Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 06-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Polygon_Window
Fire Beetle

Default Questions about Lag, Stability and Perfomance

Hello all

Im pretty new to EQEmu. I have now my server running under Win2k and till now, it works not bad at all. Got no problems till now, just some little bugs about zoning and some other little things that disappeared after some time
My question: I use my server and client on the same pc and i get "lag" in some way. When i cast a spell or attack something, it goes around 10 seconds until i see Damage-Texts and following. I use a 800Mhz, 1GB RAM, 128MB GC and 40GB HDD. Is it cause this machine is too slow for running server and client both?
I would be very thankful if you could help/tell me, what you think about...

PW
Old 06-14-2005, 12:19 AM
Ghost Fire
Sarnak

Yep it's your speed. 800mhz is only able to run one or the other. Other wise you get your prob.... Lag :P
Old 06-14-2005, 12:54 AM
mrea
Discordant

This may be dumb to even ask.. but could a ~300Mhz computer run the server? It would only be for like me and a few friends.

Old 06-14-2005, 01:08 AM
krusher
Sarnak

Mabye with a fully optimized version of Gentoo Linux with lots of ram. Other then that you have no chance.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:19 AM
mrea
Discordant

Would it be better to run one on the same computer I'd be playing on? (2.8 Ghz, 1GB ram)

Old 06-17-2005, 04:41 PM
Sarepean
Discordant

With an AMD Athlon XP 2200, 512 MB of RAM, and a GeForce 4 128MB AGP, I can run the server with 5 zones and play on it with 3 other people with the only real problem being a slightly longer zoning time.

With my other computer, an AMD K6-2 500Mhz, 298MB RAM, and a Voodoo 5500 64MB (I think on the MB part) slightly overclocked, I can't even play Everquest, but I can run 3 zones without too much of a problem. It just makes the computer unusable until you ALT-F4 out of them. =P

First system uses Windows XP (which I don't recommend ANYONE switching to) and the second system uses Windows 98 (much better in my opinion, just with some driver issues... mostly that no one really supports it anymore).

A 300Mhz machine, in my opinion, has very little chance of being able to run more than 1 or 2 zones well. Just my thoughts.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:28 AM
Polygon_Window
Fire Beetle

Default Run Server and Client on slow PC with no lag

I use a 800 MHZ, 1152 MB RAM and 128 MB GC
Win 2k french

I found a way to make EQEmu run on a slow PC without any lag on the same PC like the one, you play the game.

Run Minilogin.exe
Run World.exe
Run Boot5zones.bat
Open Task Manager and put the priorities of these tasks into High or Real-Time.
Start EQ

No lag anymore and the zone time is much less long.

Something strange too, stability is higher than before, i almost dont get the bug ZonePerl.exe petstruct thing anymore...
For those who use a slow PC could this be a help, if you didnt already change it.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:22 PM
mrea
Discordant

From what I gather, this is probably going to be a no, but could I run a server (private) off of a computer with only 128MB ram? It has a 2.8 Ghz processor but apparently processing power isn't everything :-p

Old 06-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Sarepean
Discordant

Yeah, but make sure it has a ton of virtual memory. It'll eat it up, but it'll be slower.