Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 05:52 AM
Dragonlord3344
Fire Beetle

I actually enjoy this repack very much, i like the editable spells in the peq repack! makes it easy for me to make a completly custom server, spells, items and aas!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:26 AM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

It would be nice if the EMU project moved back from the "Guilty with no chance of being innocent because the staff said so" mentality.
Its not that much to ask for some proof that something is wrong, even if the best you can do is articulate in a thread what you believe to be the issue and what you have discussed with others.
That gives the general public insight into what ever the issue might be.

In this case it would be the repack and how Secrets believed it to contain a butchered piece of code to trick the login server to show a higher player count.

No need to go off half cocked and present the image that has been. Being a forum Guide doesn't excuse those actions. I would expect to see a better representation on these boards as these are the main EMU boards and people do read them.

As per the re-packs, its nice that someone would put them out there but while I download and save everything just to keep backups, I highly doubt I would want to trust them. Safer to preview the .cpp files and compile everything yourself.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfwalkereci View Post
In this case it would be the repack.
I can honestly say, I don't know much about this "repack", as I compile my
own, but is this repack something that is indeed "pre-compiled" from source ?
I also don't know much about this "altered code" that is in question here, but
does that particular "code" have to be altered before it's compiled and THEN
put the binaries in to the repack ?
Or is this a case where "someone else" downloads the repack, and then alters
something else, other than the source code AFTER they download it ?
Because if this so-called "alteration" has to be done in the source code before
it is compiled, but the the repack comes already compiled ????
I'm just trying to understand this a little more.
I just thought if someone had to alter the source code for this "hack" to
happen, wouldn't they just download the source from svn and go from there ?

But obviously, I assume that if someone downloaded the repack and after being
caught with this alteration, that the repack was also downloaded, by the admin(s)
and tested, when they were first made of aware of the little hack.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:54 AM
thiefzer0
Fire Beetle

Hi everyone! This looks very interesting. I had just downloaded all of the other software (except visual C++, I prefer dev C++ but thats just me), when I saw this. Am contemplating throwing up a small public pvp server with classic style rules. Thought it would be a fun challenge to attempt to go in and re-create EQ as I remember it, IE nothing past Luclin. Will give this repack a try; less time playing with setups is more time to play with configs ) Thanks again.

Before I run this, has anyone else run it to verify it's safe btw? I read the posts above and I see no damning evidence...
Also, what kind of hardware requirements are necessary to host a ... say 50 man server with this? Any help is welcome, thanks

~thief
Old 03-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Fulcrum
Sarnak

I'm running a similar setup right now...

I don't have it running on a machine with any important information, (bleached the machine, fresh XP install), but by every check I can think of it checks out pretty well... the machine it's on is a 7 year old retired business laptop on a shared wireless LAN. (850mhz-ish cpu, 2g ram, 60g HD.)

Now, I haven't 'pressure-tested' it with outside collections, yet, but I've had 12 static and 12 dynamic zones running all at once and notice no lag worse than the 'ol EQ servers had on rare occasion... even with a full group of characters and pets chewing up spawns in places like Befallen, Upper Guk, Blackburrow and the like.

.... and it might not even be 'lag' but all weapon and spell recharges lining up for a quarter-second of combat silence.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Suru
Fire Beetle

I got this to run fairly easy, grabbed peq database and maps/quests. edited the config files. It booted right up. It also appears to accurately be displaying the active character count to the login server.

I could never get the source to compile on my machine, too many issues with the source using out dated pearl libraries and having other issues with modern compilers. I'm sure if I had the exact version of everything in the guides it might compile. Tried pearl 510 and 512, set all the C++ directories, but the modules keep kicking out fatals. So this was a godsend, literally got this running in less then five minutes with no headaches.

hope they release another repack if they ever get around to fixxing more aas etc.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:13 PM
sorvani
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suru View Post
I could never get the source to compile on my machine, too many issues with the source using out dated pearl libraries and having other issues with modern compilers. I'm sure if I had the exact version of everything in the guides it might compile. Tried pearl 510 and 512, set all the C++ directories, but the modules keep kicking out fatals.
Followed the process in the updated guide and it all worked fine. Nothing is outdated. Latest version? No, but that isn't something unique to EQEmulator.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Suru
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorvani View Post
Followed the process in the updated guide and it all worked fine. Nothing is outdated. Latest version? No, but that isn't something unique to EQEmulator.

I already had perl, mysql, and visual studio on my machine. The reason mine won't compile i'm sure has to do with the guide using OLD versions of those applications. I use them for things other then eq emu, so I can't downgrade them. With up to date perl, mysql, and visual studio(all 64 bit versions) the source code does not compile. The compiler hangs with an issue with how the code interacts with perl. It also seems to have a problem using defines that conflict with stock libraries, and I'm not sure if the good old find and replace will be enough to fix that without delving deeper into the code.

