Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:57 PM
hexluther
Fire Beetle

Default Confused..

but perhaps I'm simply over analyzing things here..

So I've just recently began my endeavor in becoming an EQEmu server op and as a consequence, learning the aspects of Perl, XML, SQL, etc.

Most things concerned, it all seems pretty straight forward to me with the exception of one thing:

The databases, Perl scripts, etc. from an updated EQEmu "release" stand-point.

Modifying the databases, perl scripts, etc. I get, it only makes sense.. but what I'm confused about is, when there is an update to EQEmu, how does a server op go about updating to the latest version (which may very well include new fields in databases, redefined field types, etc.) without breaking their servers? (or better stated, without losing all changes they made to the databases, Perl scripts, etc.)

In my ignorance, I'm under the impression that a server op will have to know every single such change so that they can manually implement changes to spells, items, etc. as Im thinking the latter is rewriting (i.e. updating) their databases. Surely server ops don't overwrite all their changes only to make such changes manually again. What am I missing out on here? I cannot even compose my question properly (or it sure feels that way) due to my sheer ignorance and discomfort with it all.

I try like heck to search and put forth effort before seeking out answers to questions from others, or I like to think that I do... but, honestly, with this question, I'd have no idea what to -search- for, much less know what search criteria to apply as I'm simply that ignorant. It's an awful feeling. I don't expect to know everything EQEmu in a day, much less a few months or even in the hopeful years to come -- but wow, if you could help me with this one hurdle, it would most certainly bump up my motivation factor a good bit.

Any and all assistance you may have time to give, is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:30 PM
bad_captain
Developer

Script out all changes made to your database. When a new version is released, simply re-run your custom script to source in all of your changes. Perl changes may be more of a hassle, but you would likely just need to merge in changes from the svn (should do most of it automatically, but you would need to manually resolve conflicts). In reality, this should be done anyway, as manually changing values in live databases is not a good practice to get into.

Or, if you feel comfortable, run updates as they occur and merge them in with your changes. This is problematic when PEQ releases a new version of their DB with new npcs, items, etc.