Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:12 PM
spoon
Sarnak

OMG OMG OMG OMG

Code:
~ > ping www.projecteq.net
PING www.projecteq.net (66.28.184.13): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 66.28.184.13: icmp_seq=0 ttl=53 time=50 ms
64 bytes from 66.28.184.13: icmp_seq=1 ttl=53 time=50 ms
64 bytes from 66.28.184.13: icmp_seq=2 ttl=53 time=51 ms
Old 09-24-2008, 05:14 PM
jtuma007
Fire Beetle

The page just says "The new PEQ TGC EQEmu server."
Heres to hoping its a precursor to being up and not just the server guys getting tired of 404 errors =)
Old 09-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Fingel
Fire Beetle

The New server? Does that mean they are deserting the old ACless server in the messed up data farm finally? Hope its faster!
Old 09-24-2008, 06:00 PM
ghostriderdoom
Sarnak

Maybe Cavedude decided to temporarily move the server since this AC crap is talking so long. This is rediculous to have any building without A/C for 1 and 1/2 weeks if u ask me. GO GO CaveDude GO !!!!!

Whatever is happenenhing lets hope it comes up in the middle of the night so we can play in the morning
Old 09-24-2008, 09:05 PM
lindane8
Fire Beetle

Thumbs up Ca.CA.CAAA.cAPTAIN CAVEMAN!!DOOD

If you guys need help or anything from us it is cool,please caveguy keep us updated on the current status of the server and let us know whats the plans in the future/if you have anything on the current status of our great server please keep us informed , we can work it out if it is script my friends :
Old 09-24-2008, 09:42 PM
jtuma007
Fire Beetle

WOOT Homepage of projecteq.net is showing now!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Fingel
Fire Beetle

There are signs of life! We have hope once again!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Kagatob
Sarnak

Actually it looks like everything but the forums and the game server are up and I'm sure that Cavedude is either taking a well deserved rest right now, or tinkering away now that things are starting to be up and running. Either way, catering to us whiners (me included mind you) is probably low on his priority list. When he is done, we will know.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:36 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Default Bad news

Alright, so here's where we are at, and it isn't good.

When the machine came back up today, we noticed our /home directory had reverted to a state it was when this machine was first built. /home is where our website is, and where we run the game server from, along with all our of personal work directories. PEQ is setup using a mirrored array, for those familiar with drive redundancy/backup solutions. At first glance, it appeared a drive in the array failed, and the mirror failed to rebuild the data properly. Further investigation shows we have a controller that isn't responding to the kernel at all. So, without physically inspecting the machine we can conclude that either:

1. We have a bad/loose drive cable.
2. We have a drive that is so dead it is preventing the controller from working properly.
3. We have a failed controller and as such the motherboard will need to be replaced.

I'm not sure which is worse, as on one hand we need to replace a drive, and have a good chance of losing very important data. On the other, we need to replace the motherboard. Though, in that case our data may be safe, unless the controller took out the drive. Either way, replacing hardware has to wait for now.

Fathernitwit is the only team member that has physical access to the box. Unfortunately, he is going away for a month very soon. He is going to try to get to the datacenter this weekend and see about assessing the situation in person. We then have a few options for getting the game server back up in the meantime:

1. A minor problem occurred (cable came loose) FNW fixes it, we are back up to 100% (Wishful thinking, probably will not happen)
2. We have a dead drive, and FNW is able to get data off. (Not likely considering FNW's very limited time)
3. FNW disconnects the drives on the problematic controller and I manually rebuild the game server and get us back up. (We can't risk rebuilding the game server now, having the "bad" controller come back up for some reason, and destroy the old good data when the mirror updates)
4. FNW isn't able to get to the DC, or it turns out to be an issue we didn't expect. In that case, we were offered to use a server for the time being. If the offer still stands, we may have to go that route.

My goal is to get the game server up this weekend, when FNW gets to the DC. Once he returns from his trip, he and I will discuss permanent solutions, assuming it is a hardware issue.

Now, I'm sure you're all wondering what data might we lose? Well, fear not the drive our databases are stored on is healthy, and current. So, your characters, forum data (posts, etc), quest status data, player points data, etc are all safe and sound. Both FNW and I have backed all of that data up to our personal machines as well. What we might lose, is the website code. The forum code, all of our tools, editors, scripts, etc. It can be reconstructed, but it will be painful :( We also might have lost the game server directory, but that is simply a matter of uploading my server directory from my test machine, and changing a few settings. Misc internal scripts, PEQBot, and other such things that made my life easier may also be on the chopping block.

It could be much, much worse of course. But, it still sucks. I'll know more this weekend, so hold tight.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Rogean
Administrator

Thats rough news for any big server =\. Hope you guys are able to sort it out with minimal troubles and data loss.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:53 AM
brdian
Fire Beetle

something probably came loose when they droped it durring the move...
Old 09-25-2008, 08:09 AM
lindane8
Fire Beetle

Thumbs up i know

just re route the incriptions
Old 09-25-2008, 09:01 AM
ghostriderdoom
Sarnak

COME ON LOOSE CABLE !!!!! Everyone cross your fingers

.................................................. ...........................
Old 09-25-2008, 09:09 AM
spoon
Sarnak

Quote:
When the machine came back up today, we noticed our /home directory had reverted to a state it was when this machine was first built.
Are you meaning that you had mounted a partition to /home and now that partition no longer mounts so you have an empty /home directory? That would make sense if that partition was on part of the array that failed.
Quote:
At first glance, it appeared a drive in the array failed, and the mirror failed to rebuild the data properly.
It should be fairly easy to see if a drive failed right? Just check /proc/mdstat and /var/log/messages. But what do you mean it failed to rebuild the data? It sounds like you didn't replace the broken drive yet, so how would you "rebuild the data?" Did removing the broken drive from the array not work?
Code:
# mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --fail /dev/sdb0
Is that not working? Maybe thats what you mean by
Quote:
Further investigation shows we have a controller that isn't responding to the kernel at all.
Quote:
What we might lose, is the website code. The forum code, all of our tools, editors, scripts, etc. It can be reconstructed, but it will be painful ... Misc internal scripts, PEQBot, and other such things that made my life easier may also be on the chopping block.
If it does come to that, why don't you post a list of what you need and I'd be willing to try and get a couple of those items taken care of.

Thanks for all your work!
Old 09-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Fingel
Fire Beetle

What about projecteq.net/quests ? that was probably my favorite feature of PEQ. Is that one of the website parts that are going to take a lot of work to rebuild?