Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:00 AM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

Default Steam

When did steamguard become mandatory for all Steam accounts?

I tried logging into my account yesterday to check Underfoot for updates and well that did not happen because I am locked out of my account thanks to steamguard. To make things even more fun they are sending the validation codes to the wrong email address and their support staff are complete morons.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:19 PM
trevius
Developer

What is Steamguard? I just logged into my Steam account fine using their app and I haven't logged into it for probably a year.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:18 PM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

It is some sort of account protection mechanism that works in a similar manner as Apple's music and video protection where you have to link the account to a specific computer. Apparently it was implemented back in March and is suppose to be optional but apparently it is on by default.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:47 PM
trevius
Developer

Hmm, I guess mine is ok due to it having been installed on this same PC the whole time. I did see steam patch a bit when it started up, but didn't see anything new like that stupid itunes thing that limits how many PCs you can install it to.

Anyway, I downloaded EQ from Steam again to check the version and it is still the UF client. I am sure we will start seeing posts fairly quickly once the update happens. I am expecting it to be really soon now though, if they follow the way they have been doing things.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:49 PM
iggi
Sarnak

I have 5 PCs with steam at 3 different locations, it gets annoying because I think 3 or 4 different locations is when it trips on you, so when I go offsite or to a friends house/lan party it is a pita. The first one I got was probably 6 months ago. I understand the need, but it's a pain for people like me though I'm not the norm.