Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:22 AM
Darkheat
Fire Beetle

Thumbs up limit to npc spawns in nexus?

Hello all,

I chose the Nexus to be my starting zone and i have everyone popping in there. I have made some custom npcs but the problem is once I put more then 2 of the npcs in the Nexus and add their spawn to the database when ever some one goes into the nexus, the Zone.exe will crash and it will keep crashing even after restart until I manually remove the spawns from the database. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 05-12-2010, 03:33 PM
RichardoX
Hill Giant

Tell me, are you using #npcspawn create after you use #dbspawn or are you adding #npcspawn add. Create creates the npc in both the spawn tables and npc_types however, add simply adds an npc that already exists in npc_types into the various spawn tables. I've seen issues with using #npcspawn create on an npc that already exists. It SHOULD create a new entry in npc_types but I've seen it do otherwise that could cause instability.

Also, check your logs folder to perhaps see a reason why nexus zone is crashing. The most common reason why is that your database isn't up to date with the latest sql entries in the change log(s).
Old 05-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Darkheat
Fire Beetle

I admit I have been using
1. #dbspawn npcid
then I click on them and do #npcspawn add
Old 05-13-2010, 07:04 AM
Darkheat
Fire Beetle

I tried the #npcspawn create and it added it but as soon as the zone starts up again it crashs, I tested this by making the zone static with the npcs in there and when there are more then 3 custom npcs in there (made them with Georges tools and they have a gender of 2 (Monster Using Rallos Zek, Tribinal models at the moment) would that be the problem?

I even set the zone static and it crashs every 2 seconds wont even boot up.

I found out as soon as I removed them from the spawn2 table the zone stopped crashing, granted the npcs are gone but it seems that the spawn2 table is causing me the problems
Old 05-13-2010, 06:48 PM
trevius
Developer

Do you have any zones with populated NPC already that work fine? Sounds like you cleared out your tables or something to start fresh and your DB isn't matching your source code as mentioned. So, when you try to load NPCs, it crashes the zone because the fields don't match. Or maybe the NPCs you are creating are set with the incorrect info/settings.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Darkheat
Fire Beetle

Yes, all the zones have npcs I just deleted all the npcs from the nexus to make it a custom start zone and the weird thing is I can spawn 3 of my custom made npcs fine, but as soon as I spawn the 4th one it will crash every time for me, for some reason. I used George's loot/npc editor to make them and I am currently using the latest core (I update and compile the new stuff from the SVN weekly).

I also note that i checked the logs but there is no mention of any errors or anything in the logs it all looks fine so this one has me stumped because it has something to do with the npcs or spawn because I set the zone as static just to test it with 1 npc then 2 then 3 it loaded fine but as soon as I added a 4th one it started going into what I will dub as a crash loop.

Last edited by Darkheat; 05-13-2010 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: fixed typos
Old 05-14-2010, 07:59 AM
Darkheat
Fire Beetle

I got the zone to stop crashing, apparently it is caused by a custom item I made and that my npc handed out and I narrowed it down to my Stone of Darkness. which is used for my pvp npc. For some reason it is just this item that causes it to crash once i remove item from database it loads fine with the npcs.

item stats and information

and here is the code for the pvp npc (I know it is wrong place but it fits in with the problem)
Code:
##################
##say link Variables######

my $shackles = quest::saylink("shackles", 0, "shackles");
my $Darkside = quest::saylink("Darkside", 0, "Darkside");
my $artifact = quest::varlink(1118);

##################

sub EVENT_SAY {
if($text=~/Hail/i){
quest::emote("turns his icy stare on you and his thoughts invade your mind!");
plugin::Whisper("Greetings $name. I can tell by the $shackles in your inventory that you are bound by the light.");}
if($text=~/shackles/i){
plugin::Whisper("Being bound to the light is like being enslaved in shackles. Yes you are protected but you are not free to live dangerously and experience everything that goes bump in the night! but alas, I can sense that you might want to join the $Darkside");}
 if($text=~/Darkside/i)
 {
 quest::emote("Nods his head");
plugin::Whisper("Yes, If you wish to join the dark side and be free, just hand me those shackles in your inventory and I will free you from your bondage");

}
}
sub EVENT_ITEM
{
if  ($itemcount{1096} == 1)
  {
quest::emote("Takes the shackles from your inventory and uses his power to drain all the light from them leaving you with a.... $artifact in your hands");  
plugin::Whisper("I welcome you to the Darkside $name! Remember, there are strange things that go bump in the night and now that you walk in Darkness, you no longer have the light watching over you. Be careful, other people also walk in the dark and they aren't afraid to mug you and steal all your money. Yes, they can steal your money but NOT your items that you wear so beware!");
  quest::pvp ("on");
  quest::summonitem(1118);
plugin::Whisper("Keep this stone of Darkness in your bank $name because if you ever become AFRAID of the dark and wish to see the light again just hand the stone back to me and I will once again enslave you in the bondage of light.");
}
if  ($itemcount{1118} == 1)
{
quest::emote("Takes the $artifact from your hands and once again uses his mighty force to break open the stone and reforms the shackles of light and slips them over your wrists");  
plugin::Whisper("Hah, I knew you couldn't handle it $name, You make me sick! Leave my sight at once and don't come back unless you want to join the darkside again");
quest::emote("Points to the exit");
quest::say("Begone $name follower of light, come back when you grow a pair and want to try the darkside again!");
quest::summonitem(1096);
quest::pvp("off");
  }
}
Old 05-14-2010, 05:05 PM
trevius
Developer

The problem is probably with your quest, not the item itself. You may want to move your saylinks and varlink inside of EVENT_SAY.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:03 AM
Darkheat
Fire Beetle

That seemed to be the problem hard to believe that one little thing could cause the whole zone to crash every time. I thank you for your patients and help through the whole ordeal also!