Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Shiny151
Hill Giant

Default AA issue

Running a Windows server here with the latest builds and DB. I'm playing my Shaman class and underneath the Archetype tab I'm getting a: "Unknown DB String 900-1".

I have a few under the Special tab too.

I have the latest dbstr_us file from Live. What would be causing this?
Old 10-14-2012, 03:09 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

The way AAs are done on the emu to be compatible with several different clients means they aren't structured exactly the same as live, so there will always be some issues with the string IDs not matching up no matter which dbstr file you use. You just live with it.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:12 PM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

Just live with it is bogus... too much hard work has went into what we have coming up to stop mid stream and just say "live with it".
Old 10-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

Quote:
too much hard work has went into
Obviously not, otherwise the server op would be distributing a custom db_str file. Its a client side issue so don't expect it be handed to you on a silver platter.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:02 PM
hexluther
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryatis View Post
Obviously not, otherwise the server op would be distributing a custom db_str file. Its a client side issue so don't expect it be handed to you on a silver platter.
I get the idea that he is the server op in this case. I also got from what he is saying that he is using the db_str from Live, on a stock EQEMU build and that the mentioned AA's are showing the no string error.

Curious as to, what constitutes "handing" anything on a "silver platter", because I have to say, it sure does seem all too dominant an answer around here. I get that people should be motivated to get things done on their own -- but, what one may find 'easy' and maybe even something you or anyone else deems as 'common sense' may be difficult to another. So, this community is going to expand how? by perpetuating the "not handed to you on a silver platter" statements? Doubtful.

It's just a damn shame, because it really appears the attitude one would expect from the WoW community or should I say, "todays gamers", I sure as hell don't remember such attitude from my days of Beta 3 in EQ -- so sure, I suppose it's disheartening at least to see it. I'm just left to wonder I suppose, how much this community would flourish if the obviously experienced/skilled minds here weren't so brash. Surely it doesn't contribute to a flourishing community more than being kind about responses.

OP I can only point out what I am using in customizing my EQEMU. Though SOF+ and Titanium are evidently different, how, I don't know, but, dare I ask here how? I'm afraid to, lest I get castrated.

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...kka=DbstrUsTxt
Old 10-14-2012, 10:27 PM
Shiny151
Hill Giant

Caryatis, maybe you missed the point by me asking what would cause this? I don't mind rolling up my sleeves and fixing things on my own server/clients. What I'm really wondering if there's anything that *can* be done about the errors by your average server op (me). And overall I think the followup comment that was made about too much work being done wasn't being directed at a specific server op; I think it was referencing the community as a whole.

The searches I've conducted on the forum indicate you need an updated db_str file. Apparently that's not all it takes and if that's the case I'm willing to learn if someone is willing to help. I'm using the UF client by the way.

Thank you!
Old 10-14-2012, 10:36 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Yes, you can fix it if you really want to. You need to add the appropriate strings to the file for the missing IDs.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:39 PM
hexluther
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst2112 View Post
Yes, you can fix it if you really want to. You need to add the appropriate strings to the file for the missing IDs.
From one of those that aren't brash. Thank you. Lerxs, if I may ask. There is a difference between Titanium and SoF+ (at least going by the availability of two different dbstr_us.txt on other custom servers that support both types of clients), but I cannot find, thus couldn't point out to OP, the difference between the two.

Is this in the wiki and I overlooked it? I'm considering dropping Titanium support from my server before it goes up, though I'm afraid of what that might do to possible player base.

That said. The link I gave, unless I overlooked it, it doesn't say if it's for Titanium or SoF+, I just assumed Titanium as SoF+ support came later.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Caryatis
Dragon

Maybe you missed the fact I was quoting(and thus responding to) rhyotte, unbunch your panties man. If you are scared to post on a message board, then you have issues far beyond this game.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Shiny151
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryatis View Post
Maybe you missed the fact I was quoting(and thus responding to) rhyotte, unbunch your panties man. If you are scared to post on a message board, then you have issues far beyond this game.
I'm busy unloading my silver platter. Thanks to the others who actually have valuable responses and input.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Kayen
Developer

I tried pretty hard to make sure there were not any missing strings when doing the AA revisions this summer but its a rather difficult to impossible task maintaining cross compatibility with every client version and I am sure a few slipped by.

Here is a quick over view of how it works.

The dbstr_us contains an ID entry for each AA which then correlates to your 'altadv_vars' tables 'skill_id'. Your title and descript fields (title_id, desc_id) on Titanium some point to the eqstr_us.txt and some point to the dbstr_us, the fields in that table SHOULD be compatible with Titanium. On SOF+ clients, the title and discript fields are always from the dbstr_us, live no longer uss the eqstr_us for AA data. We use the 'sof_next_skill' which is equal the 'skill_id' of the first AA in that series, which is the same id for the title and discript.

