Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:11 AM
Ronliael
Fire Beetle

Default TutorialB, quest turn-ins being eaten alive!

Hello,

I've recently rolled up my first server! Very exciting stuff and I am by no means an expert but I am very tech-minded so I don't need a ton of hand holding. Well, maybe a little (databases just don't do it for me, ya know?).

I decided to go all-in and create the log-in server as well. After installing the Titanium edition client and a few tweaks I was up and rolling with no problem. Decided to give the first quest a go and found that Absor took my rusty old dagger and then just sat there, staring at me, not moving, not saying anything.....it was a very awkward moment. I gave it up to new game jitters - Old Absor isn't all THAT helpful anyway - and decided to move on to the tall scaly looking pair at the top of the tunnel. One asked me for an arrow. Made a pretty dramatic plea, really. Something about it could be the difference between life and death. I figured it was a fairly big deal so I went and gathered several. Gave her/him the arrows and he/she took them, and didn't say thank you, didn't update my quest, just stared, like Absor, only more awkward because it's a giant lizard and they don't blink!

I figure something must be amiss. Non turn-ins update fine (kills, etc). Tasks show as complete. On the technical side, Perl is installed, the quests exist in the \quests (lowercase q) by zone and NPC name, the plugins have been located in the EQEmuServer\plugins folder. World.exe has been run by itself. Shared_Memory has been run right after that. Everything closed out and the full batch file runs fine. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. (not an elf joke, I promise). Thanks!!
Old 09-10-2016, 02:57 PM
Mortow
Hill Giant

Not sure on the Absor quest but the iksar guard you turn the arrows in to, you have to give him the arrows 1 at a time, not all four at once. Give him one click give and then give him another. I haven't looked at the quest in a while but I couldn't figure out why you couldn't hand in all four at once (even unstacked) But he does work when done one at a time.

Both quests are in the tutorialb folder inside the quests folder. They are written in Pearl. If you don't have notepad++ installed, install it and open them with it to view and edit them.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:50 PM
Ronliael
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the response, Mortow. That brings up an interesting point. I did try to give him one at a time but the new, 4-slot "give window" was there. I wonder if there is something that isn't quite right with the titanium client (which wouldn't have had that window iirc) and the newer database. Any more thoughts?
Old 09-10-2016, 05:55 PM
Mortykins
Hill Giant

Just open up the Absor quest in tutorialb , and read what it's doing. You can post it in here and I can help you fix it if you like.

Mort
www.raidaddicts.org
Old 09-10-2016, 05:55 PM
Uleat
Developer

NPC windows are 4-slot windows, where clients are 8-slot.

I honestly don't know if it's been like that always..but, the window doesn't affect how the turn-in scripts handle items.

Are you using the quests downloaded through eqemu_server.pl or did you get them from another source?

EDIT: What was the name of the NPC that you got the arrow quest from/gave the arrows to?

Compilin' Dirty

Last edited by Uleat; 09-10-2016 at 06:03 PM..
Old 09-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Ronliael
Fire Beetle

Thank you both for the replies.

Mortykins, before I waste your time working on a quest that is probably fine, I just wanted to confirm another small turn-in was not working for me so I zoned into Halas and did the polar bear skin turn-in quest with Cindl. Same result so I must have something broken in my plug-ins folder. At least that's what it's looking like. In the FAQ section it details this problem exactly, so I'm going to have to look through that again, I think. If anyone knows the plugin that is responsible for the turn-in scripts that could help.

Uleat, the quest giver in Gloomingdeep is Rahtiz. The quest is "Rebellion Reloaded".

*Edit* I'm going to have to retrace my steps on where I got the quests...When I was working on it the Github or SVN checkout were giving me problems so I ended up downloading the folder from the google repository manually if I recall.

Thank you both again.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:21 PM
Ronliael
Fire Beetle

I found the quest location I downloaded. https://code.google.com/archive/p/pr...ests/downloads

Looks like I downloaded the 2294 revision from Dec 18, 2012 instead of the 2092 revision from January 3, 2012. That may be the problem right there.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Uleat
Developer

I think those are gonna be too old...

Akkadius has revamped the updater script..so, I'm not 100% sure how to get them atm..gimme a sec...

EDIT:

- manually start 'eqemu_server.pl'

- select 'assets'

- then select 'quests'

That should download the latest quests for you.

I tested on my dev server and had no problems turning in 'Class 1 Wood Point Arrows' to get the quiver.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 09-11-2016, 09:10 AM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

If you're gonna download something, use the github downloads: https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/releases. Those are at least current within the last few months.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:28 AM
Ronliael
Fire Beetle

Ahh! Thank you, guys! It was kinda late and I was a bit overwhelmed on my first go-round when the github kept telling me the address in the wiki didn't work. I couldn't figure out if it was me being inept or the guide having not been updated (or a combination of both) I appreciate the feedback and I'll give those a try today and let you know how it went.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:47 AM
DanCanDo
Discordant

Not sure about anyone else, I use the GitPull for the ProjectEQ quest updates.
I run the gitpull about once a week, usually something shows up for an update.
https://github.com/ProjectEQ/projecteqquests
Old 09-11-2016, 10:51 AM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

Generally, that's not a bad policy as long as you're using all stock quests. Usually a good idea to look at what you're pulling first though.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:24 PM
DanCanDo
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0ctrnl View Post
Generally, that's not a bad policy as long as you're using all stock quests. Usually a good idea to look at what you're pulling first though.
Oh definately, it gets pulled in to a seperate folder, then I scrounge through it.
I've customized several default scripts, so I stay away from any auto-updates,
in any case.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:51 AM
Ronliael
Fire Beetle

Ok, quest turn-ins are working. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! I obviously have a ton to learn about how all of this works but I'm on my way. When I updated the quests using the eqemu_server.pl, assets, quests method, I also decided to update the plugins as well. Now, I have gained tons of abilities; Lesson of the Devoted, Chaotic Jester, etc. There are a few at the bottom that say "Unknown DB String xxxx-1". Looks like I may need to update something else as well. I may try that GitPull you mentioned, DanCanDo. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-11-2016, 05:30 PM
Uleat
Developer

The "Unknown DB String..." label is a result of your dbstr_us.txt file not containing information that the server is sending to your client.

Things have changed tremendously over the last 6 months in regards to server setup.

We try to keep the wiki updated, and we apologize in cases where it's not .. but, any information taken directly from the forums should be considered 'risky' to use -
especially if it's more than 3-4 months old.

Compilin' Dirty

Tags
items, quests, titanium, turn-in, tutorialb