Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:03 AM
cubber
Discordant

Default Everquest Titanium and Wine?

Is it possible to run the Titanium client under wine in linux?

edit: question was answered via IRC, need cedega.

Last edited by cubber; 10-02-2006 at 01:14 PM..
Old 10-12-2006, 01:10 AM
RexChaos
Dragon

Cedega is flakey right now also. EQT doesn't seem to like it very much... I had to actually install a dual boot to get it running...only have windows for EQ basically.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:16 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexChaos
Cedega is flakey right now also. EQT doesn't seem to like it very much... I had to actually install a dual boot to get it running...only have windows for EQ basically.
I use Everquest and Cedega fine and have been for years now - if anyone needs help in this area, just post what your problem is.

Needless to say, after getting over being pissed at my Mandriva 2007, I went back to it and resolved most of my issues. Mandriva 2007 is not that bad, just is very new and a lot of source programs don't compile easy and right away.

You should post Linux issues in the Linux forum though
Old 10-12-2006, 03:13 AM
ndnet
Hill Giant

The game client under Cedega is fairly stable in my experience. I've had a couple of instances where it crashed during zoning, all seemingly related to me not leaving the window in the foreground and even being on another desktop while it tried to start 3d rendering.

Your choice, though, ultimately. I don't play EQ so much as like to tinker with the source and test changes, for which Linux is just preferable to me.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:15 PM
narcberry
Sarnak

I tried using wine today and I encountered two problems. (1) Everything was rendered upside-down. It was really hard to click on things because you still had to click where they should be on screen, only they were vertically mirrored. (2) My z-buffer was messed up. So the furthest objects were rendered in front of closer objects. All models had eyes popping out of their heads, teeth in front of their mouths. Water boxes were jumping at me and if I stopped moving the skybox is all I could see.

Some screenshots for fun, these are on KingMorts RA server:

www.jocoberry.com/images/eqwine1.png
www.jocoberry.com/images/eqwine2.png
www.jocoberry.com/images/eqwine3.png
www.jocoberry.com/images/eqwine4.png

As far as Cedega, I haven't tried it out but people are saying it doesn't run eq anymore... The woes of enjoying a game for too long, we're all supposed to be playing WoW you know.

If anyone has success running eq on Linux or Unix, please spill your juicy secrets.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:26 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

I use Cedega to run EQ, it may not run Live client (not sure, I haven't tried) but our client works fine as it has been preserved over the Cedega builds. There is no trick, just use the newest version and run it. If you get texture problems (I did) just toggle the settings until you find something that looks right.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:40 AM
Bishop4351
Sarnak

I've used Cedega for Live and EMulation and both worked fine. I will note that it was a bit slower than running on my XP machine.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:25 AM
narcberry
Sarnak

Cool, I thought Cedega didn't run it anymore. Thanks for the info, I'll give it a go.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:07 AM
IslandOfToys
Fire Beetle

I've tried the latest version of Cedega (as of yesterday) in addition to the latest version of wine (0.9.58 I think?) and neither works. :(

Both "sort of" work, but they're not playable.

I'm running Ubuntu Linux 64 bit 7.10 with an AMD 2Ghz Dual Core X2, 4GB Ram, 256MB Nvidia 8600GT

Both Cedega and Wine will start the exe and I can get to the login screen.

I actually logged into the game with both as well, but there's problems with the models being invisible. I read another post about that and it mentioned changing the pixel shader to 1.3. I've been trying with a LOT of different combinations of pixel shaders and vertex shaders both in the eqclient.ini as well as setting them in Cedega and Wine.

The best I got was seeing all the models in game, but they had no animations. Everyone was "ice skating" around.

One other thing I noticed was that the game would freeze up in Cedega if I changed options from the menu, but I could change options from the menu using Wine.

When the game starts with Wine the mouse is frozen to the center of the screen if playing full screen, but works okay if in a window.

The mouse works fine in Cedega.

If someone successfully uses Cedega or Wine currently, would you be willing to share your eqclient.ini text file settings? Knowing the proper setup in that file would mean I could just tinker with settings in Cedega and Wine and not wonder about the client.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:13 AM
IslandOfToys
Fire Beetle

Can a mod delete my reply here? I found this thread via search and didn't realize it was in "General" instead of support. I'll start a separate topic under the appropriate sub-forum.