Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 07-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Neiv
Hill Giant

Default The treachery of the grail

While I'm getting clarification from Striat on some of his script, I thought I'd get some ideas for another function I'm trying to accomplish.

First, some background. In my "kingdom" world, according to which all players who share faction with the kingdom that possesses a "holy grail" type item enjoy a boost in stats while their king has the grail, the object of the game is to coordinate players within your own faction to raid that kingdom and try to take back the "grail" and turn it in to your own king. However, some players may not cooperate and may try to keep the grail for themselves. To discourage this I would like to make it such that the "grail bearer" places himself in great danger as long as he holds the grail. Here are my ideas for this:

Once the raiding faction kills all guards in the kingdom, they make their way to the Keep where the captain of the guard walks a grid guarding the entry way into the Keep. Upon killing him, a player loots an item from the captain, takes it to the king inside the keep, and hands it in as proof that his kingdom has been defeated. The king then gives the player the "holy grail," along with a stern warning that the grail will be his demise. (All of this is already in the script and works well).

I would now like to make it so that the player who has the grail . . .

1. is immediately flagged pvp so that other players can kill him and take the grail if they find him--the pvp flag is removed only when he no longer possesses the grail,

2. can turn invisible by equipping the grail, hence avoiding other players who may be seeking his life (I would also like the equipped item to produce negative stats, but I think I can do that in Item Editor),

3. but while invisible immediately attracts all npcs in the zone who are opposite factions to him--if npcs find him and kill him, the grail immediately goes to the king of their faction.

What's the best quest script for each of these? I'm particularly interested in #3. Will a script that contains a quest::signal and quest::moveto, combined with a variable defining my $location work? I realize the npcs would be walking, not aggroing until they get within aggro range, but that's okay. If I can get npcs of other factions to move to the grail bearer upon obtaining the grail and upon entering any zone, so that they eventually attack, that would be ideal.

Any suggestions?