Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:46 PM
Threegunzo
Fire Beetle

Default Chronicles of Norrath

RIP - it was fun while it lasted
Old 02-23-2019, 06:37 PM
Grey_Seer
Fire Beetle

A pity, I played on it for a couple of months a few years back and often considered returning to pick up where I left off. It was a really good server with a very dedicated GM. He should have done some more PR for it though, as it never really got close to the population it deserved. Oh well, nothing lasts forever.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:27 AM
provocating
Demi-God

The problem was the population, non-existent. And when you try to post something regarding any server on the forums it seems to just get bashed into the ground with hate.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:39 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocating View Post
And when you try to post something regarding any server on the forums it seems to just get bashed into the ground with hate.
The source may live on in this project, but the "community spirit" has deteriorated. What you mentioned is probably one of the many factors that have contributed to it. Intense negativity and hate, freely sprinkled all over these forums and obviously, nobody has (ever) had the time to enforce the forum rules, and in some cases. no desire to. Almost like it's condoned, more than frowned upon. Simple constructive criticism and feedback has been replaced with competitive server bashing that gets passed off as opinions. Cheeks are turned the other way.
In the end, the inmates have been left to run the institution. It's become infested with introverted selfishness, with no fun, laughter or enjoyment anymore, which defeats the whole purpose of a gaming community. The soil in the community garden is too contaminated with bad seeds to let anything grow now. Maybe some day, Patrick Swayze will come swooping down to "clean up the roadhouse". But I wouldn't hold my breath.
I know, I sound negative myself, but sorry, I deal with reality and facts. We don't live in a "just shut up and play nice" Disneyland world, we live in a very unforgiving, "FU" Jurassic Park and these forums alone are "PVP" lol
Old 03-18-2019, 04:46 PM
provocating
Demi-God

I poured what seemed like endless hours in my servers for many years. I am better off coding on other projects now to keep myself entertained. I really wish things would had ended differently but that is how it goes.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:29 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Edit: Nevermind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huppy View Post
nobody has (ever) had the time to enforce the forum rules, and in some cases. no desire to.
I think the issue is 1) the forum is admin'd by developers who are all busy, never mind manage forums (forums are usually moderated by volunteers in the community with the admins keeping check), and 2) a lot of content has moved to discord, which is fine, but discord is a horrible place for data retention and flow of information.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:36 AM
provocating
Demi-God

And posting a meme like that is what is wrong here. Was that in the least bit necessary? Unless I misread the guy of course. This community could be so much more if trolling like this was eliminated. There are plenty of members like me that stay away and no longer contribute on the forums because of people just like the above poster. As another poster recently said, I will check back in 6 months to a year and see if things have changed here, until then l8r.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:44 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
And posting a meme like that is what is wrong here. Was that in the least bit necessary? Unless I misread the guy of course. This community could be so much more if trolling like this was eliminated. There are plenty of members like me that stay away and no longer contribute on the forums because of people just like the above poster. As another poster recently said, I will check back in 6 months to a year and see if things have changed here, until then l8r.
I had a nice reply typed up, reminding you how we go way back, but decided to delete it and say fuck it. Maybe you should take a break.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:48 AM
Sturm
Hill Giant

Quote:
And when you try to post something regarding any server on the forums it seems to just get bashed into the ground with hate.
This is a very real problem on this forum and the reason I don't post much for updates on what is happening on my own server. A select few individuals feel they've "earned" the right to behave horribly and treat other's with disdain and disrespect. If this was my forum, these toxic individuals would have been banned long ago (like they have been on my server).

Instead, they are allowed to continue spewing their drivel and negative comments further seeding the growth of separation and discord among the community.

I'm sorry to see another server come down and I wish you well in all your future endeavors provocating. Maybe we'll get a forum mod that gives a shit one day and puts an end to these toxic assholes. (Not calling anyone out here, just saying that doing nothing might be part of the problem.)

My apologies for my semi-toxic rant/post. I'm usually more reserved but this topic strikes a cord for me.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:58 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Provocating has done so much work for Chronicles.

The boat system alone was amazing and intuitive.

Sucks to see you bring it down :(

Wish you luck in all future endeavors.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:53 PM
Grey_Seer
Fire Beetle

Quote:
The problem was the population, non-existent. And when you try to post something regarding any server on the forums it seems to just get bashed into the ground with hate.
I never really frequented this forum at all(now or then), but I am nevertheless sorry to hear that this is the state it is in. CoN can't be the only server suffering from the all the bad that undoubtedly comes from such a toxic environment.

However, I was also more thinking about the lack of promotion of your CoN server on more mainstream venues with EQ related segments (Facebook, Reddit, Official EQ Forums etc.). Many people playing on live servers barely even have a clue that there exists emulated EQ servers - let alone know the names of any of the servers or what they are actually offering (this even includes P99).

Anyway, I wish you the best and urge you to keep all the good work you did with CoN on multiple backups. You never know what opportunities or personal inclinations the future might bring.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:59 AM
Splose
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Seer View Post
Anyway, I wish you the best and urge you to keep all the good work you did with CoN on multiple backups. You never know what opportunities or personal inclinations the future might bring.
Great advice right here.

Just because you are burnt out right now doesn't mean you will be in a few months, year from now, etc. It seems the trend atm are these classic-"ish" progression servers. The population of players actually playing on these servers that pop up tend to be the same people that just jump around to every server when theres new content. I think once live finally starts to die down whenever that may be you will see a huge influx of new people. You had a very unique vision, I think that Grey was right about the marketing outside of EQEMU.

Always fun to work on a project and keep it private as well just to get your creativity out. You never know someday you may want to release it again.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:32 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post
Provocating has done so much work for Chronicles.

The boat system alone was amazing and intuitive.
I am curious - how did the boats worked? What was special?
Old 03-25-2019, 04:45 PM
rudeboy88
Sarnak

Seemed like you were doing solid work on a couple progression-related things at different points Provocating (GoD-specific spells iirc maybe?), and seeing that go is sad, especially cause boats :(.

Side note: does anyone feel like this forum could use a progression subforum these days? I have snippets I would copy to the eqemu pastebin but seems like you can't sign up for it or something.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:00 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboy88 View Post
Side note: does anyone feel like this forum could use a progression subforum these days? I have snippets I would copy to the eqemu pastebin but seems like you can't sign up for it or something.
If you wanna support anything progression related I highly suggest checking out project-peq-expansions on the EQEmu discord.