So when your seeing an unknown string on SOF+ client it means the AA id, no longer matches the ID found in the dbstr_us.

Why does this happen? SOE has over the years changed the AA ids for many AA's multiple times. So if when we entered Glyph of Courage the ID was 4707 on Titanium and is now 7028 in VoA, if your using a VOA dbstr_us your going to be broken (this is just an example). MOST of the time SOE left the old entry in the dbstr_us so our stuff works regardless.

That said, I will explain how to diagnosis because it might just be an error that is easy to resolve.

In game see what the (ID# xxxxx) of the AA that is missing is.

Open your altadv_vars table, and find the skill_id that matches it.

Open your dbstr_us and do a search for that ID and see if it matches the AA name, if it doesn't match search for the name and see what the actual ID is.

If you find it has a different ID, then what I would recommend on SoF+ client is replace your 'sof_next_skill' with that new ID and see if it fixes your problem.

Sorry if this is complicated, but AA's are a real pain to maintaining across multiple different client versions.

BTW your ultimate option if you just can not find a solution and do not want an AA that can not be displayed properly is just to disable it by setting its client version to like 99 or something.

Kayen
GM Storm Haven
Old 10-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
I tried pretty hard to make sure there were not any missing strings when doing the AA revisions this summer but its a rather difficult to impossible task maintaining cross compatibility with every client version and I am sure a few slipped by.

The dbstr_us contains an ID entry for each AA which then correlates to your 'altadv_vars' tables 'skill_id'. Your title and descript fields (title_id, desc_id) on Titanium some point to the eqstr_us.txt and some point to the dbstr_us, the fields in that table SHOULD be compatible with Titanium. On SOF+ clients, the title and discript fields are always from the dbstr_us, live no longer uss the eqstr_us for AA data. We use the 'sof_next_skill' which is equal the 'skill_id' of the first AA in that series, which is the same id for the title and discript.

So when your seeing an unknown string on SOF+ client it means the AA id, no longer matches the ID found in the dbstr_us.

Why does this happen? SOE has over the years changed the AA ids for many AA's multiple times. So if when we entered Glyph of Courage the ID was 4707 on Titanium and is now 7028 in VoA, if your using a VOA dbstr_us your going to be broken (this is just an example). MOST of the time SOE left the old entry in the dbstr_us so our stuff works regardless.

That said, I will explain how to diagnosis because it might just be an error that is easy to resolve.

Open your dbstr_us and do a search for that ID and see if it matches the AA name, if it doesn't match search for the name and see what the actual ID is.

If you find it has a different ID, then what I would recommend on SoF+ client is replace your 'sof_next_skill' with that new ID and see if it fixes your problem.

Sorry if this is complicated, but AA's are a real pain to maintaining across multiple different client versions.

BTW your ultimate option if you just can not find a solution and do not want an AA that can not be displayed properly is just to disable it by setting its client version to like 99 or something.

Kayen
GM Storm Haven
Old 10-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Shiny151
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post

Kayen
GM Storm Haven
Fantastic! Thank you Kayen!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:06 AM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

@Kayen,

Thank you for the amazing work!

I just finished installing a fresh new server and PEQdb 2214. I noticed, as others reported, that some AA were showing up as uknown (house of thule client).

I tried what Kayen said, but it was no joy. I got the bright idea to go looking in my LIVE EQ folder for dbstr_us.txt and put it into my HoT folder. It Worked!! Now at the very end on the Specials tab there were suddenly 5 uknown expendable aa's where before they were there:
-- Unknown DB String 52000-1
-- Unknown DB String 52001-1
-- Unknown DB String 52002-1
-- Unknown DB String 52003-1
-- Unknown DB String 52004-1

It is late, I am dog tired... I have not yet tried to trouble shoot these as per Kayen's instructions, but honestly I really do not care about expendables.

By the way the Warrior AA :: Extended Ingenuity will only go 3/6 for me. Total AA spent not counting any expendables = 2591.

Another thing I did was to take my EQ Live :: spells_us and put it into my HoT folder, and suddenly effects on my armor worked I have not exaustively tested any of this yet, so please backup your files before you try this !!

Thanks again Kayen you rock my friend!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Kayen
Developer

Bug with with Extended ingenuity.

'SoF_next_id' = 8621

Replace that with.

'SoF_next_id = 8261.

Typo.