Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:16 PM
sudosteve
Fire Beetle

Default Nerd looking to contribute

Greetings!

I just had an itch recently to get back into EQ, but hated what live is now. After finding this site, I was delighted to see that there is not only an alternative, but what seems to be an awesome community working towards an awesome goal.

Last weekend I setup an eqemu in a few hours on my Debian system and was able to login from my client and fire up the world without a hitch. So many possibilities!

I would love to contribute to the community in any way that I can, but I'm not sure where to even start. So I figured I'd just list my skills here and see if anyone has any recommendations or can get me pointed in the right direction.

Here's a few skills I have that I bet would have a use here somewhere:
-perl, php, and some lua scripting
-C/C++ (a bit rusty), Java coding
-Mysql, some oracle
-LAMP stack
-I work all day with network stuff in a NOC, so I am very comfortable spending hours in wireshark
-I've written some basic network code (simple hardware config stuff)
-Server install, config, and secure
-Process automation - if there's a mundane, boring task that is time consuming, I'll find a way to script it.

It's likely that I've missed a few, but I believe these should be a decent example of what I can contribute.

I think I might be able to help with AA work and packetcollector, but am definitely open to other ideas.

Anyways, nice to meet you all and I hope to chat soon. Let me know if you think of anything I could help with.

-sudosteve
Old 12-15-2015, 07:42 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Depending upon your skill level, you could do just about anything you want to. We have an open source, you can read, write, or whatever you'd like. If you think that's something you're interested in, just check out our repository and see if you can find anything you'd want to do. You could also start your own server, write Perl/Lua for it, and maybe even create some web stuff like the PEQ Editor that we use or something similar. The possibilities are rather endless, all it takes is direction.

Tags
contribute, nerd stuff