Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:34 PM
imanlyman
Fire Beetle

Exclamation Login Server Down?

Who are we supposed to contact when there is issues with the login server? No one can connect, without spamming login attempts! Please advise.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:41 AM
Arcaan
Fire Beetle

Ya it is getting to be pretty frustrating as this is happening often yesterday it was down over 12 hours. There seems to be nobody really monitoring it because it goes down for long periods of time.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:30 AM
TetsuoK
Fire Beetle

thirded.

THis is stupid. I've been trying to login the last 4 and a half hours. TO no Avail. It is ridiculous. What the hell is the point, anymore?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:31 AM
trevius
Developer

If you can get to this website to post, then the login server is up. They run on the same PC and there are no problems right now and it has been fine all day. So, if you are having an issue logging in, it is on your end. What is the message your are getting when trying to log in exactly? You aren't even able to get to the server select screen?
Old 12-29-2008, 01:46 AM
TetsuoK
Fire Beetle

When I get to the server select screen, it is blank; there isn't a single server displayed.

It has been doing this all evening.

I haven't changed a thing to my configuration on my computer between today and yesterday; that which would cause this.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:07 AM
TetsuoK
Fire Beetle

Step 1) Run eqgame.exe -patchme (like i always have)

Step 2) Enter account name (TetsuoK) & password

Step 3) Click connect

Step 4a) "A Connection to the server could not be reached etc etc
b) "Error: Timed out
c) "Logging in" -- 5 or 10 minutes goes by and I restart program. go to step 1)
d) I get to server select screen and everything is blank
e) I get to server select screen and it lists my servers, I click on my preferred Server (VZ/TZ) and then am told "A connection error occurred"

Forced to go to Step 1.

Been doing this the last 5 hours. Its ridiculous. I havent' changed anything in my system since yesterday, and it worked fine all the way until 4am this morning.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:26 AM
TetsuoK
Fire Beetle

well, i did everything in that faq/guide described. It made a noticeable difference in speed on my computer, and I was analyzing packets with wiseroot. I didn't have any spyware doing anything rude to my system, but I did have alot of registry that was obsolete.

I disabled QoS and that made a world of difference for sustaining connection and eliminating lag death.

weebroot however did not have a working link.

Maybe look that one up again when you have some freetime.

Thanks for the advice, but i'm still noticing connection problems to the login server.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Aena
Fire Beetle

Default This might help....

I had problems like this once, everyone else was connecting but I couldnt and what it came down to was my DNS cache was fucked up some how so I fixed the issue by flushing DNS cache.

Dunno what system you using but here is a guide for both.

Windows
````````
at command prompt type:

c:/ipconfig /flushdns

you should get a message like:

successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache

Linux
````````
In Linux the nscd daemon handles DNS Cache so to flush you need to restart the nscd daemon.

at console type:

/etc/init.d/nscd restart

Also
``````````
On both Windows or Linux take a look at your HOSTS file and make sure eqemulators loginserver address isnt stuck in there with 127.0.0.1 infront of it. Heh, ya sounds stupid but happened to a friend of mine and we couldnt figure out what was stopping him from connecting to loginserver turns out localhost was infront of the loginserver address in his HOSTS file.

Hope the DNS Cache Flush helps you. Take care.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:24 PM
TetsuoK
Fire Beetle

I'll try te flushdns tonight, and i'll recheck the hosts.

I just had a thought though.

What ports are necessary for the login server, and my preferred EQEmu server?

I am plugged into a router (wireless, but it is a rangemax, so it runs everything else wonderfully).

How can I configure the router for port forwarding? I used to plug right into the gateway, but now I do not. I have a static IP on my LAN, so port forwarding should work as a beautiful alternative, so long as I get the right port configuration.

Does anyone have this information?

THank you, again.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:50 AM
Aena
Fire Beetle

Just to clarify.. when I say HOSTS file I dont mean eqhost.txt.. I mean the HOSTS file. I dont remember the actual path on windows or linux but you can easily find it by doing a file search and it shouldnt have any extension, should just be called HOSTS.

Also, something to look into if you are running a firewall is to make sure your firewall isnt blocking the loginserver address or the loginserver port. A friend of mine was running his eqemu server on Vista Business Edition and windows firewall was treating eqemulator as suspicious software and was blocking it, my friend had to open up windows firewall and set it to allow the connection.

theres actually a ton of ways that your pc can stop you from connecting to the loginserver. I suggest you make a list of all suggestions youve tried and start checking them off as you try them, soon or later you'll get it solved through trial and error heh.

hope you get it working, take care.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:01 AM
Aena
Fire Beetle

Default small error on my part...

made a small error on my part concerning flush dns was typing fast and didnt check my typing.. command for windows should be

at c:\

type:

ipconfig /flushdns

if using Vista you will have to run as administrator. you can do so by clicking start menu then type cmd in search box. right click on cmd icon and click run as administrator, then cd.. until you get to the c:\ prompt. now type the ipconfig /flushdns command. dont use vista much sorry about my inaccuracy lol.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:01 AM
TetsuoK
Fire Beetle

I took the final plunge.

After numerous work arounds. reconfigurations of the router, or the gateway, linetests, speed tests, variations between my vista machine and my xp machine, I have reformatted my XP (problem) machine.

I was due for one for the past year; its been 3 reinstalls of XP, 2 years, and 1 memory and harddrive upgrade since I've done it last.

So far, i'm installing all drivers from the bottom up, and we will see where it goes from there. I'll post a final update the moment after i press "login."
Old 01-05-2009, 04:01 AM
TetsuoK
Fire Beetle

It worked. the format helped the zone death/etc.

I also plugged my computer directly into my router as opposed to using wireless, and the problems are now virtually 0.

Kind of a shame, because i hate wires going around the apartment. but oh well. It fixed the problem entirely.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Arcaan
Fire Beetle

My thing was that it seams that the people runing the LS are being gracious enough to run it but they are not supporting it as much. There is this torn state between keeping comunity together and letting someone else in on what could be a "security risk" situation. What I am trying to say is that it is very frustrating when stuff goes down and nobody is really around to contact because people in charge are not as involved anymore. A community this big needs at least one person that is on top of the LS and heavily still involved if we are going to all depend on it. To have all these server admins and devs frustrated because they are unable to do anything for their community when the LS goes down because whoever is running it is unreachable is really a bummer for everyone. I really ask that the EQEmu people look into this cause it is getting worse and worse. If you want to keep the community together then it needs to be a fully supported community.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Yeormom
Discordant

Report when it is having problems on irc in #eqemu and Doodman or Rogean will reboot it.