Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 10-10-2005, 02:46 AM
Damilis
Hill Giant

Default .pl file placement

Last night I spawned an NPC in freporte who normally spawns in ecommons. I had already copied his .pl file from /quests/ecommons to /quests/freporte.
Quest didn't work in freporte. I zoned, thinking that it may need to reload the quests, still no worky.

So my first question is this, does the Emu reference the Spawn2 table to get the correct "Zone" for an NPC_type.ID entry, then lookup the quest in the "Zone's" folder? --- Aka, if there are Spawn2 entries for 'A_rodent' only in commons and ecommon, then even if you have 'A_rodent.pl' in all the other /quests/zone/ folders, the quests wont work unless you are in commons or ecommons?

Q#2: if there are multiple NPCs with the same name but different Npc_type.ID's, how does the Emu know to use different .pl's?

**Moderately confused.**

At work now otherwise I would test this out by adding a Spawn2 entry... just seeing if anyone knows offhand.

Last edited by Damilis; 10-10-2005 at 08:20 PM..
Old 10-11-2005, 04:52 AM
Damilis
Hill Giant

Default Pros/Cons

Can anyone think of Pros and Cons of putting all quests into /quests/default.pl ? Will it drastically affect load times/quest execution times?
Old 10-14-2005, 10:52 AM
mystic414
Hill Giant

It doesn't check the spawn table to see what zone the mob is "supposed" to be in. Otherwise mobs that don't spawn naturally (i.e. are spawned as part of a quest) would never have a working quest file (and I know for a fact that you can give such npcs working quests).

If you have npcs in the same zone with the same name who need different quest files based upon their npcid, name the file npcid.pl. The name.pl format is optional.

As for why it didn't work when you moved an npc and quest file from one zone to another, i don't know. Its likely your quests weren't reloaded when you zoned, though. Next time when you need to reload quests, issue a #reloadpl command instead of zoning.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:10 AM
Damilis
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic414
It doesn't check the spawn table to see what zone the mob is "supposed" to be in. Otherwise mobs that don't spawn naturally (i.e. are spawned as part of a quest) would never have a working quest file (and I know for a fact that you can give such npcs working quests).

If you have npcs in the same zone with the same name who need different quest files based upon their npcid, name the file npcid.pl. The name.pl format is optional.

As for why it didn't work when you moved an npc and quest file from one zone to another, i don't know. Its likely your quests weren't reloaded when you zoned, though. Next time when you need to reload quests, issue a #reloadpl command instead of zoning.
Well its good to hear that i was doing at least ONE thing correct. Sounds like the ol server needs a swift "boot to the head". Thanks Mystic.