Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:11 PM
Mogdar
Sarnak

Default Lua Script Issues

I've just noticed that many npc's, particularly some quest npc's are not responding. In checking, it seems they are all using lua scripts.

When hailed the npc's turn toward you but do not respond with what is in the scripts.

Running #questerrors gives attempt to call method 'findi' (a nil value)

This is in west freeport on at least 3 npc's that I have tried to this point.

Lady Shae, Pandos Flintside, and peasant woman. All responded, or rather didn't respond in the same manner.

I don't know enough about lua to know if the scripts are wrong but they look correct to me from the research I have done to this point.

Any ideas of what else I can check to find the problem and correct it?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogdar View Post
I've just noticed that many npc's, particularly some quest npc's are not responding. In checking, it seems they are all using lua scripts.

When hailed the npc's turn toward you but do not respond with what is in the scripts.

Running #questerrors gives attempt to call method 'findi' (a nil value)

This is in west freeport on at least 3 npc's that I have tried to this point.

Lady Shae, Pandos Flintside, and peasant woman. All responded, or rather didn't respond in the same manner.

I don't know enough about lua to know if the scripts are wrong but they look correct to me from the research I have done to this point.

Any ideas of what else I can check to find the problem and correct it?

Thanks in advance for the help.
You need lua_modules from the PEQ Quests repo which goes at the root of the server folder. This contains the function 'findi' as well as other functions that are used throughout scripts.

You will also need quests/global/script_init.lua to initialize these 'modules' properly.

This will make your issues go away.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:39 PM
Mogdar
Sarnak

Thank you so much that took care of it. I had the script_init.lua but evidently had missed copying the lua modules into the root. I love simple fixes.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:55 AM
Tyen05
Discordant

I found it extremely annoying to have perl and lua files for quests.

Has little to do with OPs question, but i spent quite a bit of time looking at missing quests in my source, referencing lua quests in peq, and then rewriting it in perl so i wouldnt have two file types as quests.

What was the point of adding lua?
Old 04-10-2014, 05:28 AM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Lua is more flexible than Perl. What is the point in not using both? You can still write your quests in Perl if you like, but it seems silly to rewrite things that are already working.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:11 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst2112 View Post
Lua is more flexible than Perl. What is the point in not using both? You can still write your quests in Perl if you like, but it seems silly to rewrite things that are already working.
Maybe from an integration standpoint. There are some powerful arguments for both from my perspective.

Tags
lua dum