Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:22 AM
solid11
Discordant

Default Yet another expansion...sigh

For those that care, me, EQ jumped the shark about 6 expansions ago. Sad.

http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/index.vm
Old 01-23-2007, 08:33 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

lol, jump the shark...

Buried Sea (or whatever it's called) sounds kinda interesting. Not sure I am willing to pay them anymore money, but I'd almost like to see how "ship to ship combat" is going to work without boats.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Well, the problem is, I never really got to enjoy the other expansions that I paid for, then SOE donned them useless with their newer expansions.
If we could ever set some standards to stuff like plat in our eqemu, items we have would always be of value.
Right now, we get everything "thrown" at us, so drops are not of much value to us in eqemu either.
The more higher-level expansions we bring to eqemu, the more worthless we make what zones we have now.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:46 AM
sfisque
Hill Giant

to be honest, i have to say, there never was an expansion that lived up to Velious. they really dropped the ball after that one. PoP was "ok" and luclin has some nice graphics/models, but man velious was the whole thing: great quests, factions that made sense, really well done armor sets, well crafted zones. but thats just me.

== sfisquee
Old 01-23-2007, 11:35 AM
solid11
Discordant

I'm with you on velious. I really liked the way PoP worked though with the zone flagging but PoP was the last that I liked that way. With the new exp coming out next month, that means there will be another around september/october, sigh again, I feel sorry when someone has to wipe their pc and needs to reinstall 8 Gigs worth of data....wooooo. I hear the next package release will be on blu-ray.....HAHA....j.k.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:10 AM
CrabClaw
Hill Giant

Gad, another x-pac? Ship to ship combat?

When I seen the revamps Freeport and other new zones they did first hand, I had an overwhelming feeling the work would have been better spent on a new "EQ1.5 Online Adventures" game than expanding the dead horse. It would be wonderful to see a re-done version of the old world, but with a fresh start maybe even with some new twists on gameplay (kind of like what EQ2 did by focusing the game around Qeynos vs. Freeport at the start).

The problem is most of the over-twinked, level-capped, players skip all the wonderfully redesigned ghost towns.

:P
Old 01-25-2007, 02:04 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabClaw
The problem is most of the over-twinked, level-capped, players skip all the wonderfully redesigned ghost towns.
Exactly what killed the game for me. As a mid-level guild leader, it became totally impossible to recruit and hold on to anyone who wasn't a personal friend IRL for more than 2 weeks. Every level 5 character recruited wanted to be PL'd, twinked, and when that didn't happen, they left for "an uber guild" soon as they were of level.

It's my opinion that EQLive does not suck. The players do.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:48 PM
sfisque
Hill Giant

even thats not a fair assessment, because there are alot of great players... mixed in with the kruft.

i'm of the mindset that EQLive suffers from population density. when you only have 20-30 people on a server, the assholes/jerks/babies quickly learn they have nowhere to hide. when you're surrounded by thousands of other toons, its easy to hide for a while and "just get by".

what they should have done was cap a server at a max "N" number of toons. after that, they should have just locked the server and created a new one for overflow.

/shrug.

== sfisque
Old 01-26-2007, 07:19 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Of course you are right, not every player sucks. However, think of the analogy that you can do 100 nice things for someone - but that one time you do something wrong, what will they remember you for the most?

Color me jaded.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:30 PM
abforme2004
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabClaw
Well now. This isn't entirely true. Some friends of mine join the game. Yeah sure I'll hook them up twink them out what not.. But as to power leveling I am highly against that. I want them to learn stuff that I had to learn and know how hard It was back when I was a noob myself. Mostly so they get to know there class, none of that lvl 75 noob bs haha.. I know its not as hard as back in the day before the paved roads(PoK) and Maps. Still allows them to learn on there own. Peace

Keep it fun keep it real.

http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1180775
Decimator Xyther Bloodline of Xegony aka Guardian of the *Gods*(EQemulator)
Old 02-07-2007, 01:57 PM
gernblan
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfisque
to be honest, i have to say, there never was an expansion that lived up to Velious. they really dropped the ball after that one. PoP was "ok" and luclin has some nice graphics/models, but man velious was the whole thing: great quests, factions that made sense, really well done armor sets, well crafted zones. but thats just me.

== sfisquee
I could not agree more. Kunark and Velious were brilliant.

Oddly enough, Velious was the last expansion done by Verant. The following expansion, Luclin, was a travesty. Things like faction, etc. were destroyed and the game was turned into a horrible timesink.

While I'd personally like to see the newer zones (at least some of the DoN zones) available to us for use with the emu, I too think it would do more harm than good.

The beauty of the emu is that we can take what we have now and customize it--make it whatever we want it to be. At the same time though, TOO much content means that the overall quality of what we do goes down, because it's just too much for hobbyists like ourselves to handle.

I think focusinig on getting everything working right (including charms, all AAs through OOW, etc.) working, and all classes working fully, would be much better for the emu than to just throw more content at it.

A lot of the zones we do have remain unpopulated in the databases that are out now (which I am so grateful for--the work that has already gone into them is incredible!). That too, probably needs to be addressed. I mean, why throw more empty zones at the emu? I think the databases need to catch up to what we already have.

Once people can play through Omens and everything is tuned, then perhaps the emu might be ready to advance beyond titanium.

I do think though that 0.7.0 is in a sweet spot, and I'd hate to see it get too diluted before the content catches up to where everything is set now client-wise, as it is.

Quests too, so many not done, as well.

IN short, my opinion is freeze it, keep it right where it is, and let's all try to focus on fixing bugs, getting 100% caught up to titanium, and getting all of the content and quests working.

I am the ServerOP for Jest ][ by the way. Our goal is to provide content for every level, with a focus on 1-2 group raiding at the high end. We too are very concerned about ghost town mentalities. We're simply trying to create a server where the rewards ARE great, but yet one that the PL-me-and-gimmie-da-phat-lewtz-now-me-so-leet players aren't interested in.

For people like that, non-legit is the way. I don't want them killing the spirit of my server.

--Keelyeh
ServerOP and Developer
Jest ][

Last edited by gernblan; 02-07-2007 at 10:10 PM..