Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:09 AM
lord_aiden
Sarnak

Unhappy Winter's Roar served a Cease and Desist Order.

Winter's Roar has been issued a Cease & Desist order by a yet unknown regulatory agency today.

What this means: Winter's roar is down. Indefinatly. Now that there has been some precedence by Blizzard being able to shut down the WoW Emulator, Sony's grown some balls and hopes to accomplish the same with WR, and perhaps even the EQEmu project in itself.

IRC CHat is on #wr (moderated now for announcements on the status of WR) and #wrchat for the general chat.

I wish there was something I can do to support WR more.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:14 AM
Traul
Hill Giant

It's a black day for gaming. :(
Old 06-27-2005, 11:06 AM
yuckfoo
Fire Beetle

what would happen if WR didnt Cease and Desist? i hope nobody takes offence to me saying Fuck SOE.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:29 AM
solid11
Discordant

I suppose just take down the site, yeah that would suck for all the work they put into it, and make it sorta on the down-low and run it privately. Would have to revert back to the darkages and email everyone about changes or IRC. Alot of word-of-mouth getting around. Would be a pain, but if you want to keep it up, I guess sony will make it as hard as possible to do it. F$$K Sony. I just canceled my EQ2 account and if I didn't need to do some collecting, my EQ account would be closed too.

My prediction, within 5 years (or less), EQ will be in the toilet both for player population and gameplay, and will be selling an at-home version for $19.95. There will be maybe 10 servers open, and they'll hope the at-home versions will give them a last minute boost of revenue before dropping EQ all together. Yeah right, now I'm dreaming...
Old 06-27-2005, 12:52 PM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default hmmm

Not only wr but the peer to peer people got voted off the island also.
it's not looking good what the future is going to be like..
things are looking dark indeed...

www.cheaterz.info
Old 06-27-2005, 12:58 PM
Shazzel
Fire Beetle

They cant stop P2P , they can shut one company down but another will just pop up. Doesnt matter what the supreme court says really.

As for WR, any word on when it will be back up?
Old 06-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Dr Zauis
I know how to fix that!

It appears to me no one was really "Shut Down". It seems they volunteered
to shut down under threat. Maybe they just got too big. Maybe its better to have the whole mess decentralized if that would even be possible. That way if one person decides to shut down then things keep going as normal..If the BigWigs have to start 100 lawsuits just to even make a dent then it probably wont be worth it to them..The only thing that worries me personally is that at this point I have no ability to make my own tools or a login server program to set something up if everything finally goes awash..I could care less about lawsuits.
This is sorta like the History of TombRaider. People wanted to make thier own levels so they started making programs to do so. Eidos got mad and started sending threatening letters to everyone. But it just made people mad and the people worked harder to teach Eidos a lesson. Now you can find 100s if not many 100s of tools to create your own levels. Eidos even gave in and released thier own level editor..Wich is to put it mildly, junk!
I dare say Eidos is making more money now that poeple are buying the old games to extract the models/objects/music from them to use in homemade levels. I even buy the old games just to give them away to promote TR.
If there were no custom levels out there I would never buy those games again.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:22 AM
Aonelyn
Hill Giant

quick, everyone throw away there ps2s, and no one buy a ps3. =D buy xbox 360
Old 07-19-2005, 01:34 AM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Zauis
It appears to me no one was really "Shut Down". It seems they volunteered
to shut down under threat. Maybe they just got too big. Maybe its better to have the whole mess decentralized if that would even be possible. That way if one person decides to shut down then things keep going as normal..If the BigWigs have to start 100 lawsuits just to even make a dent then it probably wont be worth it to them..The only thing that worries me personally is that at this point I have no ability to make my own tools or a login server program to set something up if everything finally goes awash..I could care less about lawsuits.
This is sorta like the History of TombRaider. People wanted to make thier own levels so they started making programs to do so. Eidos got mad and started sending threatening letters to everyone. But it just made people mad and the people worked harder to teach Eidos a lesson. Now you can find 100s if not many 100s of tools to create your own levels. Eidos even gave in and released thier own level editor..Wich is to put it mildly, junk!
I dare say Eidos is making more money now that poeple are buying the old games to extract the models/objects/music from them to use in homemade levels. I even buy the old games just to give them away to promote TR.
If there were no custom levels out there I would never buy those games again.

YOU STILL PLAY TombRaider ?
LOL...
let me show you some real fun .... ZORK 1,2,3 and Planetfall.

www.cheaterz.info
Old 07-27-2005, 01:41 AM
gottasummer
Discordant

It isnt like anyone here stole anything from SOE... they had a program, it was disassembeled or something, and people play.... I ONLY play on Emu when I pay for my SOE subscription, or else it seems like stealing to me.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:58 AM
Dr Zauis
I know how to fix that!

"YOU STILL PLAY TombRaider ?
LOL..."

Yes! And apparently so do many others!
Over 1000 custom levels here
http://www.trle.net/
And that dont include the ones made with the unnoficial level editor.
100s of custom objects MOBs meshes here
http://www.trsearch.silentviper.net/

And these are just 2 of the most popular sites!
And some of these homemade worlds are nothing to sneaze at! Basicly if I were to make a level that looked like an Everquest zone I would be rated as a total newbie! Probably laughed at!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:14 PM
Tvrell
Fire Beetle

Default Wiz lives in Europe,,, right?

If Wiz lives in Europe (as shown by how we pay our subscription in EuroDollars) then why cant the servers just be shipped over there to him? All server maintenance can be done by remote.

Does SOE have a European office that can also serve a CaD order? :evil: