Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > OpenEQ > OpenEQ::Development

OpenEQ::Development Development discussion for OpenEQ. Do not post for support.

Old 12-18-2004, 06:20 AM
daeken_bb
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb
That seems to be the way to go to me.
Having empty zones you could walk around in and at least render the other players as a red cube and let you chat to them would be a good milestone that would show nice progress to people too
Agreed.

Anyway, need to get some christmas shopping done, so I'll see you all later

Check out my deviantART page at http://daeken.deviantart.com/
Old 12-18-2004, 06:46 AM
MOG
Fire Beetle

Happy shopping, hoho.

Have you considered using the Ogre engine? It does real nice skeletal animations. I would suggest using Ogre instead of reinventing the wheel. http://www.ogre3d.org It would take away a lot of the hard work so you could concentrate on other aspects of the logic. Ogre is also good for GUI functionality.
For networking, I would strongly recommend HawkNL
( http://www.hawksoft.com/hawknl/ ). It's fairly low level sockets programming there. Crossplatform (the way I like it).
From the site:

Quote:
HawkNL is a free, open source, game oriented network API released under the GNU Library General Public License (LGPL). HawkNL (NL) is a fairly low level API, a wrapper over Berkeley/Unix Sockets and Winsock. But NL also provides other features including support for many OSs, groups of sockets, socket statistics, high accuracy timer, CRC functions, macros to read and write data to packets with endian conversion, and support for multiple network transports. NL has been tested on Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP/CE, Linux, Solaris, IRIX, AIX, BSDs, MacOS 7-9 and MacOS X.
It would make sense to "twist" these in since you are already using SDL. You could save a lot of time.

MOG
Old 12-18-2004, 06:53 AM
MOG
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb
That seems to be the way to go to me.
Having empty zones you could walk around in and at least render the other players as a red cube and let you chat to them would be a good milestone that would show nice progress to people too
I am thinking that with Ogre he could jump into the nitty-gritty skelatal animations a lot faster, maybe even bypassing the cube phase.
What is the status on reverse engineering the character animation files? I'll read more in this forum to find out. But it seems to me it could be quite similar to .NIF files used by NetImmerse-based games (Morrowind, DAoC).
Is there a way to import EQ meshes into 3DsMax or Lightwave?
At any rate, I look forward to see his next step.

MOG
Old 12-18-2004, 06:56 AM
jbb
Hill Giant

Personally I'd use Ogre it seems nice.
But it's not my project

And getting the data into the format it needs is not trivial anyway.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:15 AM
jbb
Hill Giant

One more thing -
It seems that the changes I made to change main to WinMain are uncecssary as SDL on windows comes with a library "sdlmain.lib" which if you like with it contains a WinMain which calls the standard main function.
That's better for portability