Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Stope21
Fire Beetle

Default Shards of Dalaya - Custom/Legit

Shards of Dalaya is a free, custom legitimate server.

It is one of, if not the most popular emu servers, supporting over 500 people playing simultaneously. Many people consider it to be, "what live should have been."

On this server you will find:
-Over 100 custom zones.
-An immense progressive raiding system.
-Full guild support, and many active guilds.
-A lvl cap of 65.
-An accelerated exp rate. It generally takes anywhere from a week to 2 months to get level 65, and that is just the beginning!
-Over 500 aa's/class.
-A custom tome system that will allow you to further progress your character if you do so desire.
-A large team of developers that truly care about the server, many of which have been working on the server for years.
-A massive player run wiki.
-Forums with over hundreds of active members, and plenty to discuss.

Link: Shards of Dalaya
Old 02-17-2009, 05:20 PM
trevius
Developer

So, since SoD is advertising for players from this project, is it ok for EQEmu to advertise on the SoD boards? :P

EDIT: Sorry, not trying to start a flame here. I am just saying I doubt they would be happy if we advertised on their boards in this manner.
EDIT2: I moved this to off-Topic since SoD is completely unrelated to EQEmu other than it being another Everquest Emulator. This is fine for Off-Topic though I think. It is basically the same thing as a WoWEmu or EQ2Emu server being advertised on these forums and off-topic is the right place for that.

Last edited by trevius; 02-18-2009 at 02:40 AM..
Old 02-17-2009, 06:25 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

he forgot to add - HIGHLY ILLIGAL
Old 02-17-2009, 10:59 PM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

Agreed,

I would normally lock this one down, but I'll keep an eye on this thread.

GeorgeS

http://www.georgestools.chrsschb.com//
Old 02-18-2009, 10:47 AM
porigromus
Fire Beetle

Too bad all emu projects wouldn't share code among each other. What license is the code under GNU?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:22 AM
Waldoff
Fire Beetle

Hey folks,

Head developer Wold from Shards of Dalaya here.

I just wanted to let you know that we did not officially endorse this post in any way - it was by a regular member of our server. As much as we want publicity we have no desire to step on toes and are sorry if this did so.

Just figured I would stop by since this post was brought to my attention (by mister Stope above bragging about his amazing advertisement skill). Just so you know though we do not keep our eqemu origins quiet at all - I would daresay most people who play SoD have healthy knowledge of eqemu.

-Wold
Old 02-20-2009, 05:38 AM
Stope21
Fire Beetle

I advertise eqemu servers to my SoD friends, and I advertise SoD to my eqemu friends.

I enjoy playing on both, and I feel that both parties would benefit from eachothers' player bases being more informed as to their choices.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:47 AM
Stope21
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
I am just saying I doubt they would be happy if we advertised on their boards in this manner.
If yall posted in the appropriate section, or a member of their community posted in this forum:

http://forum.shardsofdalaya.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

I don't believe they'd have a problem.

Also, sorry If I posted in the wrong forum. I felt it was the appropriate place, as this is where most other servers were being listed, and where most people will look first when trying to find out information on emulated servers.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stope21 View Post
Also, sorry If I posted in the wrong forum. I felt it was the appropriate place, as this is where most other servers were being listed, and where most people will look first when trying to find out information on emulated servers.
It's no big deal, really. :p

It's always been an unspoken rule that we generally only advertise EQEmulator servers hosted or related to the eqemulator.net loginserver in the eqemulator forums. Everything else gets thrown away in the off-topic forums.

I personally don't have any problems with it as long as it's in the right place, and what Shards of Dalaya wants to do with advertising on their board is their business.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:00 PM
KLS
Administrator

Wold, I hate you.

<3,
Kimmy.

Just to add

Quote:
I would daresay most people who play SoD have healthy knowledge of eqemu.
This is pretty much why the community has me, I used to be a pretty big SoD player... IN FACT Wold was in my guild for some time. But I got fed up with some parts of the community and the management. But I decided I still loved working with the emulated server and that's basically how I got working on the server here and PEQ, because at the time I thought damn the stock server is so far behind what SoD has implemented. Glad to say we've caught up.

