Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:18 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

Exclamation Initial setup issues: no internet, but I'm online?

So I decided to setup my server on a gaming netbook (alienware 11x whatever. plenty specs for the half dozen max players) with 7HP, 64 instead of having it share with my mediaserver.

Start the install this afternoon, at first it wouldn't do anything because I had no internet...but I did it was just dialup speed. So, I tethered to my phone to use 3g and it started going fine.

After about an hour, it disconnected, and allowed me to relaunch the installer and it continued where it left off.

AFK a couple hours, see it's frozen on same thing was doing before (one of the "this may take a few minutes" lines), and I see regular ISP has started to speed up for the night, so I swap networks. Nothing changes.

I close the window, try running the installer again, and I keep getting some error, likely because it was again saying I have no internet connection, but I could connect no problem to sites.

So, I turn off my firewall and try again, same errors.

So I delete everything in the folder and uninstall everything it DID succeed in earlier and try starting from scratch with a reboot etc. Still saying I have no internet connection, but I can connect just fine. Firewall's off so that's not an issue.

I then tried reconnecting to my phone tether in case it's my ISP or router for some reason, and still can't get the isntall going again because it says I have no internet connection. The problem was there on first attempt, but fixed on second and continued fixed on relaunch even, but then it was back and I can't fix it again.

Any ideas?
Old 03-25-2018, 12:17 AM
Tegila
Hill Giant

so I made a new account on the computer and tried the install again, this time I have internet it says...well at least I assume it does because I cant read it's going so fast....However, after 30-60seconds of text flying through the cmd prompt window (all i can make out is Installing...something....please wait, then Success! something something, skip a line and repeat) the window just closes with no interaction from me.

I checked the folder, and nothing's changed in it, no new files etc. Im running as admin of course, I just can't seem to get this installer to actually start running and get anywhere, and i know it's my isp or computer or SOMEthing, but it's not even the same issue every time, and i'm not changing anything.

update: just tried yet again. unzipped the installer folder for about the 4th time now (and 3rd different set of resulting files somehow) this time it installed maria again and c++ etc, then cant access this or that because not connected to the internet. what could possibly be stopping it from connecting when it connected earlier albeit through my phone? wont connect through phone now either.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:47 AM
Tegila
Hill Giant

still not getting anywhere here. read through all the posts in the stickied thread on the subject, and it looks like a few people on same OS (win7 HP 64) had same issue around pg 11-13 of the thread. However, the only answer was for the one using a french OS, none of the others said if they ever fixed or how.

the fix for the french OS was deleter the eqemu_server.pl which I have several times, it jsut gets replaced and i still get told I have to have an internet connection to access blah blah.

I made extra sure everything is run as admin, everything is unblocked, nothing is read-only, etc. nothing seems to work.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:12 AM
Tegila
Hill Giant

its finally working, but not on that machine, no matter what. I'm on my 3rd machine and 5th OS trying to install. Deactivated firewalls Every time said no internet, this is first time it worked. The oddest part, is this is the only OS that is not supposed to be supported by the installer: xp 64. The rest were 7 or 10 or server 64 one way or another.

My luck lol. What's supposed to work never does, last resort long shot that's not supposed to, is what does.

I'm guessing that the maps folder creation is going to take a while as I've read that's like 80% of the footprint. If not, I may have spoken too soon as it seems stuck creating maps.