This repack saves me the headache of scouring through the code to make it compile. I was going to just run a virtual machine using the old things to compile it, but this saved me the trouble.

It would be nice if someone could do this for the peq database as well, as half the updates fail without altering their scripts. I'm confused why they wouldn't just make full releases at every update.

The point is
It seems like getting eqemu to work is more of a headache then it needs to be. There is a lot of little screwball issues. I've never seen an official binary either. Its not like its a large file, I have to question why there are not any.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

Quote:
The reason mine won't compile i'm sure has to do with the guide using OLD versions of those applications
People who can't read, usually think everything is too hard or poorly put together.

The very first line of the guide for compiling the source is:

Quote:
If you are compiling using a 64 bit system:
Make sure to install and compile using the 32 bit (x86) version of MySQL Community Server 5.1.xx and the 32 bit (x86) version of ActivePerl
In fact it also works with the latest MySQL and I swear Ive done 5.12 perl when I wasnt thinking.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Suru
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryatis View Post
People who can't read, usually think everything is too hard or poorly put together.

The very first line of the guide for compiling the source is:

In fact it also works with the latest MySQL and I swear Ive done 5.12 perl when I wasnt thinking.
Again that doesn't help me because I have to have the 64 bit versions.

The pre-compiled repack binary works fine with latest 64 bit sql. As I said its most likely an issue with 64 bit Perl. The compile errors point to perl. Yes I did a find a replace for references to 510 and changed them to 512. That wasn't enough.

Now if you weren't just being a jerk, you would realize I said I knew my versions are probably the culprit for it not compiling.(I guess it is you who can not read) The main issue here is I'm saying I don't know why there isn't an official windows binary for eqemu. The setup process is so janky because the code is so finnicky. Why should I need to compile it in the first place? Why is there no public binary?

Also the guide is out of date because C++ directories changed their functionality in the newer visual studio. I actually already knew that, so knew where it was now located. (why would anyone still be using 2008?).

Referring to the January 11 guide.

Anyways I also said I knew how to fix it by running a virtual machine.
Seems like your just trying to either troll, or TLR'd my post out of lazyness.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:59 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Quote:
Why should I need to compile it in the first place? Why is there no public binary?
There are binaries available if you choose to go that way. You didn't search hard enough.

http://code.google.com/p/projecteqemu/downloads/list

Quote:
Also the guide is out of date because C++ directories changed their functionality in the newer visual studio. I actually already knew that, so knew where it was now located. (why would anyone still be using 2008?).
Because you can have 2008 and 2010 installed at the same time, and there really isn't any benefit to changing what works but there is definitely a cost.

You might be surprised to know that many of the games you might purchase and play today are being made with Visual Studio 2005 because it works and the effort/cost required to upgrade doesn't make any sense.

If you don't want to make the effort to get a server running using that guide that's fine, but don't assume that the guide is wrong because you didn't want to follow it correctly.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Suru
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst2112 View Post
There are binaries available if you choose to go that way. You didn't search hard enough.
http://code.google.com/p/projecteqemu/downloads/list
'

Your right, I didn't search harder then the forums here, peq and Google.
At least now people might find that easier by checking this thread.
Still mind boggling there is no mention of the binary anywhere in the guides or a link that I've seen.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:52 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Quote:
'

Your right, I didn't search harder then the forums here, peq and Google.
At least now people might find that easier by checking this thread.
Still mind boggling there is no mention of the binary anywhere in the guides or a link that I've seen.
I don't see many guides that reference the pre-built binaries, most likely because it is easy to build yourself, and you need to do almost all of the steps anyway to get all the folders in order. The binary availability also assumes that someone will volunteer their time to build and upload them, where building your own can be done at any time.

As for how obvious the link is...
Old 12-07-2011, 04:07 AM
pepsiphreak79
Sarnak

Since this is all open source its my contribution back.
I got a 2068 unmodified from what is the official releases bots repack built for all to have
Up and running in a couple clicks after you place your maps in

Moving post

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34574

Last edited by pepsiphreak79; 12-07-2011 at 04:36 AM.. Reason: moving post
Old 12-07-2011, 04:39 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiphreak79 View Post
Since this is all open source its my contribution back.
I got a 2068 unmodified from what is the official releases bots repack built for all to have
Up and running in a couple clicks after you place your maps in

Moving post

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34574
One post is enough. I advise people to compile from source themselves unless you want a potential trojan. The only official repack is the one on google code.
Closed Thread