Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:19 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

Post Emu New, 2 General Server Questions

I've never played om eqemu but I had over 1000 days logged on my main char on live, and I haven't played in about 5 years (a good year or so before Daybreak took over, and after preorder for whatever was after RoF, but before its launch). Have been greatly missing EQ lately, especially on satellite internet. With the Daybreak swap since then, several computer swaps and location swaps, as well as swap to windows 10 since then, one thing or another has kept me from logging in live to check it out, especially all the patching I'd need to do since last I played, so Emu with no expansions to catch up on and without the headache of catching up on 5 years and teh changes in the dev co itself, and of course the F2P aspect without playing on TEST, this seems the perfect answer to my problems.

Question 1: Not all servers have a concise description- What all servers are open or not open to join (public/private), allow boxing or hydras, AND are working in what to me would be modern eq..HoT to RoF era? I know I found 1 or 2 but I'm not real sure how ..normal..the gameplay is on them as they sound niche, so looking for a list that fits above description. Oh, and it must be swarm and headshot capable, not nerfed as I am born and bred SK of the Post OoW preNerf era lol, and I like to play with my ranja too..

My second question is for the near but not immediate future: How does one go about opening their own server? Are all the files avail to dl then you just customize? etc, Are they hosted at home, or with eqemu somewhere? and lastly, is it possible to host an eqemu LAN server? This one is especially of interest to me due to excruciating ISP in a house full of gamers. I am in the process of building a home server as it is, so if a LAN server is doable I'd be greatly interested, at least 4 of the 5 people over 12 in the house would probably play, and the 6yrold is older than my daughter was when she first solod in EQ, but is without her own computer or half the maturity lol.

Not a server question, but jsut quick dirty generic: Does eqemu run the same, better, or worse than Live, on the same computers for most people? Other than things like bugs and server hiccups. Is it a cleaner running game? Can you import layout/ui settings etc (not custom ui) from live if your settings are all RoF and you use the RoF client? or wont they work.

Thanks in advance guys.
Tegila Dsanguineroja of Saryrn-Bertox...and now homeless.

edit: sorry if any of these are silly questions. back when I played live and heard about eqemu etc I'd heard it was all kinda..different? like every object/npc/component got changed ever so slightly in name/appearance because they had to, but from screenshots I see here, that doesn't appear to be the case at all, so i'd think ui/settings etc would transfer from rof live. the hotkeys/buttons etc layout on my SK's screen took hours to update every expansion for new spells and aas and clickies, and I'd never be able ot fully rebuild it from scratch.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:56 PM
Uleat
Developer

You'll likely find that any server which has an UP status can be logged into.

Some servers may require custom files..but, you'll need to visit their website for more information in those cases.

Most servers are based on the default PEQ release database - which is in the post-GoD stage. (Some older servers may still be running an older database.)

There's no real answer that can be given without digging through old posts or having the servers admins themselves speak up.

---

If you use Akkadius's installer script, it will install everything that you need to host a server. All that you need to do is supply the client.

You can host off of your LAN address and bypass the need to connect to the public login server (there is an optional login server binary.)

---

Even if we do things more efficiently than live servers, we will never be as 'reliable' as live due to our systems being developed on observed
behavior rather than actual programming code. There's a lot of guess work that we have to do, as well as data collection, that all goes into
developing our server systems.

That being said, the servers are extremely stable and support most features that live does.

You will need one of the supported clients to play. Live-patched clients are probably not going to work - even if it is "RoF."

Our servers do not 'register' key codes..so, multiple computers can use the same 'key.'

Supported client downloads are relatively easy to find.

(Not sure on the UI files..maybe? Back-up copies of your client are extremely advised.)

Compilin' Dirty
Old 03-23-2018, 10:26 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

Thanks Uleat.

The first question was really hoping someone know what all are "modern" eq..i.e. make use of the full RoF install preferably, where most of what I saw seemed to be expacs from before I even started playing (latebloomer, my first toon was made Aug 15, 2007 lol, and I last played on CotF Beta server) and pretty much vanilla. I don't want/need any special rules etc, though extra xp and a trading system is nice, i don't need it. Just looking for normal, or only mildly enhanced, modern pve eq. no special rules no progressoin lock no box restrictions or the nerfing that I heard came about shortly after I quit (i'm guessing the swarm/hs nerf not an issue as they were post-rof though). Oh, and for the most part is the housing system fully in tact on the servers? I used to have almost 100 houseplots built up and half a dozen big guild halls. I liked to lego my eq lol, so i'm wondering if housing is avail, and if housing items that used to be in teh sc store, or similar, are avail. If anyone could help with this it'd be great. Picking a server to just be..me, myself, and I on lol, without learning new rules or losing out on half my enjoyment etc. Maybe there's a server-explorer out there that can help me?

I still have at least 5 different copies of eq Live, several of test, etc, and a folder for every toon I ever made with their ui/settings files lol. I keep backups of everythign EQ even if I don't play for years. I do have the supported releases as well, as when I bought my PC Shop it came with a whole shelf of old EQ discs...half of which were SoF lol, but i have the correct rof as well so that's not an issue.

So with the LAN server, it can be completely played offline if I set it up right? We have such a tiny cap (15gb a month traffic, gone in under a week) if i hosted a server it could only ever be open to public during our "free" bandwidth late at night. I miss EQ a ton, but I know the guys of the house are missing gaming they used to do and can't now, and I think they'd be happy playing an "online" game offline if it's possible, even if it's not brand new If i did make a lan server and bypass the loging, the other people would or wouldnt have to still make an accoutn first, to hold their charinfo etc ? I'd assume that'd be stored serverside, but if the server does go online/public even just late at night, i'd think it all needs to be kosher.

backups not an issue though lol..I have a folder backup of each toon's ui/settings and housing plots etc i ever made stashed in at least 2 places, and that's just the settings. Even 5 years later, I still have multiple backups of everything EQ lol, and while I have the raw rof2 client, i also have half a dozen sealed copies of SoF from my PC Shop days lol. Last expansion ever released on disc /sigh.