Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 06-27-2005, 12:23 PM
VoodooGnome
Fire Beetle

Default Another 1017 post (sorry)

I have searched the forums, and I know there are a LOT of 1017 posts. However, the only one I found with the exact problem as I have had no responses. When I set my boot5zones.bat and loginserver.ini to my external and internal IP's, other's can connect, but I get 1017. When I set them all to localhost I can connect. I've tried using localhost and 127.0.0.1 in place of my internal IP and still get 1017.

I am behind a router, it's a D-Link and I've forwarded all necessary ports (and then some).

If anyone can offer any suggestions, I would be most grateful. And if more information is needed, just ask. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:11 PM
Sarepean
Discordant

First, turn on your DMZ.

Second--- I was told by an admin that my boot5zones.bat was incorrect when he looked at it and that I had my internal and external IPs switched. However, they worked for me both ways and I'm behind a Linksys router. *shrugs* Flip the IP addresses and try it.

Does your loginserver.ini have your world address as your internal or external IP address? Try putting it on your external IP address when you're using boot5zones.bat with internal and external (internet) addresses.

However, I think DMZ may fix the problem.

EDIT:: Also, there are a lot of times when searching the forum doesn't do a lot of good since what you need may not be worded exactly or sometimes people don't reply when a solution suggestion works to let everyone know that THAT solution fixed their problem. Don't be fearful of posting. =P
Old 06-27-2005, 06:34 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Setup a hostname for your machine (you know like foo.com) There are many free services available and it gets the problem every time. Use foo.com in place of your internet IPs. Of course for that to work, you'll need to make an entry in your HOSTS file directing the server's local IP to foo.com

Last edited by cavedude; 06-28-2005 at 02:36 AM..
Old 06-28-2005, 01:10 AM
VoodooGnome
Fire Beetle

Default Okay..

I tried setting my machine as DMZ before, and it didn't work. As for my boot5zones.bat, it's external port internal, and my loginserver is set to my external. And the "foo.com" thing, I don't know how to do that. Think you could maybe PM me or reply with instructions on exactly how to do that? Thanks for your speedy replies.

EDIT: I just tried using no-ip.com. I have it set up as...

Hostname: myserver.no-ip.org

Host Type:
DNS Host(A) <~(this one selected)
DNS Host (Round Robin)
DNS Alias (CNAME)
Port 80 Redirect
Web Redirect

IP Address: external ip

Assign to Group - - -

Anything there I need to change? And anything else I need to do?

Last edited by VoodooGnome; 06-28-2005 at 11:13 AM..
Old 06-28-2005, 12:54 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Replace any mention of your Internet IP address with myserver.no-ip.org in your configuration files (loginserver.ini boot5zones.bat)

Next open your HOSTS file on ANY CLIENT machine on your network that will connect to your server with notepad. Under 2000/XP it is found in WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc Right below the line that says:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Add

Local IP of server myserver.no-ip.org

so for example,

192.168.0.1 myserver.no-ip.org
Old 06-28-2005, 03:55 PM
VoodooGnome
Fire Beetle

Unhappy Still not working...

Ok, my boot5zones.bat is set to:
start zone . myserver.no-ip.org 7995 localhost (also tried 127.0.0.1 and internal ip)

My loginserver.ini is set to:
world address:myserver.no-ip.org

My host file is set to:
auto.search.msn.com 127.0.0.1
192.168.0.103 myserver.no-ip.org

And I'm still getting 1017 when I try to connect
Old 06-29-2005, 06:42 AM
Sarepean
Discordant

Okay, I'm posting everything. Compare and whatnot--- copy and paste if you need to.

Loginserver.ini:

### --- This file tells world.exe what loginserver to connect to.
### --- Leave the account and password field BLANK.

### --- Public Login is un-supported as is LAN playing. We reccomend using the EQEmu.net Loginserver ALWAYS.

### --- NOTE: Starting 6-1-2002, you can no longer use the word "Server" in worldname.
### --- NOTE2: the word "Server" is added to each server automaticly.

# READ README.TXT

[LoginServer]
loginserver=eqemulator.net
loginport=5998
worldname=Sarepean's Test
worldaddress=70.178.49.239
locked=false
account=
password=

[WorldServer]
Defaultstatus=0
Unavailzone=

[ChatChannelServer]
worldshortname=
chataddress=
chatport=

boot5zones.bat:

REM: ****Read this first!!!****

REM: This file requires your real IP in the place of "EXTERNAL_IP_HERE" when you are connecting
REM: To the EQEmu Loginserver.

REM: When you are using minilogin, Replace all IP Addresses to say 127.0.0.1

REM: If you still get errors try using localhost instead of 127.0.0.1

REM:--------------Start-----------------------
@echo off

if NOT exist spells_en.txt goto NOSPELL

REM: start zone . external ip PORT internal ip

start zone . 70.178.49.239 8766 192.168.1.100
start zone . 70.178.49.239 8764 192.168.1.100
start zone . 70.178.49.239 8765 192.168.1.100
start zone . 70.178.49.239 8763 192.168.1.100

exit
cls

:NOSPELL
echo You did not copy the spells_en.txt from your everquest directory to this one. Please do so or zones will crash on startup.
PAUSE

REM:---------------END------------------------

Also, make sure that your spells_us.txt and spells_en.txt are current to your version.

If you make any changes, try it on your port forwarding setup and then on DMZ if it doesn't work. Let me know how it goes.

-Sarepean
Old 06-29-2005, 07:26 AM
VoodooGnome
Fire Beetle

Yea, my boot5zones.bat and loginserver.ini are set up right. I've ran a server before. The problem isn't in my files, I'm like 99.9% certain that it's my router causing it. I have a D-Link DI-514 and port forwarding and DMZ allow others to use my server. However, when it's not set to localhost I get 1017.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:52 AM
Sarepean
Discordant

Edited:

If your DMZ is set up correctly and your port forwarding is set up correctly (one or the other should be set up and preferably not both), then it shouldn't be your router causing it which means that the error is either in your client version (which it can't be since you can connect when it's localhost) or in your files (which is unlikely since localhost works). Don't use the "no-ip.org" approach, go to whatismyip.com and use the IP they give you there as your external and use your network internal IP address.

Last edited by Sarepean; 06-29-2005 at 03:57 PM..
Old 06-29-2005, 08:40 AM
VoodooGnome
Fire Beetle

Currently I only have my ports forwarded, DMZ is disabled. I've tried the no-ip.org, and the ip address whatismyip.com gives me. I can't think of anything it can be other than my router. Having the ports forwarded allows others to log on, but I, trying to log in from the host computer keep getting 1017 regardless of what I try (other than using localhost that is). Think maybe I should try getting an software update for my router?

EDIT: Downloaded the latest firmware for my router, and it didn't make any difference.

Last edited by VoodooGnome; 06-29-2005 at 04:56 PM..
Old 06-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Sarepean
Discordant

They can log in, but you can't... hmmm... weird... I'm stumped.