Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2018, 05:28 PM
revan553
Fire Beetle

Default Install Issue: World starts in Down status

Hi everyone,

I used to play with EQEmu a lot several many ago (around the 2009 timeframe or so). I just recently got the urge to setup my own private server for internal use (i.e. not exposing anything to the internet) and am trying to do a fresh install. I see many things have evolved since the last time I looked at EQEmu (for one, MiniLogin appears to be no more) so it took me a bit to get a feel for the new state of things but I think I have it down for the most part. However, I’m still having issues getting my install working.

I have everything installed and all of the EXE processes load just like I remember they used to, but as soon as I login with the EQ Client (SoD) I see my server but it's always in a Down state. The logging output from the LoginServer process indicates the client connected and authenticated properly, though an earlier log message indicates my World server “didn't attempt to login but unregistered clients are allowed.” No matter what I try I can't get past this step, after multiple attempts at a fresh install and configure.

For every install I've attempted, I'm using VirtualBox to create a VM for the EQEmu server and all related parts. I've tried doing the install in the following ways:

1. Windows 10 x64, build EQEmu from source, using XAMPP to install perl
2. Windows 10 x64, build EQEmu from source, installing perl directly via perl installer
3. Windows 10 x64, using the Windows installer found here - https://github.com/EQEmu/Server#-windows
4. Windows 10 x86, build EQEmu from source, installing perl directly via perl installer
5. Windows 7 x64, build EQEmu from source, installing perl directly via perl installer
6. Windows 7 x86, build EQEmu from source, installing perl directly via perl installer

Build notes:

* For each attempt I built a new VM Guest from scratch and installed the OS fresh.
* For each dependency I've worked to install the exact version of each component as specified in the Windows install guide (ActivePerl 5.12.3.1.1204, MySQL 5.1.73).
* I tried both 64 and 32 bit versions of both Windows 10 and 7 to rule out any issues due to Windows version or the CPU architecture.
* The host machine is an Intel core i7 2600 setup with 32GB RAM and SSD storage for host and guest. Not the latest and greatest but more than powerful enough to host a server
* The VM Guest is connected to the Host via the "Bridged Network" option in VirtualBox, which means it is seen as another device by my home router and gets its own IP address and can communicate with other devices outside the host.
* I've disabled Windows Firewall on the guest to prevent access issues, and confirmed via ping that the guest can communicate with the host over IPv4, and the host can do the same with the guest.

I've dug through the various config files trying various things and nothing resolves it. The only thing I have yet to try is installing directly on the host and not using a VM at all but I'd really prefer not to. My machine already has a bunch of software installed that I use for work so I was hoping to keep everything within a VM (except for the EQ Client of course) to keep everything nicely segregated.

Resources used to perform the build process:

• Windows Install guide on wiki (http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Complet...Guide&frm=Main)
• Private Login Server setup guide (http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Windows...Guide&frm=Main)

I’ve probably spent 15 hours or so on this throughout the last 2 weeks trying to get it working and I’m really out of ideas at this point. Hoping that someone here with more knowledge of the server can determine the problem as it feels like there’s probably something simple that I’m just missing. I will attach my configuration files for review but please let me know if you need anything else.

Appreciate any help anyone can offer

P.S. For background, I’m a professional software engineer by day (13 years’ experience) so none of these technologies (C++, perl, MySQL) are foreign to me. It’s been about 10 years since I touched C++ or perl on a regular basis so I’m a bit rusty on those, but I can follow the source code fairly well to see what it’s doing.