Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:50 AM
HolyCow
Fire Beetle

Default The mega boxer hardware specs

I am always wondering what type of specs players are putting together to achieve stable multiboxing on a single machine. I personally have always been a big bang-for-buck PC builder, and my first boxing experience was on a Duron 1200 and 64mb AGP card. I used macros at that time to keep all my bots staring at the floor of the game.

Today, I feel like there are a lot more considerations. AMD has 3 distinct lines of processors out there... Phenom IIs, Phenom FX, and A-series. Intels Sandybridge and rumor mill are exciting to read about, but the price tag is clearly elevated. For the EQ player, 2005 graphics don't need 2012 processing to get the job done well.

My latest question is this: has anyone trialed the new Phenom FX octacores and compared them with either the I5-2500k (quad core) or Phenom II 1090T(hexacore) on an EQ multiboxing set up? We already have plenty of benchmark data on video encoding, 3d design software, int math calculations, etc. I haven't been able to find any data to prove how well any of these processors stack up when running multiple Emu instances without reaching a memory bottleneck.

I'm currently running a Q6600, 8gb (ddr2 800) ram, and a 9500GT 1gb on a trusty gigabyte 965P model motherboard, and it is stable like a rock. However, in moving to the underfoot client, I now able to stretch my memory farther and appear to be running into processor bottlenecks (stock 2.4ghz.)

If anyone out there has there data clean and lined up including utilization under load, I'd like to hear about your experiences.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:52 AM
Durge
Sarnak

I'm currently running a Phenom II x6 1100T at about 3.5 GHz, an XFX Radeon HD 6850 graphics card, 8gb of ram, 1 terabyte hard-drive at the moment. Works like a charm for me when boxing EQ. So far I can total up to about 26 running clients at once. I'm using the HoT client atm as well.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:17 PM
HolyCow
Fire Beetle

Anyone running the latest line of deemed flops from AMD, Bulldozers (the 8120+ line)?