

A good experiment would be to make a copy of your Live patched EQ folder and then copy the eqgame.exe from your RoF2 client folder. Then update the eqhosts file and create the shortcut to eqgame.exe like normal and see if that makes any difference for loading. This should help rule out if the issue is with eqgame.exe (most likely), or with some other file(s) in the EQ folder.

If that doesn't work, my best suggestion would be to start googling for stuff like "Everquest APU Crash" and see if you can find anyone from EQ Live that posted a work-around/fix. Check the SOE forums as well. Maybe someone found a trick like changing eqclient.ini to something specific or putting EQ in some compatibility mode or something. You might also want to read through the patch notes from when that issue was fixed and see if the note gives any hints as to what they did to fix it.

If no one can find a fix, then there is very little we can do until they update Steam with a new EQ client that includes the fix. Even if they do, it could mean weeks/months/years before we have EQEmu caught up with the new client version.

From what I have read, the APUs are basically for notebooks/tablets. I would suggest playing on a desktop or laptop.

If you do happen to find a work-around, please be sure to post back here about it so anyone else with the same issue can resolve it as well.

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2015, 02:56 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenthrose View Post
so what your telling me then @demonstar55 is i have to play on live if i want to play eq?
there has got to be some way i can play on the eqemulator sites with some of the files from patching to live (multiple copies) up til the lastest patches i wasnt able to, but since then i can play live, so why cant there be some way for me to use those files so i can play here?
In order to play on an EQEmu server you must use one of the supported clients, patching to live will not work. If one of those specific clients do not work on your CPU, then you're screwed. But redownload the steam download (if you haven't backed it up) and try setting the affinity (WinEQ2 does this automatically) which you can do through the Task Manager (http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...formance-edge/)

The newer client's also have affinity options in the INI, I haven't really dicked around with them. Googling trevius' suggestion also leads to many threads to similar issues people have had on live, try some of those. But make sure you do not patch to live, since that will not work here.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:05 AM
zenthrose
Fire Beetle

I did figure out a way to play on the servers, but i dont know how well you like it. i had to use a different hard drive and install Linux Ubuntu and run RoF2 through PoL(PlayonLinux), but it does work with my apu processor with no other modifications done. but i am just posting a solution for those that have a laptop(netbook, notebook) that have the apu processors.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:52 AM
vsab
Discordant

Smile

Glad you got it working
Old 04-15-2015, 06:19 PM
Uleat
Developer

Yes, and thank you very much for posting your solution!

Compilin' Dirty
Old 06-24-2015, 10:11 PM
Asylum
Sarnak

Updated information please:

Is the current (6/24/2015) EQ client Release Date: Dec 13, 2012 available on Steam still the RoF2 client you are referring to (obviously without patching it)? Does anyone have a recent download of this to confirm it works on emulated servers?
Old 06-24-2015, 10:15 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asylum View Post
Updated information please:

Is the current (6/24/2015) EQ client Release Date: Dec 13, 2012 available on Steam still the RoF2 client you are referring to (obviously without patching it)? Does anyone have a recent download of this to confirm it works on emulated servers?
The current Steam version is unsupported. Also, we cannot distribute the client for legal reasons.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:23 PM
Asylum
Sarnak

I understand not publicly distributing the client. I was just wondering if the one listed as Release Date: Dec 13, 2012 is supported. Thanks for clearing that up. I was considering updating my server so that players with the RoF2 client would not have issues logging in, as seems to be happening. However, since the client seems no longer available for download, repacking feels like a waste of time and logging in with anything up through the RoF1 client works fine.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:18 AM
ward3
Sarnak

Anyone have working Custom UI's for rof2? I have only found quartz and lodi to be partially working. Lodi is nice, but no equipment icons display on the inventory window.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:29 PM
askyn
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward3 View Post
Anyone have working Custom UI's for rof2? I have only found quartz and lodi to be partially working. Lodi is nice, but no equipment icons display on the inventory window.
I have found a version of Sars ui that works with ROF2, if you shoot me private message with a email address I can try to mail it to you.

ROFL I must honestly be one of the few people around that doesn't have account some were to upload files to.