Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:49 PM
KLS
Administrator

That's not entirely true, if you distribute object code(ie compiled program) from the work you're subject to distribute both verbatim and modified source copies of the code if someone requests it. So in a sense it would require someone to release the code in that situation, in this situation they clearly didn't do that however.

Of course the GPL also allows anyone who receives the source code to also distribute the source code, and bars further limitations being placed on that distribution. So anyone who in this case: 'EQC's Dev Team with source access' was completely within their rights to further distribute the entire source with or without the permission of the other people in the team. It may "suck" but it's the tradeoff you make when using GPL code, it's only closed source as long as everyone in your team wants it to be.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Wesell
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
That's not entirely true,[...]
Well since this is already a pretty silly thread I'll respond. What I said was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesell View Post
Uh, the GPL doesn't require EQC or anyone to distribute their work. It only describes what will happen if they do.
That statement is entirely true. You've mentally replace "work" with "source code". The word "work" is even specifically used in the license in the way same way that I used it in my statement. I'm not aware of anyone who uses the word "work" to refer specifically to source code.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:22 PM
KLS
Administrator

Quoted from:
Quote:
SoE wanting or using GPL code is as outlandish as a derivative work of a GPL project withholding source code. No, actually it's far less, but still crazy.
I was using your own implied definition of work based off what you were quoting from. Sorry if there was any confusion but it's not that difficult an assumption to make based on the way you worded it.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:27 PM
KLS
Administrator

Also, I'm going to lock this thread because I don't think it's going anywhere up from here. It has been devolving into nothing but pointless arguing even if it's relatively civil for some time.
Closed Thread