Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 07-07-2004, 10:40 PM
Draugr
Hill Giant

Default Questions on Customizing a database from scratch.

"I was going to post this in the 3rd Party Tools Forum, but wasn't sure if it would be the right place, so I opted to post here. Hope its the right forum to do so."

I am contemplating the idea of possibly going forward and building a database for a customized EQ server. I have some questions I'd like to ask and hopefully some of you might be able to help answer the questions. First, let me explain the concept behind my vision of my server.
I would like to build a EQ server that is almost 100% customized. I'd like to start with a blank or basic database and create my own items, quests, mob placement, loot tables, etc... The goal is to design the server to be less populated mob wise and to put a little spin on the typical EQ world and lore. Since I don't see my server ever holding more than 10 or 20 players I would like to go through zones and remove all the mobs that spawn, then re-fill that zone with similar mobs, but perhaps less than you'd find in EQ Live. This would make it easier for small groups or even solo players to explore the world and enjoy the game. I don't plan on making it too easy or the mobs too few and far between, but a train of 15 gnolls in Blackburrow on a solo or 2 or 3 player party is crazy. I'm also looking to create my own items that will be similar to the original D&D. Ex: A Longsword and Longsword +1, ect... I'd like to still use some of the default EQ items, but have the ability to remove any of the items I won't plan on using in my database. As for mobs, I'm not interested in altering their stats, just the ammount of mobs in a close area or the locations of certain mobs. Ex: Gnoll Commanders in Blackburrow might be placed elsewhere in the zone. So, I'll now list the questions I have and hopefully I'll get some answers. Sorry for the long message.

1. Is there a default EQ database that contains a basic item list and doors in all zones? Mob placement, and NPC placement won't be too important as I plan on removing most anyway and placing the mobs in different locations in the same zones.

2. I see a few item editors out there. Which is the most up to date and will allow easy editing of default items and creation of new regular and magic items?

3. Is there a guide or webpage that lists the general EQ process for creating NPCs and mobs? I mean lets say I wanted to create a level 15 Splitpaw Gnoll. Is there a formula or site that explains how many hit points, what Armor Class, and any special abilities the custom mob for that level should have? Basically, similar to D&Ds monster manual or Dungeon Master's Guide where there is a whole section that acts as a guide for a DM to create fair and balanced customized monsters. I'm looking for some info for doing so in EQ.

4. Is there a graphical program that would allow me to alter the zonelines and where they connect? I'm thinking about possibly altering the zones to make my own sort of world. Similar to the concept Winters Roar did. Is there a program to do this or is it something that can only be done as a GM logged into the actual server?

5. Spell Editors. Has any of you used them and are they easy to create new spells, or edit current spells? I'm just curious here, I don't think I'll go altering the spells at all, but who knows maybe I'll feel compelled to eventually.

6. Spawning & Moving Mobs. Is there a graphical based program that would make mob spawn placement and movement graphical and easy to do? I know there used to be EQ Admin, but that project seems to be old now and no longer updated. Are there any other programs that handle spawns and movements only, or more preferable a complete package like EQ Admin used to be?

7. Factions, does anyone have any info on this? Is it hard to create a custom set of factions? Is there a graphical program that makes designing and implementing custom factions easier?

[So in summary I'd plan to have.]

1. Custom items and some default EQ items in game.

2. Possible different zones linked via zonelines like Winters Roar.

3. Same Mob stats for each mob, but placed differently and less frequently in each specific zone I use.

4. The ability to be able to create balanced custom mobs. Not many, but a few here and there.

5. Default EQ spells.

6. All doors pre-placed.

7. Custom Factions if possible.

8. Custom Quests.

Well, I think thats all the major questions I had. I've been thinking about making my own custom world for a bit, but don't know too much about the utilities that are available. I figured it might be wise to ask the above questions and hope that some of you with world creation experience might be able to recommend specific tools or give advice on the best direction to accomplish a project like I'm envisioning.

Thanks
John
Old 07-08-2004, 12:17 AM
animepimp
Dragon

1. Yes there are several DBs with all the items and spawns and everything in the World Building Forum which is where this post should be.

2. I don't think any of the item editors are up to date with all the latest item changes, but I could be wrong. but My SQL can be used for it after you spend a little time figuring it out.

3. Doing #soawn and specifying the level of the mob and no other stats makes it pretty balanced usually, but maybe not on your server depending on how many good items the players ahve and stuff.

4. Theres no program for altering zones lines at all, they need to be editted in the DB manually.

5. Spells aren't too hard to create, but it does require distributing a custom spell file to everyone that plays on your server.

6. The EQ Client is a graphical program to spawn mobs with. YOu jsut log in and use various # commands.

7. Factions are very simple, you just create one with one line in the DB and assign whatever mobs you want to it.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:40 AM
Charmy
Discordant

1. As AP said yes, there are, govcheese has the best ones i belive, and there are a few others out there with oddball zones.

2. Mangoo's 3.0 is rather upto date i believe, although.. i don't do items on my server, the few i have added are easiest just to get an sql editor and type them all in manually

3. I think you suggested a great idea, get out a D&D manual and summon the monsters out of that, you want it to be customized don't use the old names for mobs use different ones.

4. EQAdmin used to, but i don't think there are any more out there right now, so just putting in the loc of the zonepoint right into the DB is your best bet.

5. That File being spells_us.txt, you would do best to ask KhaN about editing spells, he does most of the spell editing right into the spells_us.txt file instead of using a program.

6. #spawn to spawn the mob, #npc add (or somthing similar) to add to DB, and thats pretty much it, you can use the way point system to create tracks that the npcs will walk along as well.

7. Factions are easy, all stuff added into the DB, the only problem is the fact that the chain aggro is really bad somtimes, if a mob is close enough to another mob it will come to help it, the problem is if there are a chain of mobs close enough to together, they will all attack instead of just those closest to you like in eqilve.

8. Quests are fun to write, i suggest using the perl system, thats what i use, its easy, its fun, and its always go somthing new you can add to make it more fun.
Any Other Questions, please refer to the Following:
http://iliilllli1.netfirms.com