Long story short: I don't think it's entirely helpful to have such hostility to SoD. Hopefully on the flip side people understand why we only want servers apart of our community to be advertised here.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:40 AM
trevius
Developer

I agree, KLS. I didn't mean hostility in any way in my post. I wasn't aware that it was just a player from SoD that was advertising it. I just saw their join date from like 2003 or so and figured they were probably SoD management of some sorts. Since these are EQEmu forums and since SoD isn't quite EQEmu anymore, that is why I moved the post. If someone from EQ2Emu posted an advertisement there, I would have moved it as well and consider it to be a similar situation, although a bit more of a grey area.

Honestly, I am sure SoD and EQEmu have alot to learn from each other. It would be nice if we both shared freely and maybe even worked together. Our source is free to anyone who wants it, so it makes it easy enough for them to take anything they like and use it. I know there have been a couple tidbits of code from SoD that helped EQEmu considerably. I believe that is where the fear code came from recently that has helped alot. Really, I see little reason for the 2 projects to be separate. Just like EQEmu servers, the thing that makes SoD stand out is their database and quests (and their custom files too). The source code is just a means to use it.

I imagine that once SoF is complete and functional, SoD may take consideration in making an update to their code to make them compatible as well. If that does happen, I hope they will also consider to keep sharing with EQEmu from time to time if/when possible

I don't really know much of the history of SoD and EQEmu and how the branch off happened. I just see potential for both projects to benefit from each other. We are all EQ Emulators after-all I know plenty of players have hopped between EQEmu servers and also between EQEmu and SoD. The more players that either project has, the more potential there is for both projects to grow player numbers.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:37 AM
LumieX
Fire Beetle

SoD wouldn't suck if it were a PvP server
Old 02-23-2009, 01:32 AM
Aonelyn
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
Wold, I hate you.

<3,
Kimmy.

Just to add

This is pretty much why the community has me, I used to be a pretty big SoD player... IN FACT Wold was in my guild for some time. But I got fed up with some parts of the community and the management. But I decided I still loved working with the emulated server and that's basically how I got working on the server here and PEQ, because at the time I thought damn the stock server is so far behind what SoD has implemented. Glad to say we've caught up.

Long story short: I don't think it's entirely helpful to have such hostility to SoD. Hopefully on the flip side people understand why we only want servers apart of our community to be advertised here.
What guild did you own? lol
Old 02-23-2009, 02:38 AM
KLS
Administrator

I was in Ruin, I refer to it as mine because it was the one I was in, and that's just the way I say things. I didn't actually own it obviously

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius
I imagine that once SoF is complete and functional, SoD may take consideration in making an update to their code to make them compatible as well.
I'd say if they haven't updated to a new client by now despite the benefits another newer one's not gonna be any more persuasive

It would be a considerable amount of work as their source is probably pretty heavily modified at this point. You wouldn't be able to just switch pieces in and out and say 'oh hai it werks'; it would take pretty intimate knowledge of current client workings and netcode, and I don't wish to offend but I doubt anyone on SoD current staff has that. Have to weigh the pros of having a more modular client with access to more zones versus the cons of a significant time investment when they haven't even utilized all the zones on their current client. Probably not something they'd be rushing to do anytime soon.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Xabob
Discordant

idk how old this is but what about, just building support into the eqemu login server to support shards? That way Eqemu people would be like oh hey i wanna try that and SoD people would be like oh hey i wanna try that one and we could be one big happy family?
[12:38] <RangerDown> I watched Napoleon Dynamite the other day
[12:39] <Xabob> omg
[12:39] <Xabob> want me to shoot you now?
[12:39] <RangerDown> and the first words out of my mouth at the start were:
[12:39] <RangerDown> Hey I bet Rog looks like that