Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Bugs

Archive::Bugs Archive area for Bugs's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 08-01-2004, 01:48 PM
sotonin
Demi-God

Default Memory Read : Bug ???

OK, i've had this annoying error for about as long as i can remember. since dr5 or so. and i't s getting worse and worse.

At server select, you select a server and click play everquest.

Then it thinks for a few seconds and pops up a Memory Read Error

The Instruction at "0x0057e085" referenced memory at "0x00000008". The Memory cannot be "read".

I can log in and play just fine some days. other days it does this NONSTOP and i cannot get in. it's annoying the piss out of me.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:56 PM
jd255
Fire Beetle

hmm not sure...close all not needed programs and programs like macroquest a out of date memchecker code can do that but most of the time it would be sooner then that
Old 08-01-2004, 01:58 PM
sotonin
Demi-God

i've closed everything i possibly can (
Old 08-04-2004, 01:38 PM
Tangeleno
Sarnak

I have this problem at times also. Usually a reboot fixes it until it happens again.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:18 AM
zelgar
Fire Beetle

To me, it sounds like an actual RAM issue, best bet, pull it out, and reseat it. If that doesn't fix it, you have a couple options: deal with it (reboot when it happens, cold boot is preferable), buy new RAM (costly), or disable blocks of RAM via CMOS/BIOS (if the BIOS supports it).

Quote:
I have this problem at times also. Usually a reboot fixes it until it happens again.
The reason a reboot fixes this problem, is because RAM is volitile memory. You reboot, and it flushes it. I suggest cold boot, and keep the system shut down for 2 to 3 minutes to ensure that all RAM segments are cleared.

Admin of Dark Rifts (MUD)
darkrifts.org port 5000
Old 08-05-2004, 09:23 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

My ram is fine. i recently ran some mem checks on it and it's all name brand high quality DDR ram.

The issue is the sony client. nothing more )
Old 08-05-2004, 11:29 AM
kathgar
Discordant

No, read() is a function used for sockets. It is trying to read from an invalid socket.