Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:36 PM
loglos
Sarnak

Default EQ Goes Free to Play

Just announced.

http://www.everquest.com/free/

Wow. Cool I guess.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Taurinus2
Sarnak

Nice.

They offer a nice selection for the free races/classes. War, Clr, Wiz and Rog. All core group/raid classes. Quite a luring prospect for the retired raider. Might have to check this out.

Should also provide a steady stream of packet collects for our beloved emulator.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:17 PM
liquest
"Special" Member

Now my main was on the test server where i had 2.5 mill plat lvl 85 T4 HoT gear and 2.5k+ aa's does that mean im screwed if i am free to play when it comes to him. i know test server allows everyone to get all expansions thats the only thing of a non issue. but idk how i feel about this. old players i believe have their characters grandfathered in if you are a race/class that isnt available. but still idk ill have to give it a shot again maybe not id preffer to just stick to the glorious emulator if all fails =D

Liquest Auctions, WTB AA's up to the current compatable clients PST with offer.

"A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." ~Fredrick Nietzsche

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.." ~Albert Einstein
Old 01-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Taurinus2
Sarnak

Their FAQ says this:

Quote:
Races and Classes: Any character you created before February 29th 2012 will be playable regardless of race or class. New characters that you create will be limited to the four available races and four available classes unless you purchase access to another race or class or upgrade to gold.
That is in reference to going from Gold to Silver.

Earlier on it says this:

Quote:
Previous EverQuest subscribers who did not have an active subscription at the time of the free-to-play conversion will automatically be converted to the Silver membership.
It is not clear if we can add 1 + 1 here to arrive at a conclusion, but there is your hope.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Phantons
Sarnak

It's nice that I'll be Silver for my old account, but I'm not sure if it's worth playing if I don't have Gold :O

Oh, and because it doesn't start until March 1st, I probably won't ever take advantage of it because TERA comes out. :/ oh well.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Rhyisa
Fire Beetle

The EQMac is also getting the axe. I never played it, but I'm surprised it was still kicking around. I wonder if they will get the chance to play on the EMU side? Just think of all those new players!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:25 PM
boweq
Hill Giant

Ouchie , A Max of 250 AAs On Basic..

I can See this being Abused hehe , People Fixing Bazaar etc ~

Although i might use it to 3box on Live a bit haha

My Current acount of 90SK
then a Cleric and Wiz haha
Old 01-30-2012, 05:35 PM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

Not a big surprise EQ live has been getting progressively worse for years now. Free to play is just another way to hopefully make a quick buck or two before they pull the plug.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Taurinus2
Sarnak

I believe it to be not about it "getting worse" but about SOE gravitating toward a micro-transaction model.

There is one small, yet tingling implication that comes with this. I believe that Sony in the past did not pursue the emulation community because they felt that unless an emu server was charging a subscription to play, then they would not have an easy win, simply because of the difficulty in proving financial damages (their business model and resulting income were simply at odds with this). Now with their micro-transactions aligning with donations* (on the emu side of things), it would be a lot easier to convince a court of this.

Doom-saying? Nah not really. I think it is something to keep in mind, though.

*Donations here refering to quid pro quo transactions in which players get in-game items on specific servers. Not donations given to the development team.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Soulcold
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragonsdg View Post
Not a big surprise EQ live has been getting progressively worse for years now. Free to play is just another way to hopefully make a quick buck or two before they pull the plug.
I guarantee the population will skyrocket back up, because a lot of the old time players will be checking the game out again. It may fall back down, but it certainly won't be one big ghost town anymore... might even see some new raiding guilds rise up to beat RoI :P
Old 01-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Vexyl
Hill Giant

So they are doing for EQ1 what they did for EQ2.
Too bad I hardly play either. Now if only they would make PlanetSide free...
Old 01-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Dinggo
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragonsdg View Post
EQ1 is and was never in danger of being closed down, even if they did not do this it would still be around 10 years from now, you can bet on that just like you could bet on death and taxes.

All this does is bring it in line with the way SOE bills games from now on, so they dont need to keep two systems for accounting purposes. I strongly doubt SOE will ever introduce a new game that is soley subscription based, I assure you Planetside 2 will also be the same new F2P model, as will any other game SOe creates from here on out.

The real Irony here is the only people that MIGHT be hurt by this is the EMU servers. There will be a population dip when this first comes out, it is almost assured, the real trick is will that population come back after a month or two.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Lillu
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinggo View Post
EQ1 is and was never in danger of being closed down, even if they did not do this it would still be around 10 years from now, you can bet on that just like you could bet on death and taxes.

All this does is bring it in line with the way SOE bills games from now on, so they dont need to keep two systems for accounting purposes. I strongly doubt SOE will ever introduce a new game that is soley subscription based, I assure you Planetside 2 will also be the same new F2P model, as will any other game SOe creates from here on out.

The real Irony here is the only people that MIGHT be hurt by this is the EMU servers. There will be a population dip when this first comes out, it is almost assured, the real trick is will that population come back after a month or two.
I completely disagree.

Other than death and taxes, nothing is sure in life, period.

None will change game billing because of an accounting system, lol. They do it because that's their only chance to keep EQ1 alive (at least to try it), just like other MMOs who lose player base and interest day after day.

I highly doubt many would go back from EQEMU to live EQ. EQEMU is EverQuest on crack, it's nostalgia, it's custom, it's versatile, it's basically endless fun, evolving day after day. We have an awesome community here.
If you want to play EQ live, get 95 levels, grind 7000+ AAs, do endless timesink progression quests, etc, you still need a subscription and have to pay just like before. Nothing really changed there.

Actually, I don't think many players pick EQEMU over Live EQ because it's free.. imo it's simply more fun. This is why I stuck here many moons ago.. and fyi I have 3 active EQ live subscriptions atm. I got bored of VoA during the beta period.. :P

That's my 2cp anyway.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Taurinus2
Sarnak

I suppose it comes down to this question:

Is the game a testament to the community or is the community a testament to the game? Sony is betting on the latter.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Banderas
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillu View Post
I completely disagree.

Other than death and taxes, nothing is sure in life, period.

None will change game billing because of an accounting system, lol. They do it because that's their only chance to keep EQ1 alive (at least to try it), just like other MMOs who lose player base and interest day after day.

I highly doubt many would go back from EQEMU to live EQ. EQEMU is EverQuest on crack, it's nostalgia, it's custom, it's versatile, it's basically endless fun, evolving day after day. We have an awesome community here.
If you want to play EQ live, get 95 levels, grind 7000+ AAs, do endless timesink progression quests, etc, you still need a subscription and have to pay just like before. Nothing really changed there.

Actually, I don't think many players pick EQEMU over Live EQ because it's free.. imo it's simply more fun. This is why I stuck here many moons ago.. and fyi I have 3 active EQ live subscriptions atm. I got bored of VoA during the beta period.. :P

That's my 2cp anyway.
Agreed. I am sure the reason SOE changed the EQ1 model (as well as EQ2) is because they are losing subscriptions (look at LOTR, D&D, DC Universe, etc etc etc). I don't see WoW going to a free-play model?

I predict that if anything, MORE players will come from EQ1 to EQEMU than leave EQMEU to EQ1. I have many friends and none of them want to go back to EQ-Watered-Down (tm).

EQEMU is where is at. Custom content, no grinding, fast and fun. BLEEP EQLive.