Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 01-09-2013, 04:07 PM
addingice
Sarnak

Default Any chance of a git/github migration?

Just wondering.

I realize that this project is older and so it's been on svn for a long while, but I would love to submit a lot of basic code clean up patches (since I love this project) but I don't bother because it's just not worth it for those tiny patches to jump through the hoops to get them to you guys.

with a github setup it's pretty simple to do so.

example simple fixes I'm talking about is in AA.cpp. lots of magic number things all over. aka,

spell_id = <insert magic number here>

None of which is a huge issue. It's not to bad to look up the values and figure out what they mean. But I would love to throw out a couple small patches fixing those minor things (ie, #define CELESTIAL_REGENERATION_2_ID 3250)

these minor fixes aren't a huge deal but it makes it real easy to pull in more programmers when these tiny pulls can be done. sort of a 'toes in the water' type thing.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Vexyl
Hill Giant

Personally, I like the way github works more so than google code.
It's very easy to fork, and git pull requests are extremely useful.

Also, it's nice to be able to see the amount of forks for a given project, and there are other small features that are just plain nice.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:11 PM
addingice
Sarnak

Agreed.

I also like the issues and tracking capabilities.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:29 PM
KLS
Administrator

We'll be switching to a new vcs at some point after the CMake changes. We haven't decided exactly on the specifics other than it will either be Mercurial or Git.

Git is a bit more mature in some respects for the core but Mercurial has significantly better support on Windows. Also should point out: when we change we will also move off of google code instead of use their git/hg option.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:58 PM
addingice
Sarnak

Awesome!

Anyone know how the support is for binary blobs in Mercurial?

I would love to set up an auto download / build / confirmation script for building a linux vm image.

ie, download this image and VirtualBox zip and your server works out of the box on a network. After that adding a simply script (python or something else simple) for modifying it for safety for using as a public-able server.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:10 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
We'll be switching to a new vcs at some point after the CMake changes. We haven't decided exactly on the specifics other than it will either be Mercurial or Git.

Git is a bit more mature in some respects for the core but Mercurial has significantly better support on Windows. Also should point out: when we change we will also move off of google code instead of use their git/hg option.
I actually got a little giddy (more than I probably should have) when I saw this CMake branch since EQEmu's build system is rather lacking. And moving to git/hg also gives me the same amount of excitement :P

Personally I would say git, but that's only because I know it better, but I can learn hg as well!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:44 PM
KLS
Administrator

Rather lacking is the nice way of saying it. I've heard good things from people who have used it so far. I have a few more changes I want to do before I reintegrate the branch but shouldn't be long.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:57 PM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

Another hopeful vote for GIT, it is getting better on windows pretty steadily. It has quite a few genuinely nice features overall.

Besides, how many serious servers use Windows? I am not trolling, im honestly curious.

Gary
Old 01-10-2013, 12:29 AM
KLS
Administrator

How many serious developers use Windows? A lot.

There aren't many servers hosted on Windows though. It is vastly easier to develop and debug under though. Also I mention it as something to consider not as a deal breaker.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Vexyl
Hill Giant

Quote:
How many serious developers use Windows? A lot.

There aren't many servers hosted on Windows though. It is vastly easier to develop and debug under though. Also I mention it as something to consider not as a deal breaker.
I disagree. I think it greatly depends on a person's experience, and what they're used to.
Linux and development tools designed for it are very powerful, and with experience with them, one can develop just as easily as someone with experience on Windows.

Some of the most commonly used tools on Linux may not be quite as intuitive as their Window's counterparts, but there are more user-friendly tools out there.
Even with the aforementioned tools an experienced developer can work quickly and efficiently.

It's simply a matter of what you're most comfortable with.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:38 PM
addingice
Sarnak

As a developer in a windows shop, let me tell you, we use git. It's passed the point where it was to painful to use on windows. That being said hg *is* still nicer to use on windows. not by a whole lot, but it is.

I just think the git ecosystem makes it superior to hg is all. github is a great example of why.

Git Gui, giggle, tortoiseGit, git visual studio plugin, ect..
Old 01-10-2013, 06:07 PM
KLS
Administrator

I think we'll probably go with git. Not sure if we're going to do a total repo conversion or just leave the old svn one up if someone wants to see the history. I've taken a crack at conversion and it is definitely not a quick process.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:55 AM
addingice
Sarnak

<squeeeee!>
Old 01-11-2013, 04:56 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Quote:
I think we'll probably go with git. Not sure if we're going to do a total repo conversion or just leave the old svn one up if someone wants to see the history. I've taken a crack at conversion and it is definitely not a quick process.
https://github.com/mackal/projecteqemu this took a few hours to do.

Just ran:
Code:
$ git svn clone --stdlayout https://projectname.googlecode.com/svn projectname
$ git for-each-ref refs/remotes | cut -d / -f 3- | grep -v @ | while read branchname; do git branch "$branchname" "refs/remotes/$branchname"; git branch -r -d "$branchname"; done
I then just deleted the other old branches a that showed up so there were only the ones that you see on Google Code (git branch -D <name>)

Code:
$ git remote add origin git@github.com:GITHUB_USERNAME/REPO_NAME.git
git push origin --all
Some other links: https://code.google.com/p/support/wi...ertingSvnToGit
http://git-scm.com/book/ch8-2.html
https://help.github.com/articles/imp...rom-subversion

Also: https://github.com/nirvdrum/svn2git would probably be better than what I did, but gentoo's svn2git appears to be a different project and after I emerged that it wouldn't work so I did what I posted above :P
Old 01-11-2013, 05:05 PM
KLS
Administrator

Yeah was using svn2git, but was taking a long time (45 minutes just for a handful of revisions on my admittedly slow Linux box). Problem is they are busy bees right now with RoF so wanna minimize disruption even for a few hours =/