Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 09-22-2012, 11:24 AM
GurkhaPanzers
Hill Giant

Default No drop / tradable question

I run a server and high end items are set to no drop. While this works well in most cases I wanted to implement an idea that would allow them to be made tradable. Basically is it feasible to make an augment (with significant vender cost) and no rent that would turn a no drop item into tradable?

I can do some coding but honestly not really certain where to start.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:47 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

no it won't work this way. at least not with base coding.

You could try making items Attuneable instead - so they will be tradeable until attuned.

Alternatively, you could set a perl script (quest) where a NO-DROP item is turned to NPC for a TOKEN that represents that item +payment for services (in a form plat or expensive gem), and then the TOKEN can be traded to other players, who can turn it back to the npc to get the original item.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Or use global player.pl and add in sub EVENT_COMBINES in and when they use the aug distiller summon the tradeable version of the no drop item....which is alot cleaner than trading 1 for 2 for 3.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:33 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

hmm searched wiki for EVENT_COMBINES but couldn't find it.

Another idea is to make a tradeskill recipe that takes item + reagent and converts it into alternative item.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:10 AM
GurkhaPanzers
Hill Giant

Thanks for inputs the ideas of swaping items or tradeskill recipes are good ones. It answered my primary fear that there is no global way without addressing each item one at a time.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:10 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
You could try making items Attuneable instead - so they will be tradeable until attuned.
Attuning is nothing more than a hindrance. All a player has to do to un-attune something is die.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:21 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsschb View Post
Attuning is nothing more than a hindrance. All a player has to do to un-attune something is die.
That is a bug though, they should stay attuned after death.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:23 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

yeah and wasn't this bug fixed like years ago?
I remember reporting it back in 08:

==3/02/2009==
cavedude: (Theeper) Attuneable items will now save over zoning/camping and will no longer auto-loot from corpses.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:30 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
yeah and wasn't this bug fixed like years ago?
I remember reporting it back in 08:

==3/02/2009==
cavedude: (Theeper) Attuneable items will now save over zoning/camping and will no longer auto-loot from corpses.
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/sho...ght=Attuneable

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/sho...ght=Attuneable
Old 09-24-2012, 02:03 AM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

So Chaos, does that mean you tested it today and it still doesn't work or you just posted links to two threads about how it didn't work more than 2 years ago?
Old 09-24-2012, 02:20 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

I posted the links as indication that the big guys (KLS/Cavedude) were working on the situation years ago and supposedly fixed it.
Twice that is

It was also working for me not that long ago, unless it got broken again...
I haven't tested it with recent server release as I don't have access to my server PC atm
Old 09-24-2012, 07:28 AM
trevius
Developer

Well, the problem with attunable items and corpses is that our item instance struct that is used for corpses doesn't have a field for inst_no_drop to store if the item is attuned or not.

Code:
struct ServerLootItem_Struct {
	uint32	item_id;
	sint16	equipSlot;
	int8	charges;
	int16	lootslot;
	uint32 aug1;
	uint32 aug2;
	uint32 aug3;
	uint32 aug4;
	uint32 aug5;
	int8 minlevel;
	int8 maxlevel;
};
So, when items on a corpse are saved to the DB, the don't save the attuned settings for each item as they should. The problem is that we cannot adjust this struct without breaking all existing corpses due to their data all being stored in a blob which is defined by the corpse struct which includes the item struct above. Adjusting that struct would cause the existing corpse blobs to read incorrectly and it would break them from being able to load.

In order to really fix this issue, the best way would be to get all corpse data out of the blobs as we currently store them so that each field is saved into individual DB fields. I have done a little work on this, but it is a fairly involved task and nothing has been committed for it yet. Ideally, we would get rid of the corpse blobs as well as the blobs used for storing the player profile, which would greatly reduce the current limitations we have with both of those systems.

If your server does not leave items on corpses, then you could use attuned items without risk of the exploit to unattune the items. You would need to use the right return items plugin to do so, however. I posted that plugin here:

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/sho...39&postcount=6

Using attunable items is definitely the way to go for what the OP is wanting to do. You may need to do some special stuff to make it work the way you want, but it is possible. For example, you could use SummonItem() when you originally give the item to the player and you can set it to attuned at the time it is summoned so it will be no drop. Then, you could allow them to turn the item in to an NPC and have that NPC summon the same item for them without it being set to attuned so it would be tradeable. Though, once equiped, it will always become no drop again. To chance the mechanics much more than that, it would require some custom coding for how attuned items are dealt with.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

sub EVENT_COMBINE_SUCCESS

Of course you'd have to make the recipe, and an identical version of the item that is not no drop. Depending on what you're doing.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Caryatis2
Banned

Some mod has such a hardon for deleting my posts, they even remove useful info.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:45 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryatis2 View Post
Some mod has such a hardon for deleting my posts, they even remove useful info.
It is me (and possibly others). I probably end up deleting about 50% of your posts due to your attitude in them. I have even had to temp ban your account multiple times due to it. The mods are all tired of dealing with your constant drama on the forums. You are breaking several rules, including ban avoidance by posting under your second account while your primary account is under a week temp ban. If it continues, we will end up having to perma ban your primary account and any other accounts you have, which also bans any LS accounts tied to them (if that even concerns you anymore).

It is a bit annoying that I have to waste my time cleaning up your constant drama. We all get reported post emails weekly for posts you make. Why should we waste even more time to clean up your posts to retain any useful info you may post in the same post that you are starting drama in?

Yes, sometimes your posts are actually funny, and yes, normally your are speaking the truth in them. But, in the end, you are mostly just starting drama that could be easily avoided. This forum exists because of the community, but the attitude in your posts only scares people off from posting. I am sure it is taking a toll on the communication through the forums. It isn't good when people are scared to post because they will be made fun of. Yes, most posts that are made could probably be avoided if people just read a bit, but there is a ton of information here that isn't always as easy to find as it should be. For someone that has been around for years, everything seems easy to find, but there will always be people who haven't been around that long or haven't had the time to read most of the wiki and forums.

It takes no effort to post responses that don't make people feel like an idiot (even if it is a "stupid" question). If you can't do that, then I would suggest not making any response at all. It is too bad, because you have the potential to be a useful asset to the community. At this point, all you are is a hindrance.

I have no personal issues with you, but many people in the community do, which makes you into my problem (as well as the other mods). When you cause grief here, it causes me grief and it is getting quite old at this point.